HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

H.P. Lovecraft

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
murfman

Registration date : 2011-12-05

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:41 am

Guys, you should definitely check out the excellent HP Podcraft.com podcast. They have been reviewing all of Lovecraft in order it was written. It is awesome and funny. They also have raised money by doing some full readings. You should all check it out.

[Edit]
I couldn't post links when I first mentioned this site. So here is the link.

http://hppodcraft.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:25 pm

You, of course, can read all his writings for free on the web at The H.P. Lovecraft Archive
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Late to the sacrifice, as usual, but by the Black Goat of the Wood with a Thousand Young, that's a killer tattoo, Anthony!

As with Clark Ashton Smith and Robert E. Howard, the other two main progenitors of modern weird fiction and buddies of HPL, I absolutely adore Lovecraft despite his many manifest warts. He truly was one of a kind, and his legacy speaks for itself--a friend just attended the annual Lovecraft Film Fest in Portland, and she reported it as being a real blast. Hope to make it out there myself, one of these strange aeons...

And hey, if you chaps like Lovecraft but haven't given Smith or Howard a shot, you might dig'em--of the three, Smith was the only one with a sense of humor, pitch black though it is, and his stuff is woefully under-read these days, whereas Howard, despite being the weakest writer of the three, at least has the enduring legacy of Conan the Barbarian to warm his hoary shade. Both are at their best when they're doing more fantastical pieces ala Lovecraft's Dreamlands cycle, but also wrote, or attempted, contemporary horror. They really helped create and define Lovecraft's Mythos--we often think of an artist being solely responsible for their creations, but even if the stories they wrote weren't proof enough, the letters the three writers exchanged make it very clear that they had a symbiotic relationship, feeding off of folklore and earlier authors, such as Arthur Machen, Algernon Blackwood, Poe, the Gothics, etc, in order to jointly create the Mythos people often wholly credit to Lovecraft. Best of all, as with HPL all their stuff is public domain, so you're spoiled for choice when it comes to finding affordable or free editions of their work.

Ia! Ia!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 am

I've enjoyed Lovecraft's stories since high school. I grew up playing the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game which is based on the Cthulhu Mythos.

There are two great Lovecraft related films...both black & white (though made in the last few years). They're done by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society.
* The Call of Cthulhu
* The Whisperer in Darkness

Though not Hollywood big budget films they are done exceptional well. Google them or look for their trailers on youtube...good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Back to top Go down
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:24 pm

thanks Geoff, that made me burst out laughing, I hadn't seen that one before Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Why vote for the lesser evil?
Back to top Go down
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:38 pm

So, now that I'm finally done with school and have time to read, I finally decided it was time to introduce myself to H.P. Lovecraft's work. I've never read any before, why I have no clue. You fellows seem to think he's an okay author, so it can't be that bad.

Picked up the complete works at B&N for $8. Perfect timing considering Halloween is just around the corner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:36 pm

Enjoy! The entire collection is online and in the public domain. Most of his stuff is short stories and a few longer stories that are really great. He spawned a whole generation of writers that kept his style and stories alive. August Derelth was another writer that comes to mind.

I grew up in New England in a wooded area. Winters are real gloomy in Connecticut and always had weird glow when your in the woods by yourself. Lovecraft captures that feeling and lets your imagination form the real horror. Not many writers can write good horror story that lets the reader invent their own nightmare. Probably stems that he was bed ridden as a child/teenager and his imagination created his own world and lets the reader do the same.
Back to top Go down
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:44 pm

friar_jay wrote:
I've enjoyed Lovecraft's stories since high school. I grew up playing the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game which is based on the Cthulhu Mythos.

There are two great Lovecraft related films...both black & white (though made in the last few years). They're done by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society.
* The Call of Cthulhu
* The Whisperer in Darkness

Though not Hollywood big budget films they are done exceptional well. Google them or look for their trailers on youtube...good stuff.

I second these recommendations--the HPLHS does great work, and both films are top-notch pastiches of their respective film styles (Cthulhu is done as a silent film, Whisperer as a Universal-style monster picture) as well as great adaptations. Much as I love the over-the-top gorefest adaptations of, say, Stuart Gordon (Re-Animator, Dagon, Dreams in the Witch-House), there's something really great about the straight-faced films, too.

And Ia! Ia! to another CoC rpg veteran--nothing like a system that lets you play a paunchy old anthropologist instead of a barbarian!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
So, now that I'm finally done with school and have time to read, I finally decided it was time to introduce myself to H.P. Lovecraft's work. I've never read any before, why I have no clue. You fellows seem to think he's an okay author, so it can't be that bad.

Picked up the complete works at B&N for $8. Perfect timing considering Halloween is just around the corner.

Hope you enjoy, and by all means jump around in the volume if the first story or two you try don't grab you--HPL wrote a lot of great stuff, but he also wrote some drek, frankly, and even his best work can be an acquired taste. Assuming the sometimes-clumsy faux-antiquated language, bland characterizations, casual racism, and utter lack of female characters don't totally turn you off, you should be in for a roaring good time--for all his faults, he had tremendous talent, albeit talent heavily focused in but a few spheres.

