HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe Mud For Cobs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Pipe Mud For Cobs   Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:05 am

While wood glue works wonders repairing split shanks and cracks in bowls, Pipe Mud should be something every cobber is familiar with. If you win old/new stock cobs fron eBay, or remove the inner shank from a MM cob, Pipe Mud needs to be used to reinforce the often soft bottom of the bowl.

Yes, it's called Pipe Mud, because it's used on cob pipes, but it isn't made with pipe tobacco ash. Pipe Mud should be made from Cigar Ash, since such mud will be denser and stronger. All according to how many pipes you'll be working on, you need to collect ash for several cigars; real cigars, not little cigars or cheap ones made with non-tobacco filler. When you're ready to use the Pipe Mud, slightly break up the cigar ash, and add just a few drops of water or spittle, and miss a very stiff paste. I use a folded bristle pipe cleaner to apply a thin coating to the area needing to be reinforced. Waiting a minute or so, add several layers of Pipe Mud, and smooth it out. Set the repaired/reinforced cob aside for 3-5 days to allow it to harden and cure before smoking it. Maybe we should start calling it Cob Mud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Mud For Cobs   Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:48 am

Going to be working on some old cobs with cob mud this weekend. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Mud For Cobs   Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:05 pm

I second this procedure. That Pipe Mud is some tough stuff - incredibly hard. Although I prefer to install a wood plug in the bottom of my MM Cobs with soft bottoms, i've never had a problem with this either.

I mean - who wants to drill out a vintage cob? This works just as well IMHO. BTW, when the mudding was nearly complete, I used the flat end of my pipe nail to smooth out the bottom (the stem section inside the bowl was removed with a dremel).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lestrade

Registration date : 2011-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Mud For Cobs   Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Rob, thanks for the dremel tip!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Mud For Cobs   Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 pm

Back to top Go down