HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Losing Weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm

I dropped 10 pounds in 10 days and heard that nicotene is actually beneficial in aiding weight loss. This rules! Looks like I'll be upping the ante on pipe smoking and coffee drinking. Losing weight while maintaining a healthy prostate. Win win.
Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Laughing Good luck with that! I lost over 60 pounds, and yes I still smoke my pipes, but the (safe) way to permanent weight loss is with a change in diet and making serious exercise a permanent part of your life. It's kind of tough to workout hard and smoke. After 90 minutes pumping iron or a 45 minute run, I seldom come straight home and think "Man, a smoke sure sounds good right now" Laughing I smoke on my non workout days, which has cut my smoking down to a couple or three times a week. Given the price and scarcity of tobacco (and the fact that it's about to get a lot worse), this is probably a good thing. What was looked at as a 5 or 6 year stash will likely last me 15 or more years now.

Milan

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm eating a 12' Subway for lunch and dinner, drinking a blueberry yogurt shake for breakfast, and walking 2-3 miles a day. It works for me. I'm tired of being fat. I was just glad to hear my pipes were going to be an asset in the process.
Cheers,
Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
itsKot

Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:03 pm

I've been losing some weight myself since the beginning of the year by making diet and lifestyle changes myself. But a caution, try not to lose too much too fast, that's how the excess skin problem starts. From what I've read it seems 3-5 pounds a week for a male is healthy. So as you progress, you'll want to make sure you're in that area or even below it, the deeper into loss you get the less drastic the week-to-week will be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Milan wrote:
I'm eating a 12' Subway for lunch and dinner...

Wow.

EIGHT of these three footers...

http://www.subwayohio.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=1_3&action=product

...each day?!

I'm impressed. I don't think even Puff "Big-as-a-Pro-Wrestler" Daddy ever ate that much.

I wouldn't guess losing weight would be possible on an 100,000 calorie-per-day diet, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:34 pm

" , that would be a lot of eating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:23 pm

itsKot wrote:
From what I've read it seems 3-5 pounds a week for a male is healthy.
Actually, no, that's too much. 2-3 pounds a week is considered healthy, although the first couple of weeks of a diet you can see 5 pound drops.

I did a hell of a lot of research when beginning my change in lifestyle a couple of years ago, a change away from the standard American diet and into a healthy manner of eating and exercise. I stayed away from the alleged "Diet experts" and found a physiologist with some credentials - US Olympic speed skating coach and exercise physiologist of over 20 years, Lyle Mcdonald. He does not try to sell a diet - in fact picks apart the fad diets and shows them for what they are - but instead, through experience with actual professional and amateur athletes and his science background, proves and disproves the facts and myths of food, exercise and the way the body responds.

Here's a podcast with Lyle (quite lengthy but worth every minute): http://realitybasedfitness.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/podcast-4-lyle-mcdonald/

Here's the Readers Digest version of the principles:

If you are fat and out of shape you weight train to lose weight and build a stronger body. Weight training breaks down muscle tissue which you then build up again through diet. You eat 1.5 grams of lean protein per pound of lean body mass daily (Example: I weigh 215 pounds but have a lean body mass of 180 pounds) and get your carbs from vegetables. Fats from fish and olive oil is great. You must also be consuming a total caloric intake of aprox 500 calories per day less than what you need to maintain your present weight (if you're eating 2800 cals a day and you don't gain or lose, then you need to begin eating 2300 cals a day). You also supplement with fish oil pills (cheap and healthy) to get a higher level of amino acids in your blood chemistry. High protein, complex carbs only, lots of essential fatty acids.

No bread, no sugar, no alcohol!!! This stuff is poison to your blood chemistry and is only useful to the athlete who burns off large amounts of calories through very high amounts of activity.

When you weight train about 4 days a week and throw in 2 days of low impact cardio and eat as described above, your body will not only build muscle quickly but will utilize your stored fat cells because you are not giving your body excess simple carbohydrates in your diet. If you eat a high protein diet and eat the simple carbs, you will build muscle but will not lose fat - you'll be fat and muscular.

Subway is bad, unless you're throwing away the bread. If you eat sub sandwiches and do not exercise, your fat loss will be short lived. It's a marketing ploy and voodoo science.

You build a bigger, healthier machine, that's how you lose weight, keep it off and stay healthy. More muscle burns more calories, even at rest. There is no other way that is long lasting, it's what athletes do and it's what works, it's human physiology. Weight train for life, make it fun, you only compete against yourself.

MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks PD!

I desperately need to get into better shape. Its been about 6 years since I last went to the gym and Im feeling it. Im not overweight, but totally "out of use".

Im getting inspired here... pig
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 pm

And just so anyone reading this doesn't think I'm full of crap, here's a before and after. The fat guy pic is me after my surgeries in 2008 december, and weighing 280 pounds. The skinny guy pic is me 4 months ago.

MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:12 pm

Wow man, congrats! Thats a real turnaround! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Not bad for being almost 50 Laughing . The grey hair is still there, and the sore kness, and the sore back, and the........... But hell, I feel better Laughing

When I was young I said Fuggit, I'll die young (better to burn out than to fade away). Now I tell the reaper I'll whup his ayuss if he even thinks about it (I've got too much invested now) Laughing

Eat meat and lift heavy stuff Cool

dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey puff daddy, great job! I've started changing my lifestyle recently as well and have found it very rewarding. I'm trying to lose weight from the same number you started at, 280. I'm down to 271 as of last week and am feeling great! Do you have any good tips for shrinking excess skin?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Nice try there, JD, slippin' a 1996 pic in as the "after" shot. Laughing

Ya had me goin' for a minute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:14 am

LL wrote:

Nice try there, JD, slippin' a 1996 pic in as the "after" shot. Laughing

Ya had me goin' for a minute.

No, feb 13th 2011 at my granddaughters birthday party. Can take a current photo holding a newspaper with date showing if that's what it takes.......

UberHuberMan wrote:
Do you have any good tips for shrinking excess skin?

I don't know what to say, I don't have excess skin hanging off me, didn't realize that this was an issue. I guess everyone's different. Circumcision joke here?

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:16 am

[quote="Puff Daddy"]
LL wrote:

UberHuberMan wrote:
Do you have any good tips for shrinking excess skin?

I don't know what to say, I don't have excess skin hanging off me, didn't realize that this was an issue. I guess everyone's different. Circumcision joke here?

Hah! That's great that you didn't wind up with that issue. I've been a big man for a long time and am now taking steps to live a healthier, happier, more active life and am a that this issue may arise for me. I've started doing weight watchers, I bike a lot, and I've started weight training.

What sort of exercise regiment do you follow? Perhaps that's the key to avoiding this problem all together.
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:05 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
What sort of exercise regiment do you follow? Perhaps that's the key to avoiding this problem all together.

I don't know if there's a key to avoiding it other than your size and genetics. The idea is that you don't try to get skinny, you try to get muscular. You don't try to lose weight, you train to build muscle like a body builder does and as a bi-product the weight comes off. The end result you want is a lean muscular frame, not a weak but skinny frame. You have to approach it with the correct mindset - I am going to become an athlete and it's going to be fun! I may never compete against anyone for anything, doesn't matter. I train, I have fun training. When I'm sore and it hurts, I like it (after a couple of weeks you will begin to like it).

Weight lifting routines are usually 5 sets of aprox 8 reps of the heaviest that you can manage. The first set can be a little light to acclimate your muscles, but then you should be pushing enough that you can barely get that last rep up. It's also OK to lighten that last set a little to get your reps in because you'll be fatigued by then. No more than 45 seconds rest between sets. A minute or two of rest before moving on to the next exercise is fine.

My routine is simple. [I mix it up a lot but this is a good example of how I go about it] Day one, chest and triceps. I use mostly Hammer strength isolation machines for chest work and cable pulls for triceps.

Chest: 5 sets of aprox 8 reps on five different machines which hit five different angles (so I'm doing five different exercises, 5 sets of each exercise, 8 reps in each set) - super incline, flat bench, incline and decline - then flys on a machine. The weight differs greatly with the angles - I usually only push 110 pounds on super incline but go 230 on the decline. I start the first set a bit light, add weight for 3 more sets, take a few pounds off on the last set (to get in my reps cuz by then I'm fatigued). Triceps cables is just 4 sets at 4 different hand angles and widths. I'll do a set of chest work then a set of triceps and back and forth. I usually finish up with 15 minutes of cardio on a machine.

Day two, legs and biceps. Squats, deadlift, leg press, leg curls, calf raises. For biceps, bar curls (45 pound bar with 40 pounds of plates), then close grip preacher curls in an iso seat, incline bench dumbbell curls, hammer curls. Again, one set legs, one set biceps, and on and on, followed by a little cardio.

Day three, shoulders and core. Various military presses, dumbell lifts, flys, shoulder shrugs, etc.. For core I do a lot of mountain climbers and roman chair work and crunches.

Day four is the back muscles and more core work. I mostly use Hammer Strength iso machines for back work - pull downs and one arm rows - some cable pull rows, etc.

I'll run a couple of days in between weight training days, or do some high intensity interval training tabatas.I usually try to weight train a couple of days in a row then lay off a couple of days and just run to break things up and give the body time to rest.

I recommend this youtube channel for information on specific exercises, good show of form: http://www.youtube.com/user/Instructionalfitness

Good channel for core and tabatas (this guy is a trainer at the gym I go to and is excellent): http://www.youtube.com/user/KSVFitness?feature=mhee#p/u

dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks for laying that out for me. It sounds like finding a good trainer would be advantageous to getting started. Right now, I'm doing a workout that I designed myself, but it is entirely arms, chest, and shoulders so it looks like I need to expand.

The channels look great and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on them. Thanks for the advice and congratulations on your success!
Back to top Go down
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Can sit outside here and lose ten pounds; 95 degrees, 80 something percent humidity lol. sunny but in all seriousness if its just weight you are looking to loose aerobics is the way; bicycling, especially in this heat, will make you drop weight really quick if you do it for about an hour 5 days a weak or so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
NeroWolfe

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:10 pm

The only thing that works for me to lose weight is to reduce the carbs as much as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Losing Weight   Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:00 pm

I remember reading that if you do 80 minutes areobic at 80% HR capacity daily you will be exactly the weight youre supposed to be, regardless of what you eat.

For while I was doing approx 1 hour on a stair machine or walking machine and then a 45 minute spinning class 4xs a week. Ive never been in better shape ever. I got to the point where I just never got tired. Almost addictive in a strange way.

After my son came along I have gotten back to my lumpy self again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Losing Weight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1