HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

BoB POY??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I got to thinking after seeing one of Natch´s posts on a new Michael Parks commission pipe.

Has anyone thought of maybe having another BoB Pipe of the Year done? It´s been a couple of years now, and there are so many super talented pipe making members that it would be a waste to not to get the community in action by commissioning something.

It might be a little late, but a 2011 Christmas pipe might not be out of the question if we get on it.

Anybody else interested?

Chime in!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I had just posted on another thread about my Tinsky BoB pipe of the year. It's a fantastic smoking pipe. I'd be up for one.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Carlos organized the last POY.. may I suggest you check with him and if he's not interested possibly take on the project yourself?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I would consider
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:10 pm

I would be more than happy to be involved in any way. I´ll contact Carlos and see where he stands...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Well, I searched high and low, but all the threads are lost from the 2008 POY. This is the shape we had. With less of a curved shank.

Tinsky Shape 13

Our timing was perfect. Mark came out with a shape that matched what we were thinking about at the time and he was gracious enough to handle nearly all the work. He set up a link on his web site and we simply promoted it. Mark handled all the orders and payments. He also offered a lot of options and finishes. All the BoB Forum pipes were stamped upon request. The shape is a squat bulldog.

That is one way to handle a project like this. Other ways usually involve finding a carver and collecting money. Deciding on a shape and finish that works for all. Sometimes pipes are mailed to one person and other times by the carver. Different ways of doing it brings it's own problems. I have gotten some really nice pipes over the years. Some of the finest value for the money pipes were a Lee Von Erck, a Morretti, a couple Rad Davis, a Peterson, and several Mark Tinsky pipes. Others for sure have slipped my mind.

I am all for discussion on it. See if we can get some idea of numbers. A consensus on the shape and cost. Not so sure I have the time to ramrod it. So, let's discuss it and see what we come up with.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Carlos wrote:
Well, I searched high and low, but all the threads are lost from the 2008 POY. This is the shape we had. With less of a curved shank.

Here's mine:
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Probably the most important thing would be to ascertain how many people would commit and within what price range per pipe we could agree on. I seem to remember a poll of some sort along those lines.

One thing I would suggest is to limit the search for a maker within the BoB community. We can keep it "home grown" that way. I have no idea how we could come to a consensus on who to approach, however.. Perhaps a poll of some sort? How´d that work last time? The only drawback with that approach might be hard feelings by those not chosen etc. Like I said, I don´t know.... Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: BoB POY??   Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:08 am

as long as they're not finished in olive oil

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

BoB POY??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: