HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Don't Play With Possum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 am

Okay so I had a few glasses of wine and samples of cheese with friends and lots of pipe smoking and chatting. Came home a tad late.. Had left the light on in the chicken coop. Went outside to smoke some SG Best Brown Flake under the stars.. Then I heard the birds clucking away. So I pulled out my mini LED flash light and went to see what was going on.. My coop is fenced in good. Doors for the birds to get in and out open as normal.. Inside I spy a Possum just walking about. No dead chickens that's good. So I pull out my trusty Old Timer.. Jab.. Out the door the little bugger went.. I went out on the chase.. "Mistake"... I chase the little bugger up and down the outside fence. Now he is cornered. Jab with the old timer.. Good strike .... For him and me.. This little poop bit me before I could pull away.. drat.. my right hand is bleeding and he takes off.. Back into the chicken house cause I could not find him.. Not there.. Closed the coop after a yard search in the coop run.. On my way out there he was.. Dead Possum.. Hand bleeding.. Who won that one ? Well he looked frisky and full of crap at the time.. I did not know they were so fast.. He is in eternal sleep right now.. Safe chickens.. Washed with soap and water.. I don't think he was sick at all.. Note: Use a 22 cal. on these guys.. They are tough... Hand sore.. Heading to bed Piet... Thought you could use a good morning story with your coffee.. I have had enough for tonight.. I did finish my pipe before coming into the house.. Off to bed.. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
Falconer

avatar

Age : 66
Location : this side of Wichita
Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:43 am

Dang VE! You'd better get that wound looked at and I wouldn't wait, Possums are often rabid man. Don't take any chances.
serioulsly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

avatar

Age : 49
Location : HUDSON VALLEY NY
Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:48 am

Falconer wrote:
Dang VE! You'd better get that wound looked at and I wouldn't wait, Possums are often rabid man. Don't take any chances.
serioulsly!

Ditto. What Valky said.......
Better get it checked and and take the body to the health department for analysis. They'll test it for rabies and you'll have piece of mind knowing you won't have to go through rabies shots Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smokin' Blues

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Booneville, Kentucky
Registration date : 2009-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:49 am

Falconer wrote:
Dang VE! You'd better get that wound looked at and I wouldn't wait, Possums are often rabid man. Don't take any chances.
serioulsly!

I second third that! (Dover beat me to the post button) Rabies is some bad stuff!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am

Falconer wrote:
Dang VE! You'd better get that wound looked at and I wouldn't wait, Possums are often rabid man. Don't take any chances.
serioulsly!

I was thinking of rabies Falky.. But he looked in good shape.. Not crazy or anything plus it was a young one.. Fast too.. He is laying in the back yard.. I will find out where to take him too for checking out.. The boys at the sheriff department should know.. I worked there for over 30 years.. Raccoon's I would be heading to the Doctors right now.. But I will go to bed now and wait to see how the hand is.. Its sore now but not like getting bit by a cat.. I felt good it was dead so I can take it in if I have too.. Must be getting slower in my older age.. The wine might have slowed me down a tad.. Thanks for the feedback.. cheers
Chuck..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
Falconer

avatar

Age : 66
Location : this side of Wichita
Registration date : 2010-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 am

Possibly good news, I reckon I was wrong about possums often having rabies.You scared me man! See notes below.

It is VERY VERY rare for an opossum to carry the rabies virus. It has the most resistance to the virus of any mammal. You are more likely to encounter a rabid horse. yes, an opossum with rabies will die, but in the last ten days of its life, it would be contagious to humans. If you are bitten by an opossum, attempt to contain the animal, and call your animal control or other related agency. They can test the possum for rabies, so that you can be sure it isn't one of the rare ones who are not immune to the virus. This is the case for any animal bite.. including domestic animals like cats, dogs, and ferrets. for more information, go to the CDC website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:21 am

Falconer wrote:
Possibly good news, I reckon I was wrong about possums often having rabies.You scared me man! See notes below.

