HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Parker pipes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JASmith

Registration date : 2012-01-26

PostSubject: Parker pipes?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Hello Folks,
I was wandering around cupojoe's website today, looking for good deals on new pipes, and came across Parker pipes...Prices looked good, so I did some research...
I have done a search on here with minimal results, but I would like to hear from anyone that owns/have owned a Parker on their experiences...
Take Care,
Jason
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:10 pm

I don't think you can go wrong for $52. They look pretty handsome to me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 pm

JASmith wrote:
Hello Folks,
I was wandering around cupojoe's website today, looking for good deals on new pipes, and came across Parker pipes...Prices looked good, so I did some research...
I have done a search on here with minimal results, but I would like to hear from anyone that owns/have owned a Parker on their experiences...
Take Care,
Jason

Depending on it's age, most Parkers are VERY good pipes. At one time, they and Hardcastle were made in the same factory as Dunhill and sometimes are reffered to as Dunhill "seconds', though Dunhill states they NEVER made any seconds Razz They were one of many old line pipe co's in England that produced excellent pipes. Later in the 70's I believe, they were produced as Parker-Hardcastle . I have 3 Hardcastles made in the mid 70s which are great smokers. At that price, it looks like it would be a good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Buy an older one.

Last edited by Zeno Marx on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:29 pm

Iv'e definitely heard the old Parkers are real gems. These, sold by Cup-O-Joes, are new Parkers. I cant recall anyone commenting about these new Parkers.
monbla256 wrote:
JASmith wrote:
Hello Folks,
Take Care,
Jason

Depending on it's age, most Parkers are VERY good pipes. At one time, they and Hardcastle were made in the same factory as Dunhill and sometimes are reffered to as Dunhill "seconds', though Dunhill states they NEVER made any seconds Razz They were one of many old line pipe co's in England that produced excellent pipes. Later in the 70's I believe, they were produced as Parker-Hardcastle . I have 3 Hardcastles made in the mid 70s which are great smokers. At that price, it looks like it would be a good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 am

Have heard the old ones are very good, the new ones not so much. I don't own any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JVickers43

Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 am

I just got this one not to long ago. I like it a lot. Smokes very well. The only thing about it was that it came with a small metal filter in the stem which was proptly removed. Mine also does not have the silver band around the stem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clifford

Registration date : 2012-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:34 pm

JVickers43 wrote:

I just got this one not to long ago. I like it a lot. Smokes very well. The only thing about it was that it came with a small metal filter in the stem which was proptly removed. Mine also does not have the silver band around the stem.

I just picked up an old Parker and was surprised to find a metal filter that came inside. Glad to know I can just put it aside.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty

Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:31 pm

monbla256 wrote:

Zeno Marx - are you part of the Karl line or Groucho line? wrote:
Buy an older one...back when they were part of the Dunhill factory system

Where do you guys think they're being made? Really, you can tell me. I can take it. No

The factory that Dunhill Manufacturing uses today was the Parker-Hardcastle factory because it was the most modern. I think it was built in 1960 or so. That is the St. Andrews Road factory. So as the market for pipes shrunk they consolidated pipe manufacturing back into one factory. The leather goods are there too. All pipe lines were made there for a long time and not in the distant past, recently. But you notice the past tense, right?

So what constitutes a 'Dunhill factory system' and where do you think the Parkers are made today? Extra points for providing a correct street address in addition to country & city! Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Please allow me to edit my comment. I don't want to further misinformation.

Buy an older one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:

Buy an older one.

What misinformation?

How old does it have to be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Rusty wrote:   Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Rusty wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:

Buy an older one.

What misinformation?

At least as old as you Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rusty

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:16 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:

Buy an older one.

What misinformation?

At least as old as you Razz

Ok so explain why Parkers made in the 50's or earlier were better than today's.
That means you understand both to a sufficient extent to explain.

In the vintage pipes thread you said something different...
monbla256 wrote:
As far as would an older, pre-owned "estate" pipe be "better" than one made today really has soooo many variables that a definative answer is almost impossible to give.

