HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's with the ads?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Carlos wrote:
 I will try to replicate this problem when I am in the hamshack on the Windows machine and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Carlos wrote:
Curious.  The only way I could see that ad, or the banner, as it changes.  Was to log out and kill Adblock Plus.  I then logged back in and it disappeared even with Adblock Plus off.  That is the way it is supposed to work.

I checked the main admin screen dealing with ads and it is set to limit ads.  Guests see them.

If you are seeing them, it is something in your browser that is allowing them though.  Emptying cache has always been the standard fix.  I will try to replicate this problem when I am in the hamshack on the Windows machine and see if I can figure it out.  But it's gonna take time.

Carlos, If you look back on this thread to it's beginning you'll find that there was one instant where jhuggett
said he forgot to pay the extra for eliminating the ads, maybe that's what happen? scratch
If this is correct I'm sure others including myself would be more then willing to donate a little cash to the website to keep them off and at the same show our appreciation to BOB and it's behind the scenes
creators and those who keep it up and running. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:45 pm

Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox got rid of them for me, without any deleterious effects on other sites that I can see, yet. Too bad the ads didn't bother me all that much. Ah, well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Ad Blocker Plus for Firefox got rid of them for me, without any deleterious effects on other sites that I can see, yet. Too bad the ads didn't bother me all that much. Ah, well.

The problem is the Ads don't suppose to be there at all when logged in. I too have gone back to Ad Blocker Plus to eliminate them but, the minute it gives me problems again, it's banished forever and I reckon I'll just suck it up and deal with the dad burn Ads. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:10 pm

If we all were seeing them when logged in and without Adblock Plus, then yes. Someone forgot to pay the bill. But that's not what's happening at the moment. Only some members are seeing them when logged in.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Flumuxed. Browsing history, caches, etc deleted. Logged out, restarted machine, logged in; no change confused Pretty confident it's not my end but can't be 100% as I'm not a computer wizard. Looks like for me the ads are here to stay 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 pm

Carlos wrote:
If we all were seeing them when logged in and without Adblock Plus, then yes.  Someone forgot to pay the bill.  But that's not what's happening at the moment.  Only some members are seeing them when logged in.

Hmm scratch
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Stick wrote:
Flumuxed.  Browsing history, caches, etc deleted.  Logged out, restarted machine, logged in; no change  confused Pretty confident it's not my end but can't be 100% as I'm not a computer wizard.  Looks like for me the ads are here to stay 5)

I reinstalled Ad Blocker Plus and the Ads are gone but, I suggest you only install it at your discretion see'en I've had minor problems linking to it in the past.
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:
Flumuxed.  Browsing history, caches, etc deleted.  Logged out, restarted machine, logged in; no change  confused Pretty confident it's not my end but can't be 100% as I'm not a computer wizard.  Looks like for me the ads are here to stay 5)

I reinstalled Ad Blocker Plus and the Ads are gone but, I suggest you only install it at your discretion see'en I've had minor problems linking to it in the past.

Ron,
Just installed ABP, restarted my machine and guess what... the ads are still there.
Yours,
Doubly Flumuxed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Stick wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:

Ron,
Just installed ABP, restarted my machine and guess what... the ads are still there.
Yours,
Doubly Flumuxed.

You sure you have it enabled? That's just weird otherwise cause I can't see any ads right now. scratch
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:27 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Stick wrote:

Ron,
Yours,
Doubly Flumuxed.

You sure you have it enabled? That's just weird otherwise cause I can't see any ads right now. scratch

Uninstalled and then re-installed. Seems to be working so far now Ron. Thanks for the guidance!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:32 pm

... and now they're back again. ABP is definitely enabled. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm going to bed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Carlos wrote:
If we all were seeing them when logged in and without Adblock Plus, then yes.  Someone forgot to pay the bill.  But that's not what's happening at the moment.  Only some members are seeing them when logged in.

I'm seein' em. But I don't really care. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:17 pm

Stick wrote:
... and now they're back again.  ABP is definitely enabled. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm going to bed.

That's weird Stick, couldn't tell ya what is going on there. scratch
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:29 am

An after thought. ..

I started seeing them on my phone at exactly the same time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:51 am

Stick wrote:
... and now they're back again.  ABP is definitely enabled. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

I'm going to bed.

It's the NSA ... they are compiling lists of smokers for Obamacare. pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:52 pm

Still seeing the ads.

In fact, a lot of them have to do with sites that advertise Filipino Women, Ukraine Women, Asian Women, and "Beth" that wants to "talk" with you. All on the click of a mouse. Gimme a break.......

Seriously, who in God's green earth is going to be taken in by these scams?  

I guess there must be a market for those lonely and gullible men who have nothing better to do than to choke the chicken over false photos in an unfulfilled fantasy of a serious relationship with some hot babe 20-30 years younger. Makes me want to barf!

Sure would like to find a way to eliminate this crap from slowing down this site (which it does). Yet based on comments from Ron it may be counterproductive.

Just having a rant..........

Mad

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:59 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Still seeing the ads.

In fact, a lot of them have to do with sites that advertise Filipino Women, Ukraine Women, Asian Women, and "Beth" that wants to "talk" with you. All on the click of a mouse. Gimme a break.......

Seriously, who in God's green earth is going to be taken in by these scams?  

I guess there must be a market for those lonely and gullible men who have nothing better to do than to choke the chicken over false photos in an unfulfilled fantasy of a serious relationship with some hot babe 20-30 years younger. Makes me want to barf!

Sure would like to find a way to eliminate this crap from slowing down this site (which it does). Yet based on comments from Ron it may be counterproductive.

Just having a rant..........

Mad

No Cheers,

RR

BD, I'm back to using AdBlock Plus and not having any problems (Knock on Wood).
If you down load it make sure you download it from There site so as to make sure your getting the original. Adblock Plus
Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:42 am

To be honest Rande, I've given up trying. I've installed adblock and am confident it's working as it should but I'm still seeing ads. That I'm seeing them on my phone too now makes me think that the snag is not this end. My new Asian wife tends to agree, though after chatting with Beth it seems I may need to reinstall adblock. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 pm

I am getting no such ads............

I used to do computer repair in the last decade or so, and most of the stuff that pops up on your machines is allowed by the user, in some way or another......

It might be good to go through your list of programs and internet browser add-ons and see if there was something you installed that allows those pop-ups....

If those options don't work, then there are more complicated options....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:38 pm

I see ads for child welfare agencies, auto parts, pipe fitter supplies, and Panera bread. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:59 pm

gravel wrote:
I see ads for child welfare agencies, auto parts, pipe fitter supplies, and Panera bread. Laughing

Much of what I see is ads for Filipino women, Ukraine women, Thai women, Asian women, etc. Some of the banners even include the option to send a message or a "gift".

This is complete BS afaic, and is an affront to the community. I don't ever visit sites such as those and never will. They can stick them where the sun don't shine for all I care.

It's a downer when your provider chooses to step as low as this.

Mad

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:16 pm

Logged in... logged out... I see the ads either way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Brewdude wrote:
It's a downer when your provider chooses to step as low as this.

Everyone's gotta make money somehow. One option would be BoB to host itself and install phpBB, and then run its own ads. The money would go toward hosting but members might need to guarantee that with donations if it fell short. I don't know what the traffic to this site is like but you're probably looking at $30 a month in hosting. This is why people turn to free services: they're easier and no money out of pocket which could be spent on tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
Stick

PostSubject: Re: What's with the ads?   Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:00 am

....anyone else getting pop ups? I have several over the last few days. Not sure if it's a forum thing.

(Android phone).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What's with the ads?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: