HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A Pet Peeve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Cataphilus wrote:
I do it not to draw attention like said earlier but so I can read it easier. For some reason the fonts in the posting window (for a lack of a better word) are very small and thin to me and it makes it very hard to read what I'm typing. They have a tendency to blur together.

I have a question, though: how do you deal with the initial post if you have trouble reading the original text you write? Unlike "document programs," the forum response text windows all use the same font, with modifiers added later. So no matter what, we always see the same "font" until the coding changes the style on the submitted post.

That, and, it must make it terribly difficult to read other people's posts, like mine, who use the standard posting font style as a default. It seems to me like you do okay reading everyone's drivel, but you already know what you wrote--so you want to make your own contribution easier for you to read? scratch

I have awful vision. I mean, AWFUL. Like, practically have to wear glasses AND contacts at the same time awful. Myopia, astigmatisms, etc., and text, especially in books (serifs are a bitch), sometimes looks like gray bars and nothing more. Lowercase "a" and "e" "o" and "s" all blend together, "m," "n" r" can all look the same. So I do get it.

I just don't see how bold makes a difference, nor do I have a particular problem with it. I hate ALL CAPS much, much more. I find most people that type in ALL CAPS have a tendency to use NO PUNCTUATION either. Not sure the connection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Yes, It's harder then H*LL from time to time to read posts but, the fonts are at least larger in the posts then they are in the window that you type them in.

And yes the same letters you refer to give me that problem also reading what I've typed and constantly have to go back and edit before posting and sometimes after.

It also may have something to do with me being colorblind. Thus the background interferes the the type.
I know some colored lettering on top the right colored background makes it invisible to me. If you can imagine that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Hey, don't let these knuckleheads ruin your routine because it irritates them, post how you want to post. Do your thing. Laughing

I myself will question it, perhaps learn something about it, but hell, do what's easiest for you. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Cataphilus wrote:
What is sans bolding?

"Sans" is just a fancy way of saying "without."

The color blind issue makes a lot of sense too. How deep the rabbit hole goes...

But sheesh guys! I thought my vision was bad! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:57 pm

My vision was a pretty good 20/13 before I started reading this thread, but now I'm cross-eyed, have a headache, and need a nap... No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JT

Registration date : 2008-06-15

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:31 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
A post that simply states "^ +1."

As whatever statement that you are agreeing with has already been posted, then why are you posting? You tell us nothing more than your agreement; we don't need your agreement, we need you to say something or nothing at all.

I anticipate that someone will reply to this post with "^ +1". . .damn you to hell, you rascal!

Well, you took all the fun out of my initial thought of responding with a "+1" so I'll just say "dittos." pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:25 pm

+2
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:43 am

My posting of my pet peeve led to useful discussion but also the outcry of members reacting to public censure. The power of public censure can never be gauged, and the question becomes the value of such expression; in this case the value was small.

Although I hold to my position, the outcome cries for an apology; you have it. I apologize to the Board and to anyone who was affected, both those whose my expression named and to the innocent, in this case a member whose sight is poor, who was named by another member expressing his pet peeve.

My pet peeve spawned four pages of replies; four pages! If my objection had been large, it might have called for public expression, but it was indeed small.

Definitely not worth it; again, my apology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:58 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
My posting of my pet peeve led to useful discussion but also the outcry of members reacting to public censure. The power of public censure can never be gauged, and the question becomes the value of such expression; in this case the value was small.

Although I hold to my position, the outcome cries for an apology; you have it. I apologize to the Board and to anyone who was affected, both those whose my expression named and to the innocent, in this case a member whose sight is poor, who was named by another member expressing his pet peeve.

My pet peeve spawned four pages of replies; four pages! If my objection had been large, it might have called for public expression, but it was indeed small.

Definitely not worth it; again, my apology.

Mike - (I actually thought your name was Alfredo Buscatti until I saw someone refer to you as Mike. Being of Italian heritage, A-B sounded to me like a main dish in an Italian cuisine. I was about to google “Italian recipes” to find out what I missed!)

Speaking for myself, no apology is necessary. And as I said, there are no hard feelings. We’re adults; we exchange opinions in a civil manner. Nuff said.

Hope the rest of your weekend is great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:59 am

I ask for no apology and see no reason for one. I reckon everyone has a pet peeve and it can be a learning experience for both parties finding out why one persons actions irritate another.

I personally have a list of peeves but none of them concern internet postings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07 am

You were right! Alfredo Buscatti is the name of a generations-old hallowed Sicilian dish only prepared in the mountains, in a valley surrounded by plateau olive trees, which in fact give it its Etnan magma character. It is cooked in an at least three mile deep cave and needs the baaaaa-ing of 50 mountain goats as an accompaniment.

Last edited by alfredo_buscatti on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
You were right! Alfredo Buscatti is the name of a generations-old hallowed Sicilian dish only prepared in the mountains, in a valley surrounded by plateau olive trees, which in fact give it its Etnan magma character. It is cooked at least three miles deep in caves and needs the baaaaa-ing of 50 goats as an accompaniment.

Wow! I somehow don't think I'll find that recipe on a google search!

Grazie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:35 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
You were right! Alfredo Buscatti is the name of a generations-old hallowed Sicilian dish only prepared in the mountains, in a valley surrounded by plateau olive trees, which in fact give it its Etnan magma character. It is cooked in an at least three mile deep cave and needs the baaaaa-ing of 50 mountain goats as an accompaniment.

Laughing

Just imagining biscotti in alfredo.... yeeek. pale Laughing

Actually, this whole conversation has been entertaining. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: A Pet Peeve   Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:46 pm

What Airborne, Cartaphilus, and Kyle said. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com

A Pet Peeve