HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Authors and Bulldogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 pm

riff raff wrote:
Added two Bulldogs to the pound today.

This Comoys 331C Pebble Grain was delivered over the weekend.  I still have some work to do on them stem (two bite marks) but it went for under $30 and is in overall very nice shape.  It smokes like a dream.  

This Kaywoodie Super Grain 5183B was listed with a very low BIN and offer today.  I put in an even lower offer and it was accepted.  It's not perfect, but sold for a fraction of what pipes of this era and shape go for.  I've been watching for this shape for over a year.  The pipe was made in the 1930's.  More pix to come when it arrives and I do some work on it.

You're on a roll Al!

That Kay looks pretty sweet to me, and looks like you got it for a song!

cheers 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:09 am

Brother Riff, those are two beauties in every sense of the word. I just love old pipes, for their character but also for their smoking ability. Older = better.

Now, I really need another 'dog. Maybe I should just walk past our local B&M today and see if something jumps out. Can't do any harm, I guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:00 am

I really like the Kaywoodie you got from Dave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:41 am

Fr_Tom wrote:
I really like the Kaywoodie you got from Dave.
I didn't really know Dave, but he sent me a nice note. I might have to pick up his book!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 am

riff raff wrote:

I didn't really know Dave, but he sent me a nice note.  I might have to pick up his book!
He seems to be a great guy. We have exchanged a few pm's/emails. He had posted that this pipe was for sale on the Kaywoodie forum, and I recognized it in the picture you posted. He had a Kaywoodie handmade that had burned through, and he fixed it with epoxy and pipe mud. He said he could never sell a pipe repaired like that but offered to give it to me. It is a great smoker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:00 am

riff raff wrote:

This Kaywoodie Super Grain 5183B was listed with a very low BIN and offer today.  I put in an even lower offer and it was accepted.  It's not perfect, but sold for a fraction of what pipes of this era and shape go for.  I've been watching for this shape for over a year.  The pipe was made in the 1930's.  More pix to come when it arrives and I do some work on it.

Now you need an 89B
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:18 am

There is a 5189B on Ebay right now, with a low BIN.....
I am tapped, Ebay get thee behind me!

sisyphus wrote:
riff raff wrote:

Now you need an 89B
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:37 am

I'll bite. Normally I'm not a fan of Italian pipes. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't care for the Italian spin on the English shapes, and I don't like acrylic. There are a couple of exceptions for me, and one of them is the Sav 320. This is just a really good pipe that pays homage to the classic Author while being its own original thing.

The trick with the Sav is you could buy a 320 in any of a dozen or more Savinelli series, and you'd end up with an inexpensive, mass produced pipe that feels and smokes like a competent, but inexpensive and mass produced pipe.

However if you pony up about $30-40 more and find yourself a sandblast Punto Oro, you'll end up with a pipe that is finished as well as pipes costing 3x as much with a quality ebonite stem that also holds up against pipes costing much more. There is a big difference between a Punto Oro and the lines below it, and it's worth the extra expense. I had a 320 in a cheaper series and didn't keep it for the above reasons, but I liked the shape so much that when I found a Punto Oro 320 I grabbed it, and it's a pipe I'll keep for life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:20 pm

sisyphus wrote:
s a big difference between a Punto Oro and the lines below it, and it's worth the extra expense. I had a 320 in a cheaper series and didn't keep it for the above reasons, but I liked the shape so much that when I found a Punto Oro 320 I grabbed it, and it's a pipe I'll keep for life.
I have both a  Punto Oro and  Trevi 320ks.  Both are excellent+  smokers.  I paid US $52.00 for the Trevi about 18 months ago from Smokingpipes.com.  Right from the first smoke I realized that I've bought one wonderful pipe.  It smokes so dry, it seems impossible to be true.  I've smoked it right down to the bottom on numerous occasions after which I could simply knock it in the palm of my hand to get rid of the ash that was left. The bottom of the bowl stays dry as cork.  This is one amazing pipe, maybe a once in a lifetime kind of thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm

No, _all_ Savs are good smokers. The difference between a Punto Oro and the lower series is quality of finish and stem work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 pm

riff raff wrote:
Idlefellow wrote:
If I may...

Authors...

Idlefellow:  What make is that top pipe?  I just sold one of an identical shape, it was stamped Dorset.

Riff,

I keep meaning to answer your question, but then I forget to look at the pipe when I'm at home Embarassed !  To the best of my recollection it's stamped Chadwick or Chaddick or something like that.  I'll clarify if I can remember...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:55 pm

sisyphus wrote:
No, _all_ Savs are good smokers. The difference between a Punto Oro and the lower series is quality of finish and stem work.
My experience is that, out of the 1 dozen Sav's I own, 12 are excellent++ smokers. I have from almost bottom line to Punto's and I love all of them.

But the Trevi 320ks is one OUTSTANDING pipe and I doubt if I will ever find another pipe like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
If I may...

Authors...

Bullmoose
Banker
Banker
Banker

no Authors in this pic

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Could be. Never heard of a Banker. You say potato, I say patato.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sisyphus

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Bankers have an oval shank, and are a shorter, stouter version of the Diplomat. Authors are a variation of bent apple and always have a round stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:16 pm

That bottom one a Royal Danish or a Stanwell? I have one recently inherited which looks the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 pm

sisyphus wrote:
Bankers have an oval shank, and are a shorter, stouter version of the Diplomat. Authors are a variation of bent apple and always have a round stem.
Thank you for the clarification; such a relief not to go around misrepresenting my shapes Wink .  I have always referred to the squat flat sitters as Authors.  Aristokles, it is a Royal Danish which is, of course, a Stanwell 2nd, or 3rd, or something.  Riff, my pipe is stamped Chadwick.

Last edited by Idlefellow on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:38 pm

By whatever other name applies, them pipes are humdingers. I suspect that if there is a pipe in Plato's cave it's a 'dog/author/rhoddy or some variation on the theme. They just look perfectly designed for their purpose without unnecessary embellishment.

I also like Dublins, though that is partially explained by ancestry. The many variations I see on the simple Dublin shape offer many pleasant surprises to members of the Hibernian persuasion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

sisyphus wrote:
This shop has some really nice and unique looking 320's:
http://www.pfeifenstudio-frank.de/Pfeifen_neu/Savinelli/savinelli.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:07 pm

riff raff wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
This shop has some really nice and unique looking 320's:
http://www.pfeifenstudio-frank.de/Pfeifen_neu/Savinelli/savinelli.htm
My bro', check the Stanwell pipes they've got cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

Now, I really need another 'dog.  Maybe I should just walk past our local B&M today and see if something jumps out. Can't do any harm, I guess.
Paid our local tobaconist a visit yesterday.  Found a beautiful Big Ben Super Grain bulldog for R700.00 (US$70). He has ordered a reamer for me and as soon as it arrives, I will go fetch it together with the pipe.

Will post picture
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Big Ben Supergrain 154 bulldog   Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:04 pm

I received the pipe today, a Big Ben Supergrain 154 bulldog. It was pre-coated, which I hate.  So I took some time, paper kitchen towl and surgical spirits to get rid of the unwanted coating.  It was quite easy to clean the inside of the bowl to where I could see clear briar only. I then continued  cleaning the bowl, using brandy and some more kitchen towl.

The draw on this pipe is nice, soft and open and even better than on my Savinellis. I've filled the bowl halfway with Petersen Irish Whiskey and at this moment, I'm puffing away at it.  I can taste the briar and that's how I prefer it. No  odour or foul taste is present.  The pipe is quite light and it sits nicely between my teeth.

With this pipe in my collection, my 1 dozen bulldogs is full.

I'm a happy chappie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

That is a great shape SpeedyPete, Supergrain indeed!

My Super Grain also showed up today and I'm thrilled. It is in magnificent shape, for a 70 year old pipe. I have it with me this weekend for a trip to Annapolis. I'll smoke it tomorrow at the Annapolis Smoke Shop, a wonderful shop of 50 years or so.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Thank you for the clarification; such a relief not to go around misrepresenting my shapes Wink .  I have always referred to the squat flat sitters as Authors.  Aristokles, it is a Royal Danish which is, of course, a Stanwell 2nd, or 3rd, or something.  Riff, my pipe is stamped Chadwick.
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression based on Ebay listings in the past that the Royal Danish were fairly decent. Mine has a split shank on the underside (which is understandable given the thing flat shank) and, as one of my late father's favorite pipes I am torn as to whether to try and have it repaired. Nice smoker though, and so I might take a gamble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

PostSubject: Re: Authors and Bulldogs   Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:10 am

riff raff wrote:
.........a wonderful shop of 50 years or so.

Thank you , my bro' Very Happy 

I adore old pipes, I often wonder what they would be able to tell us if they could talk!!!!

So nice to visit a B&M with real pipers in charge.  Our local guys ask me the questions!  But they treat me nice because I don't mind teaching them ( Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Authors and Bulldogs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3