It is VERY VERY rare for an opossum to carry the rabies virus. It has the most resistance to the virus of any mammal. You are more likely to encounter a rabid horse. yes, an opossum with rabies will die, but in the last ten days of its life, it would be contagious to humans. If you are bitten by an opossum, attempt to contain the animal, and call your animal control or other related agency. They can test the possum for rabies, so that you can be sure it isn't one of the rare ones who are not immune to the virus. This is the case for any animal bite.. including domestic animals like cats, dogs, and ferrets. for more information, go to the CDC website.

Your a true Brother Falky.. I am heading to bed.. I got the cooling off bugger in the back yard.. It was not a deep bite.. But he had sharp teeth.. I will take his cold body into the proper place in the morning.. Going to use my 17 cal next time.. Just a spur of the moment thing.. Thanks for looking it up for me.. Sleep the sleep of sleepers my friend.. Very Happy
Chuck..

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
pistolero

avatar

Age : 48
Location : NC
Registration date : 2010-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am

I dub thee.... Possumslayer. king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:54 am

When I got bit by a cat I had made "friends" with
I was worried about rabies. They told me not to
worry about it, but if it were an opossum or a
raccoon they would have given me the vaccine.
You really oughtta take that little sucker in to
be tested. Better safe than dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:59 am

pistolero wrote:
I dub thee.... Possumslayer. king
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Mr. Possum Slayer!!! lol! lol! lol! lol!
We don't have those play dead things here, Roll over Valky quick man play dead!!!!!!

What's a Possum eh?????
Hope you are ok VE!
Back to top Go down
Ol'Dawg

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Northeast Georgia
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Another vote for taking the sucker to the health dept. for testing. You never can tell what was on that wire brush. ('Wink')

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:15 pm

even if you're not worried about rabies, infection is something you should be worried about. animal bites are nasty. you could get in a mess quick. go get it cleaned out and get some antibiotics. you don't want to lose your shutter finger!

but hey guru VE, you are a manly manly no doubt about it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum    Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

bruins wrote:
even if you're not worried about rabies, infection is something you should be worried about. animal bites are nasty. you could get in a mess quick. go get it cleaned out and get some antibiotics. you don't want to lose your shutter finger!

but hey guru VE, you are a manly manly no doubt about it! Very Happy

I am keeping a good eye on that shutter hand bruins.. Local pain for such a small bite but no swelling or color change.. Sort of like a cat bite.. But cat's hurt much more. I suppose I will bag that sucker up and try to find out where the right part of the heath department is.. If they want to charge me big funds for testing I will skip that and find the nearest trash bin. I think my body is doing a fine job of fighting off any infection starting.. But will keep an eye for any changes.. Off to the outside now to take care of that bothersome critter... Thanks for all the feed back Brothers..

cheers cheers cheers
Chuck..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
Hermit

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Ascension Parish
Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:30 pm

bruins wrote:
even if you're not worried about rabies, infection is something you should be worried about.

Tell me about it!
Since I was worried about rabies,
I immediately went to the clinic.
By the time I was seen, my hand
was all red, swollen and hot.
The thing got infected like a
Komodo Dragon bite. I hate to
think how bad it wouldda got
without strong antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:55 am

had the same thing happen with a small dog bite, hermit. damn near could have lost my hand over it. don't be such a frontier's man VE! you probably washed it out with whiskey and put some dirt on it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

avatar

Location : KCMO
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:10 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:42 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum    Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 pm

bruins wrote:
had the same thing happen with a small dog bite, hermit. damn near could have lost my hand over it. don't be such a frontier's man VE! you probably washed it out with whiskey and put some dirt on it!

You know me pretty good bruins.. Washed it out with a great deal home made ale and wine from a friend..Rubbed it good with some FVF... Possum germs did not stand a chance.. Next time I am not going to use some dumb little knife.. I have bigger knifes and a couple nice walking sticks...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:34 pm

velveteagle wrote:
Next time I am not going to use some dumb little knife.. I have bigger knifes and a couple nice walking sticks...

knives, walking sticks? maybe an inaccuracy on my part, but i like to think of you with an outside the belt desert eagle 50 cal on your hip as you travel around the wilderness. if that's anywhere near the truth, use that!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
velveteagle

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Allegan Michigan
Registration date : 2010-07-13

PostSubject: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:45 pm

bruins wrote:
velveteagle wrote:
Next time I am not going to use some dumb little knife.. I have bigger knifes and a couple nice walking sticks...

knives, walking sticks? maybe an inaccuracy on my part, but i like to think of you with an outside the belt desert eagle 50 cal on your hip as you travel around the wilderness. if that's anywhere near the truth, use that!