In terms of a good starting place, I'd suggest the stories "The Temple," "The Festival", and "The Rats in the Walls" as they're somewhat shorter but still indicative of the man at his best, and "The Call of Cthulhu" if for no other reason than it's become so iconic. If you prefer longer narratives as a rule, his longest, "At the Mountains of Madness," is pretty grand, and so are "The Shadow Over Innsmouth" and "The Colour out of Space." If you prefer the more fantastical to the straight-up horrific, the quickie "The Outsider" is excellent, as are his Dreamland tales, "Unknown Kadath" being a personal favorite.

What say you other chaps--have a personal favorite or two that you'd rec to reader coming to the Gentleman from Providence for the first time?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:41 pm

Read "The Call of Cthulu," "The Colour out of Space," and "The Lurking Fear," last night. Quite top notch writing. I plan on reading a few more tonight, starting with "Dagon." So far I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
friar_jay

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Ocelot55 wrote:
Nice, that may be the same book I was gifted a while back.

GrampaGrossbart wrote:
And Ia! Ia! to another CoC rpg veteran--nothing like a system that lets you play a paunchy old anthropologist instead of a barbarian!
Indeed. I'll be playing some CoC in two weeks actually...ah good times, good times. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrevorLeMayRambles

Registration date : 2013-01-28

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm

This thread got me into his strange and curious tales afro thanks Gents!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bosun1

Registration date : 2012-10-23

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49 am

A resurrected thread...shouldn't have opened that door..
Read Lovecraft in the late 60's.
Much Lovecraft out now on the net. 19 Nocturne Boulevard (19noc.com), cthulu podcast, and Brown Monkey do some great narrations/dramas/take offs of HPL. Brown Monkey is a hoot! If anyone needs some good addresses post and I'll write in the actual URL's..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 pm

The H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society

---Call of Cthulhu---

---The Whisperer in Darkness---
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Foxfire

Registration date : 2011-01-29

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:24 pm

I went to school for English and, as useless as the degree is, have at least read a lot of authors.

I count Lovecraft among my absolute favorites.

I've seen the CoC film, but not The Whisperer. I need to check that one out, asap.

I'd like to note that the HP Lovecraft documentary "Fear of the Unknown" is available, in its entirety, here.

For those of you who played the CoC rpg, I would like to recommend the Fantasy Flight board game, "Arkham Horror". I got it recently and have thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the complicated rule system.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Foxfire wrote:
For those of you who played the CoC rpg, I would like to recommend the Fantasy Flight board game, "Arkham Horror". I got it recently and have thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the complicated rule system.

I haven't played that yet. Though my wife and I have often looked at it and considered purchasing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cdawg1999

Registration date : 2013-10-07

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:11 am

I just picked up Complete Collection of H.P. Lovecraft by Orintage Publishing in the B&N Nook book store. The complete collection cost $2.00. It comes with 150 ebooks and 100+ audiobooks.

I'm new to Lovecraft, but this seems to be the most complete work I have ever seen. The overview claims to include all of his works. It's definitely worth the $2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puppyhead12

Registration date : 2014-02-09

PostSubject: Lovecraft   Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:28 pm

Where do I start if I want to read Lovecrafts material?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Actually all H.P. Lovecraft stuff is available online at the Lovecraft’s Fiction

What is fun about HPL is there is a genre of writers that continue the theme. I picked up The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack as it has some HP's best work and other short stories by others.
Back to top Go down
friar_jay

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:21 am

GeoffC wrote:
The Cthulhu Mythos Megapack

That's awesome. I'll have to snag this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Well, well, well... I see that I have come to the right pipe smoking forum when there is an entire thread dedicated to my favorite author of Strange & Weird Fiction...

I know a tad bit about the man myself... I host the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos Book Club & Reading Group at my public library once a month... Website here...

lovecraftbookclub.wordpress.com

I own a few 1st Edition Arkham House books including the 1st Edition of At the Mountains of Madness. I'm also in regular contact with both S.T. Joshi and W.H. Pugmire who have booth contributed to my book club on a number of different occasions.

My biggest bragging rights so far is that an essay I wrote on the history of the Necronomicon was used by a college literature professor in England. I thought that was pretty cool.

I'm also a huge fan of the Call of Cthulhu RPG and have been running games in that system for about 8 years now. I also enjoy the Trail of Cthulhu game. It uses a really great "rules light" system for investigation.
Back to top Go down
WandererOfWeirdPaths

Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: H.P. Lovecraft   Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:36 pm

Small world! I'm a huge fan of weird fiction, and just became a member yestetday! I run a weird fiction book review blog, The Arkham Digest. Don't know if any of you are familiar, but it's great to see other Lovecraft and weird fiction fans here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

H.P. Lovecraft
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: