HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Altitude and pucker factor about the same

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Sun May 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Highway 50 over Echo Summit is getting some repairs. The road is closed over the pass for 2 weeks. They chose this 2 week period (began a few days ago) because it was after the winter weather and before the summer push of tourism at Lake Tahoe.

The best laid plans......

Echo Summit pass is your typical high mountain climbing winding road with a particularly nasty stretch that hugs a mountain cliff with a sweet little thousand foot drop into oblivion just over the miniscule retaining wall. That wall was crumbling away, thus the construction. And yours truly was lucky enough to be up there running concrete. It was a bit tricky and nerve wracking in broad daylight on thursday. Last night in the snow was a whole different matter. I don't think I've ever been in such a state of calm, measured intense focus like that before.

Barely made it down off the mountain. They called us up there in the middle of the night to pour to beat a storm coming in. They guessed wrong. I arrived at midnite, it started snowing 5 minutes later. It was 90 minutes before I began making my way back down the mountain empty. Getting the 70 thousand pound pachyderm up there wasn't nearly as bad as getting it's 30 thousand pound ass back down empty in a blizzard.

Picks of Echo Summit in nice weather:

Looking over the edge at the top:

And here was last night:

PostSubject: Re: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Sun May 15, 2011 9:18 pm

YIKES !!!!!!!!!!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Frost

Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Sun May 15, 2011 10:02 pm

You sir, are a brave man. Glad everyone made it down ok. I hope they pay well Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Sun May 15, 2011 10:38 pm

JD, did you ever watch the Discovery Channel's IRT:Deadliest Roads? If you enjoyed your little adventure, you should take a trip to northern India. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Mon May 16, 2011 8:37 am

No thank you LL. Seen a little of that, and Ice Road Truckers too. I have enough adventure right here, thank you.

Yes we were paid well for it, premium double time (premium paid for early/late hour start time, double time for it being on sunday) worked out to a tick over $60 an hour. I guess I'm a whore. I wouldn't do it again like that for anything but the money Laughing I am actually looking forward to going back up, we've got a few more pours left, but I rather prefer sunshine with my cliff dwelling. Never been much of a snow bunny.....

Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Altitude and pucker factor about the same   Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Glad you got down the mountain ok!

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Altitude and pucker factor about the same
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1