You are right.. I like the big calibers.. 10 gauge shotguns, 44 Mags, Something that works fast is my motto.. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/velveteagle
beebiz

avatar

Age : 57
Location : McKenzie, Tennessee
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:50 pm

Brother Chuck, you would do well to use a cannon of some sort against a darn possum!! When I was a teen, I watched as my dad shot a possum in the forehead six times with a .22... without the possum dying!!! Daddy was using shorts with round heads... only thing he had at the time. And, he was hitting the possum each time. You could actually hear the bullets as they ricocheted off his thick skull! Blood was flying everywhere, and the old possum was addled each time he was hit. But, he was still going until daddy shot him a couple of times in the body area!!!

Do please watch for infection. Possums are some of the nastiest animals alive. I know this first hand from a squirrel hunting trip back when I was 16. I had killed my limit that morning and was walking back to the truck. I noticed that there was a dead cow laying in the field. I could tell that she was bloated quite a bit from laying in the sun.

As I approached her carcass, I noticed some movement from her stomach area. As I watched, trying to figure out what was causing the movement, her stomach ruptured. When it did, I couldn't believe my eyes. Out of the carnage walked an old sow possum and two joeys (what the baby possums are called)!!!! All three of them were covered in rotten cow goo, grinning from ear to ear, licking their lips, and smacking so loudly that I could easily hear them.

Knowing how nasty these critters are, do keep a close eye on the bite! And, for goodness sake... DON'T EAT HIM!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bruins

avatar

Age : 48
Location : the heartland
Registration date : 2010-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:00 pm

beebiz wrote:
Brother Chuck, you would do well to use a cannon of some sort against a darn possum!! When I was a teen, I watched as my dad shot a possum in the forehead six times with a .22... without the possum dying!!! Daddy was using shorts with round heads... only thing he had at the time. And, he was hitting the possum each time. You could actually hear the bullets as they ricocheted off his thick skull! Blood was flying everywhere, and the old possum was addled each time he was hit. But, he was still going until daddy shot him a couple of times in the body area!!!

Do please watch for infection. Possums are some of the nastiest animals alive. I know this first hand from a squirrel hunting trip back when I was 16. I had killed my limit that morning and was walking back to the truck. I noticed that there was a dead cow laying in the field. I could tell that she was bloated quite a bit from laying in the sun.

As I approached her carcass, I noticed some movement from her stomach area. As I watched, trying to figure out what was causing the movement, her stomach ruptured. When it did, I couldn't believe my eyes. Out of the carnage walked an old sow possum and two joeys (what the baby possums are called)!!!! All three of them were covered in rotten cow goo, grinning from ear to ear, licking their lips, and smacking so loudly that I could easily hear them.

Knowing how nasty these critters are, do keep a close eye on the bite! And, for goodness sake... DON'T EAT HIM!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Robert

lovely stories beebiz. cherry and bright, christmas and rainbows. please gran-papa, tell us another one... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 pm

In parts of southern Africa, it's leopards that might be raiding the chicken coop. Shocked

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beebiz

avatar

Age : 57
Location : McKenzie, Tennessee
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:29 pm

bruins wrote:
lovely stories beebiz. cherry and bright, christmas and rainbows. please gran-papa, tell us another one... Very Happy
No problem, little Bru!! Give "gran-papa" his pipe back and he'll tell you about the time he served roasted Rudolf and baked Frosty the Snowman for supper after cooking them over a fire built with Pinocchio!!!
lol! lol! lol!

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Don't Play With Possum   Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:31 pm

Just wondering ,,,after playing mountain man and slaying the beast, are you going to have it mounted????? Very Happy

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Don't Play With Possum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Don't blame April's parents for letting her play outside By JAN MOIR
» Places to play in Winnipeg
» Gateway to Role-Play
» ALL I DO IS WORK....and drink beer....and play video games ;)
» Ricardo Caliente - Panpipes Play Abba @Wav

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: