HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Go with your gut instincts, sir, I believe if tuned properly and the message is loud and clear, listen to it. My father taught me this.

I'm sorry to hear you may have to make this decision.

Hey, glass-half-full, you can always collect pipes as art--unless that'd be too tempting/upsetting.

I have lung problems, and I sometimes wonder about pipe smoking myself. Provided I'm outside and don't do it more than a few times a week, it seems to be alright. I am quite healthy, exercise and eat properly (most of the time!) anyway. I drink seldom. I'm hoping moderation might carry me to the finish line at a ripe, old age.

Really, though, it'd suck to not have you around, but that's my selfishness talking. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Why don't you just do it on special occasions or write down on a calendar and do it once a month?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Go with your gut instincts

^ +1

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:38 am

Is occasional pipe smoking (not inhaling) bad for your heart?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 am

Hermit wrote:
Is occasional pipe smoking (not inhaling) bad for your heart?
Guess it depends on the N-content Very Happy
Seriously, I agree with Kyle, cut back to at most once a week for a treat and see how it goes. Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:11 am

I'd probably go with Kyle's advice.

However, my Grandfather had triple-bypass heart surgery back in '83. His doctors only gave him 6-months to a year if he didn't change his diet and quit going to the Elk's Lodge every day.

Well, the diet lasted about a month and his daily visits to the Elk's Lodge resumed as soon as he was physically able to due to recover.

The 6-months to a year turned into 13 years. Plus, it wasn't his heart that got him in the end.

Soooooooooooo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cigarsarge

Registration date : 2010-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:39 am

Sorry to hear that my friend...As much as I love the pipe living comes first. I don't see how maybe a once a week smoke would hurt though. Your job prolly contributed a bit to your condition...Stress over a period of time adds up. I know it is effecting me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:41 am

Well, it's too late for me to "live hard, die young, and leave a good looking corpse," so I'm just going to keep living hard.

I figure if I can't have a little salt, fat, and tobacco, screw it! santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:29 am

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Your body will guide you better than anything else. I hope that your health improves. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:46 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Airborne

Registration date : 2011-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:43 am

Sorry to hear about your health concerns. Personally, I'd get a second opinion before changing my lifestyle.

The Greeks had a good view of life: all things in moderation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 pm

everyone is different, and some things affect some people more than others. the most important thing is that you get yourself healthy. Not only do you need to get the necessary medical procedures done to physically repair your issues, you need to begin living a smarter lifestyle to get your "Self" healthy. People love to think of things in black and white terms - if I get this operation I'll be OK, if I take this pill I'll be OK, if I smoke a pipe I'll die. What nonsense! You could get your heart repaired by the finest surgeon in the world but if you still treat your body like a couch mounted cookie and beer receptacle, you are not going to live long. On the flip side, if you get the operation, change your diet, exercise regularly and do the questionable things in moderation, you should be able to enjoy a good pipeful every now and then without any worries.

whenever I find myself smoking a lot just out of habit I stop for a few days. Whenever I find myself not exercising for whatever reason for a few days I rearrange my life around my workout schedule for a bit. Purposely tilt your life towards the positive and damn the stupid studies.

I hope you recover quickly and enjoy a long life, whatever path you choose Cool

puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:58 pm

Ripe old age?

Piss on that. No bladder control, needing someone to clean you and roll you over every 4-6 hrs, eating semi solid food spoon fed to you. Laying in a bed unable to do much besides piss and moan about ungrateful kids.

Hold it. That really doesn't sound that bad!! I can't wait to get olden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:53 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
everyone is different, and some things affect some people more than others. the most important thing is that you get yourself healthy. Not only do you need to get the necessary medical procedures done to physically repair your issues, you need to begin living a smarter lifestyle to get your "Self" healthy. People love to think of things in black and white terms - if I get this operation I'll be OK, if I take this pill I'll be OK, if I smoke a pipe I'll die. What nonsense! You could get your heart repaired by the finest surgeon in the world but if you still treat your body like a couch mounted cookie and beer receptacle, you are not going to live long. On the flip side, if you get the operation, change your diet, exercise regularly and do the questionable things in moderation, you should be able to enjoy a good pipeful every now and then without any worries.

whenever I find myself smoking a lot just out of habit I stop for a few days. Whenever I find myself not exercising for whatever reason for a few days I rearrange my life around my workout schedule for a bit. Purposely tilt your life towards the positive and damn the stupid studies.

I hope you recover quickly and enjoy a long life, whatever path you choose Cool

So I realize that this isn't exactly the most profound response here, but... this ^.

Also, I'd like to echo the sentiment started by Kyle in saying that I'd personally miss seeing you around the board. Even though we haven't had a lot of exchanges, it's always a delight to see "Simple Man" in the top left of any post because I know that the content will be intelligent and well worded.

All the best to you in whatever choice you make. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:16 pm

Do what you need to do, get better, and let us know how it's going!

My dad used to always sing this to me:
"Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling..."

It can mean different things, but if all goes well, who knows...it doesn't mean it can't have a happy ending.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

...a reasonable ripe old age, PB. Emphasis on "reasonable." Meaning, not crapping in plastic bags taped to my side and sans the bedsores because I can't get up kind of reasonable. No, at that point, it's "Old Yeller" time for Kyle Weiss. Laughing

What I don't want is a steep, steady decrescendo into bad health. A plateau and sudden drop off sounds much nicer.

Will it happen? Who knows. Too many variables. I am polishing up my cantankerous pissing and moaning already, though, that I'd like to be sharp and automatic in the decades to come. Laughing

Furthermore, we are all likely "inhaling" our smoke, whether we want to admit it or not. If we smoke inside, we're second-hand smoking ourselves. If we're outside, even the wind will swirl and sustain a nice cloud in our face (or even wisps from a pipe) for a few seconds. Smoke particles are indeed finding their way in our lungs. I try really hard to avoid this, and my lungs let me know how well I'm doing. Once in a while, I'll blow out 95% of the smoke in my mouth/nose, but that 5% gets sucked into my lungs: just enough to make me cough (for some reason, aromatics are much easier to do this with, probably due to the innocent flavoring).

This is another reason why I prefer my pipe smoking among my own company exclusively, being around a herd of smokers seems awesome in concept, I just can't handle it. My Tinder Box pipe parties are evidence of that, where they all get joy in hotboxing the place. I can't stay long.

I manage my pipe smoking, and I may be on this path one day, too. It will be upsetting, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:45 pm

Life is about decisions, friends are about supporting you in them. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:11 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Life is about decisions, friends are about supporting you in them. Cool

I'd like to quote Kyle and take it a step further.

Simple Man - Life is about decisions, friends are about supporting you in them. We Brothers will be here to support you no matter what your decision. If you do choose to quit smoking, so be it. We'll still be here for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milan

Registration date : 2011-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Your health is too important. Walk away if you need to walk away. I have had sinus problems for nearly a month now that I believed originally to be a bad tooth. I also suffered from severe hypertension and heart palpitations a few months back. Scary stuff for sure. You're heart is more important than smoking pipes. I have really cut back on smoking the past three or four months and haven't smoked a bowl in almost two weeks. I will never give it up completely because it is a hobby that I really enjoy and can do on occasion, whether I smoke once a year... a month... a week... a day.

I hope you're able to continue smoking from time to time while maintaining good health. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Milan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guy

Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:09 pm

Frankly, given what you stated, I would follow your MD's advice to the letter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:55 am

We would all be foolish not to listen to the advice of a doctor. I'd start with a commitment to get fit and start exercising. That doesn't cost anything. Rest the pipes while you do that. I've had asthma problems in the past (allergy induced) and not being able to get your breath is pretty frightening. Give it three months and see what kind of changes you can produce. Once you are back in better physical shape, perhaps an occasional pipe smoke won't have the same effect on your lungs (betting it won't). That would be a win on all accounts. At 50, you have plenty of time to change things. Good luck my friend, keep us posted on your progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:39 pm

...just tell your doctor it's homeopathic...little bits of exposure to something to make you more resistant to it in the long run... Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PipeLeisure

Registration date : 2011-08-28

PostSubject: Re: Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...   Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Sorry to hear about this. Maybe you can just cut back to only 2-3 pipes a week rather then every day. If you don't inhale like most of us I don't see it being a problem....everything in moderation is what I always say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PipeLeisure?feature=mhee

Not too sure about my pipe smoking future...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next