HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I have finally ventured beyond aromatics. I was in El Fumador (Sewickley, PA) two days ago and the owner highly suggested McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut.

It is a broken flake, Virginia, Perique and Oriental blend. this was my first foray into tobacco that wasn't already shredded (aka prepared). I had a hard time lighting the bowl as I way over packed the pipe. After dumping out some of the tobacco, I finally got a nice consistent burn. At first light, the taste was sweet, but eventually progressed to a cool and spicy flavor. I liked the aroma and it passed the "wife" test as she walked through the garage. Overall, I really enjoyed this tobacco and I look forward to my next bowl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:06 pm

I recently tried some of the original Old London Pebblecut from 1998. Great stuff. I was convinced it was a straight Vaper until I learned there were also orientals in there. I really didn't notice it, and I suspect only the power of suggestion made me finally percieve it once I read it on TR. Very subdued. I've heard that the McC Revival Pebblecut is good as well. I'd like to give that a try too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Got some about a year ago that I need to get to. The description sounds right in my wheelhouse.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:23 pm

El Fumador is a pretty great shop. Their cigar selection was awesome last I went and they had a really solid selection of pipe tobacco. Their "lounge" left a little to be desired, though. Razz

When you get a chance, swing up to Blawnox, PA and go to Allegheny Smokeworks. They have an AMAZING selection of pipe tobacco, pipes, and cigars and everyone there are very helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. Their lounge is fantastic as well! If you do go, try to get Mike talking. He loves pipes and tobacco and is always interested in answering questions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Allegheny Smokeworks is also where the Pittsburgh Pipe Club meets on every second Saturday of every month from opening to about 2 or 3pm. If you happen to meet up with the club, tell them that David Huber sent you and that he sends his warm regards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:55 pm

McClelland makes some of the NICEST English/Scottish/balkan style blends and most are available in the traditional ribbon cut form which means less "fiddling" with the 'baccy prior to loading your pipe and lighting up! If you like this one, give their Oriental #14 a try!! Or the Scottish Woods from the CPCC collection for a bit stronger blend !! They are some EXCELLENT tobaccos!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:32 am

UberHuberMan wrote:
Allegheny Smokeworks is also where the Pittsburgh Pipe Club meets on every second Saturday of every month from opening to about 2 or 3pm. If you happen to meet up with the club, tell them that David Huber sent you and that he sends his warm regards.

I've been meaning to make it to Blawnox and visit that shop. It's a little out of my way, but I think a trip over lunch next week is in the making. I'll let them know you say hi Dave. I'm hoping to make a quick trip to Boswells this weekend. Heading up to State College to visit my daughter and I'm trying to convince the wife that and 1 1/2 hr side trip is well worth it! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 am

monbla256 wrote:
McClelland makes some of the NICEST English/Scottish/balkan style blends and most are available in the traditional ribbon cut form which means less "fiddling" with the 'baccy prior to loading your pipe and lighting up! If you like this one, give their Oriental #14 a try!! Or the Scottish Woods from the CPCC collection for a bit stronger blend !! They are some EXCELLENT tobaccos!!

Thank you for the suggestion. I read your review on Oriental #14 and it definitely caught my attention. I do have a question regarding the numbered Virginias (ie: Virginia #25). Am I correct in understanding the numbers correlate to the sweetness, boldness, flavor etc? If so, how does the increase/decrease in numbers relate? For example, as the numbers increase, is the tobacco sweeter, bolder, etc? I'm also guessing that #25 would be your highest recommendation. Thanks for any advice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:59 am

Mozjo33 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I read your review on Oriental #14 and it definitely caught my attention. I do have a question regarding the numbered Virginias (ie: Virginia #25). Am I correct in understanding the numbers correlate to the sweetness, boldness, flavor etc? If so, how does the increase/decrease in numbers relate? For example, as the numbers increase, is the tobacco sweeter, bolder, etc? I'm also guessing that #25 would be your highest recommendation. Thanks for any advice.

I was wondering the same thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 am

Mozjo33 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

My experience with McClelland's is that if you like Virginia's, you will like their blends as their ability to use them in a blend is supreme! As far as the numbering of either the Matured Virginias indicating strength levels you'd have to ask the folks at McC's about that. The two lower #s are flake tobaccos which I'm not a fan of as I don't like to have to "fiddle" with my 'bac before I can smoke it! My prefernce is to take it from the tin or pouch, load my pipe , light it and head on down the road! I know I'm "missing out" on being one with my tobacco, I'm just an old smoker and that's why I like to KISS it when it comes to pipes. Bieng a long-time "English" smoker I was looking for something a bit more aromatic and differntly flavored without going to the usual cased Burly based "Aromatics" and the straight Virginias have met this need for me and #25 is the one of this series that "does it" for me Razz I'm looking forward to getting a new (for me) McC Virginia tonight when the UPS man comes, the Rich Virginia Ribbon, a blend of orange and red Virginia leaf which should be great Razz BTW, smoking straight Virginia's has tought me much about HOW to smoke and increased my pleasure from ALL the blends I'm currently smoking! Try some I think you will like it just remember, Virginias are subtle tobaccos and as such might not have as much "punch" as some here determine is the sign of a good smoke Razz And if I'm looking for that "nicotine hit", I light up a Pall Mall unfiltered or Dunhill Red and suck in deep Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:36 am

monbla256 wrote:
Mozjo33 wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

My experience with McClelland's is that if you like Virginia's, you will like their blends as their ability to use them in a blend is supreme! As far as the numbering of either the Matured Virginias indicating strength levels you'd have to ask the folks at McC's about that. The two lower #s are flake tobaccos which I'm not a fan of as I don't like to have to "fiddle" with my 'bac before I can smoke it! My prefernce is to take it from the tin or pouch, load my pipe , light it and head on down the road! I know I'm "missing out" on being one with my tobacco, I'm just an old smoker and that's why I like to KISS it when it comes to pipes. Bieng a long-time "English" smoker I was looking for something a bit more aromatic and differntly flavored without going to the usual cased Burly based "Aromatics" and the straight Virginias have met this need for me and #25 is the one of this series that "does it" for me Razz I'm looking forward to getting a new (for me) McC Virginia tonight when the UPS man comes, the Rich Virginia Ribbon, a blend of orange and red Virginia leaf which should be great Razz BTW, smoking straight Virginia's has tought me much about HOW to smoke and increased my pleasure from ALL the blends I'm currently smoking! Try some I think you will like it just remember, Virginias are subtle tobaccos and as such might not have as much "punch" as some here determine is the sign of a good smoke Razz And if I'm looking for that "nicotine hit", I light up a Pall Mall unfiltered or Dunhill Red and suck in deep Razz

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll try #25 and try to figure out which direction to go. I'm always up for anything once!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Yup. Gonna get me some of this! Orientals without Latakia? Who would have thought?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:06 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Yup. Gonna get me some of this! Orientals without Latakia? Who would have thought?

Ozzy I don't think you'll be sorry. Order several tins because this is one blend that really becomes a star with age. Late last year I ordered several tins from Mars Cigars and all of them were stamped either 2009 or 2010. It turned out that I got all that he had in stock from that vintage. I've smoked one from each year and they are great. One of the best McClelland blends I've ever had. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Still have yet to unearth this one from my modest cellar. In fact I'm no longer confident I actually have it. Could be a matter of a "pipe dream"!
silent

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:56 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Still have yet to unearth this one from my modest cellar. In fact I'm no longer confident I actually have it. Could be a matter of a "pipe dream"!
silent

Cheers,

RR

Rande if you had it and smoked it I'm confident that you would remember because you would have considered it an exceptional unforgettable blend. Yes I do believe that it is that good. Tudor Castle is my favorite blend regardless of genre however, I will only smoke it on very special occasions or on a holiday. Pebblecut has a taste very similar to that of Tudor Castle and I use it as a substitute for Tudor Castle on a daily basis. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Great, just great...........

Now I have to look up Tudor Castle...... Might as well grab a tin of that at the same time....

Sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:07 pm

AJ is kidding, Tudor Castle is fantastic. One of my favorite McClelland blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:39 pm

I'll have to try the Tudor Castle next month. I just stuck with the pound of SG St. James Flake and two tins of Pebblecut......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:42 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I'll have to try the Tudor Castle next month. I just stuck with the pound of SG St. James Flake and two tins of Pebblecut......

Good show Ozzy. I can't wait to read your comments on the Pebblecut. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Big grab Ozzie. I'm partial to SJF myself, but it will come very, very wet and thus require much drying. At least that's my experience.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
AJ

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Brewdude wrote:

Big grab Ozzie. I'm partial to SJF myself, but it will come very, very wet and thus require much drying. At least that's my experience.

Cheers,

RR

A couple of months ago I opened a tin that was 6 YO and it was still so wet I had to dry the flakes almost 45 minutes before they were dry enough for me. I was kind of surprised they were still so wet. Has anyone else encountered this? Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Wait, what?

Which is going to be wet? SJF or Pebblecut"?

Both maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Wait, what?

Both maybe?

SJF for sure.

Can't comment on the Pebble.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:37 pm

Pebblecut is typical of McClelland moisture level. Similar moisture level to Blackwoods Flake, which I know you're familiar with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AJ

PostSubject: Re: McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut   Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Wait, what?

Both maybe?

Sorry guys. Suffering in my dotage sometimes I do and write things that are perfectly clear to me but are a puzzle to others. The tobacco that was still wet after 6 years was SJF. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

McClelland - Ashton Revival: Pebblecut
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next