HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Small Business - Experiences

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Small Business - Experiences   Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm

I know that there are many independent "small business" in the pipe making world... but it is not limited to pipemakers...

I have never been happier than when I decided to offer my services as an individual...

Small businesses often involve a number of people but smaller in number than large business.

I go "solo".... never been happier Very Happy

Are you in small business? Share your thoughts, if you care to...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:20 pm

what's your business (if it's any of my business)? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:29 pm

I bet its the business of being in business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Best part is, I can't get fired for smoking at work
and pissing away my time on pipe forums. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:10 am

Hermit wrote:
Best part is, I can't get fired for smoking at work
and pissing away my time on pipe forums. Laughing

cheers i'm quitting today! can i get a job as a pipe breaker-inner? a tobacco quality assurance tester (of only the ones i like, naturally).

a good friend of mine, in his mid-thirties, is a farmer and i really envy him. i'm mean, i know it's hard work, unpredictable, long days, but damn i envy him working the land and his cattle and all that. maybe he'd set me straight though and tell me how great a regular hours are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:41 am

bruins wrote:

I'm the grim reaper affraid . I retired early (55) after 30 years as a minister. Now I am strictly an officiant/celebrant at funerals. I have set this up as a "small business". Most of my services are for families who have no church, or want something different, or want little if any religion or for situations that are ackward for the family.

Yesterday, I officiated at a service for a popular man who died in a plane crash. The family were Jehovah Witness. The son who died was not a practicing JW and the family acknowledged they needed a service that would be comfotable for those who were attending (over 400). I basically led the "celebration of life" and the only reference to religion was in one of the eulogies by his brother who described himself to me as a JW pastor.

Today, I have a service for a professional golfer from South Africa. He has played on the Canadia tour. They have lived here for 8 years and he died suddenly while golfing with a friend. The spouse wanted a "brief service" and then the main celebration of life will be at a golf and country club. But she wants something very "light" religiously.

The thing about this I meet so many different people and situations. It's interesting and challenging. I can always "turn down" a request. Time spent is on my schedule and that is nice.

Here it is October 2 and I have officiated at two services, have 3 more coming up and turned down two and have had one inquiry...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

PostSubject: Re: Small Business - Experiences   Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Slow Puffs wrote:
bruins wrote:

I'm the grim reaper affraid . I retired early (55) after 30 years as a minister. Now I am strictly an officiant/celebrant at funerals. I have set this up as a "small business". Most of my services are for families who have no church, or want something different, or want little if any religion or for situations that are ackward for the family.

Yesterday, I officiated at a service for a popular man who died in a plane crash. The family were Jehovah Witness. The son who died was not a practicing JW and the family acknowledged they needed a service that would be comfotable for those who were attending (over 400). I basically led the "celebration of life" and the only reference to religion was in one of the eulogies by his brother who described himself to me as a JW pastor.

Today, I have a service for a professional golfer from South Africa. He has played on the Canadia tour. They have lived here for 8 years and he died suddenly while golfing with a friend. The spouse wanted a "brief service" and then the main celebration of life will be at a golf and country club. But she wants something very "light" religiously.

The thing about this I meet so many different people and situations. It's interesting and challenging. I can always "turn down" a request. Time spent is on my schedule and that is nice.

Here it is October 2 and I have officiated at two services, have 3 more coming up and turned down two and have had one inquiry...

fun fact about bruins, i was raised a jehovah's witness. left it several years ago, me and my brothers. good you could provide such a service. it's not a very accommodating religion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Small Business - Experiences
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1