HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Tornado weather even in northern California

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed May 25, 2011 10:39 pm

This is one insane period of extreme weather across the nation. I don't in any way mean to put this on par with the devastation in the midwest, but tornadoes do not happen in California so it's really amazing. A tornado in California is about as rare as snow in Mexico. We had reports of 5 different tornadoes touch down this afternoon about an hour north of Sacramento, all in rural areas, all very brief and doing no reported damage. But, one was caught on tape by a news helicopter:

http://www.kcra.com/video/28028033/detail.html

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 pm

What's ironically funny is that Edgar Cayce predicted that "earth change" catastrophies would kick into high gear around the turn of the millenium back in the 1940s.

(The floor is now open for ridicule).

What a Face
Back to top Go down
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed May 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Yak wrote:

Edgar Cayce

What a Face

Havenīt thought of that guy for ages! Interesting guy....

Kind of a 20th century Nostradamus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 12:00 am

Yak wrote:
What's ironically funny is that Edgar Cayce predicted that "earth change" catastrophies would kick into high gear around the turn of the millenium back in the 1940s.

A perfect example of how your prejudices distort & color your interpretation of data, Yak.

I worked (as a data processing "stringer") for Tom Grazulis' The Tornado Project back in the 90's, which was/is the compilation of tornado research in general, but could only find sufficient funding by serving as the de facto gathering of statistical information for actuarial use by insurance companies.

One of the surprises? California has---and has always had---far more tornadoes than anyone suspected. People just didn't realize it because they kept thinking the ones they saw were freakish exceptions... because everybody "knew" California didn't have tornadoes. Laughing The same thing was/is true in Massachusetts and Florida.

So... now we can add end-of-the-world psychics to the things you believe in?

Give me strength. No

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rad Davis

Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 12:25 am

Yak wrote:

What a Face

Harold Camping predicted the same thing more recently. Twice. No, three times now.

Rad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://raddavispipes.com/pipes.htm
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 7:38 am

LL wrote:
California has---and has always had---far more tornadoes than anyone suspected.

Well, as a resident of the state since 1967 and having lived both in the north and south state, I ca honestly say that this is the first actual proof of a tornado that I've ever seen. There have been some strong dust devils that have toppled a shed and put some ol boy on the news (I never seent it but it blew my shed over and moved it 15 feet!) but I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of an actual tornado here until the last couple of years. Maybe it's the modern sciences and the vast myriad of recording devices now out there (like the news copter that caught this one) but tornadoes just didn't (seem) to ever be a part of our weather make-up. Even now, with the apparent onset of this phenomenon, what we're getting, though bizarre and frightening, is but child's play compared to a real midwest twister. I'll take hurricanes and earthquakes over those twisters any day.

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 8:06 am

Quote :
So... now we can add end-of-the-world psychics to the things you believe in?
The conceptual boxes you operate in are too small for me to fit into, and they're too rigidly constructed to modify. So, no. "End-of-the-world-psychics" are not things I believe in.

God, yes (unique category). With other-than-God matters, belief is the wrong term because it implies inappropriate assumptions. That's one of the problems that people who speak English (hence, think in English) are subject to. If we had a better vocabulary of more precisely-defined concepts, we'd be better off. Absent this, "belief" gets abused by default.

Then again, the way we think we are (self-awareness) and the way others see us are two different matters, so self-reportage is suspect right off the bat. Given our capacity for rationalisation, "infinite" may not be an inapplicable term where people are concerned after all. (At a minimum, "illimitable").

I noted the Cayce business because it came to mind (on the principle that if the wind always blows in the same direction the trees grow crooked) in the expectation of ridicule which, sure enough, appeared by reflex action.

What a Face

Back to top Go down
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 8:08 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
LL wrote:
California has---and has always had---far more tornadoes than anyone suspected.

Well, as a resident of the state since 1967 and having lived both in the north and south state, I ca honestly say that this is the first actual proof of a tornado that I've ever seen. There have been some strong dust devils that have toppled a shed and put some ol boy on the news (I never seent it but it blew my shed over and moved it 15 feet!) but I can't recall ever seeing or hearing of an actual tornado here until the last couple of years. Maybe it's the modern sciences and the vast myriad of recording devices now out there (like the news copter that caught this one) but tornadoes just didn't (seem) to ever be a part of our weather make-up. Even now, with the apparent onset of this phenomenon, what we're getting, though bizarre and frightening, is but child's play compared to a real midwest twister. I'll take hurricanes and earthquakes over those twisters any day.

I'll have to go to the Significant Tornadoes books for the numbers, but will try to remember the next time I dig through my stored stuff. Literally every tornado ever recorded---starting in the late 1600's (!)---is listed with full particulars + maps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 8:11 am

Yak wrote:
...in the expectation of ridicule which, sure enough, appeared by reflex action.

No, it appeared as the result of my knowing something about both subjects: tornadoes, and the track record of psychics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

Quote :
knowing something about . . . the track record of psychics.
You could make the same generalisation about the track record of investors in the stock market. And come to an equally meaningful conclusion.

Or, so it seems on this end, at least.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 9:04 am

We had several here in central IL yesterday. All minor damage.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 am

Carlos wrote:
We had several here in central IL yesterday. All minor damage.

Illinois gets some biggies now and again. Even Chicago isn't out of the high risk zone:

Quote :

On April 21, 1967, a devastating tornado struck Oak Lawn. [1] At 5:30 p.m., an F4-estimated tornado touched down near Palos Hills.[2] It strengthened and, in the space of six minutes, tore a 16.2-mile (65 mph ground speed) swath of destruction through Oak Lawn, Hometown and Evergreen Park, and devastated the south side of Chicago before moving offshore to Lake Michigan as people were stuck in traffic during Friday rush hour. For that reason, this tornado ended up being the deadliest in the outbreak. It was also, at that time, the deadliest tornado to hit a U.S. urban area. Thirty-three people were killed and there were 1,000 injuries. There were 16 deaths alone at the intersection of Southwest Highway and W. 95th Street in Oak Lawn. It destroyed 152 homes and damaged 900, causing $50 million in damage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StatHaldol

Registration date : 2011-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Thu May 26, 2011 10:01 am

We had a small tornado here in my parish last night (Louisiana). Not much damage, just some roof damage from hail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:25 pm

LL wrote:

One of the surprises? California has---and has always had---far more tornadoes than anyone suspected. People just didn't realize it because they kept thinking the ones they saw were freakish exceptions... because everybody "knew" California didn't have tornadoes. Laughing The same thing was/is true in Massachusetts and Florida.

I guess that awareness thing has been taken care of for a while:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43242642/ns/weather/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Tornado weather even in northern California   Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:23 pm

We just had another touch down an hour north of here a few minutes ago, local television is tracking other thunder storms with rotation. We had hail here on the patio 90 minutes ago, on the first of june. Damn strange.

Tornado weather even in northern California
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1