Sooo... you gave a definitive answer for Parkers and I'm just asking for the reasons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I never stated that Parkers made in the '50s or earlier were better. I only have some Hardcastles bought new around 1973/74 and they are GREAT pipes, no fills, well cut ebonite bits and nice qtr grain on 'em. I knew as many of us were told at that time that Parker and Hardcastle were merged and we began seeing Parker-Hardcastle pipes for sale. I guess since they were made in the same factory as Dunhills,( I don't know the EXACT address but I'm sure you do ) most folks presumed and it was stated that they were Dunhill seconds by some, and others said that Dunhill did not make or sell seconds. Since I was not privy to all the inside info ( as you obviously are) about the pipe buidness i just took it all with a grain of salt and bought my 'bac and put it in my pipes and smoked 'em. Please enlighten us as to THE truth about all this Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle inticacies Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:36 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I never stated that Parkers made in the '50s or earlier were better. I only have some Hardcastles bought new around 1973/74 and they are GREAT pipes, no fills, well cut ebonite bits and nice qtr grain on 'em. I knew as many of us were told at that time that Parker and Hardcastle were merged and we began seeing Parker-Hardcastle pipes for sale. I guess since they were made in the same factory as Dunhills,( I don't know the EXACT address but I'm sure you do ) most folks presumed and it was stated that they were Dunhill seconds by some, and others said that Dunhill did not make or sell seconds. Since I was not privy to all the inside info ( as you obviously are) about the pipe buidness i just took it all with a grain of salt and bought my 'bac and put it in my pipes and smoked 'em. Please enlighten us as to THE truth about all this Dunhill/Parker/Hardcastle inticacies Razz

Moonbla, you are such a trouble maker, lol. I think the real question at hand is, if we stuck you, Rusty, and Kyle in a room and locked the door, what would we find the next morning when we unlocked and opened the door. affraid

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:37 pm

ME cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 pm

monbla256 wrote:
ME cheers

So basically we open the door and you alone emerge smoking some Royal Blend in a Hardcastle Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:49 pm

YEP ! In fact I'm doing that right now in my Hardcastle Deluxe Pot Razz It's my third bowl of this for the day!

Last edited by monbla256 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:54 pm

monbla256 wrote:
YEP ! In fact I'm doing that right now in my Hardcastle Pot Razz It's my third bowl of this for the day!

Ahh, a Brother after my own heart. Nothing better in my mind than Royal Blend in one of my pot shapes (2 Pre-Trans Barling pots and 1 Wilke Pot). I have been meaning to ask you by the way. Have you ever tried Pipeworks&Wilke #400. Not trying to make you break out your wallet, but #400 is like Royal Blend on steroids!!!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:59 pm

I have not tried any of thier 'bac. I've looked on thier site and they look to have some interesting blends for sure Razz Have to say that the days of 'bac "... on steroids" is not where I'm at any more. I like a little more in the nuanced and smooth side smoking wise. Am really getting to appreciate straight Virginia's more and more Razz BTW, the Pot shape is a nice one for Va's I'm finding out as well. It's my second most fave shape i own, next to my Bulldogs .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I have not tried any of thier 'bac. I've looked on thier site and they look to have some interesting blends for sure Razz Have to say that the days of 'bac "... on steroids" is not where I'm at any more. I like a little more in the nuanced and smooth side smoking wise. Am really getting to appreciate straight Virginia's more and more Razz BTW, the Pot shape is a nice one for Va's I'm finding out as well. It's my second most fave shape i own, next to my Bulldogs .

Well, perhaps I overstated myself when I said that #400 is Royal Blend on steroids. It has the Latakia, Va's, and Yenidje that Royal Blend has, plus some Perique and Kentucky. I would also said it reminds me of what a bowl would taste like with 1/2 Royal Blend and 1/2 Nightcap mixed together. I do know that Carole over at Wilke is recovering from a surgery and is only working part-time, so I don't want to bother her right now, but I plan on picking up a half pound in the near future as it has been a couple years since I have had #400. I will send you a few bowls to try when I get it.

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Oh I also forgot to mention that Wilke makes another great blend called #524 that is basically #400 without the Kentucky and Perique. It is almost a dead ringer for Royal Blend, so much so that the next time I have a jar of 524 and Royal opened at the same time, I need to smoke back to back bowls to compare and contrast, and decide which I actually prefer. Another great Wilke is #10, which is a really light Balkan mixture with four different Orientals. To me it is the perfect morning smoke and ages better than any Balkan/English mixture that I have ever cellared. Give them a try sometime. Carole offers a really nice sample package that enables you to try a bunch of their stuff without breaking the bank. Other good Wilke blends are Syrian High-Hat (really sweet English) and Wilke Bestmake (English with a little Burley---kind of reminds me of Spillman Mixture).

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: scottbtdmb wrote:   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:14 pm

scottbtdmb wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Well, perhaps I overstated myself when I said that #400 is Royal Blend on steroids. It has the Latakia, Va's, and Yenidje that Royal Blend has, plus some Perique and Kentucky. I would also said it reminds me of what a bowl would taste like with 1/2 Royal Blend and 1/2 Nightcap mixed together. I do know that Carole over at Wilke is recovering from a surgery and is only working part-time, so I don't want to bother her right now, but I plan on picking up a half pound in the near future as it has been a couple years since I have had #400. I will send you a few bowls to try when I get it.

-Scott

That's awfully nice of you! I used to smoke Sobranie 759 back in the 70's and Royal Blend as I've smoked it these days is the closest I have found to tasting and smoking as it did back then. It was the fuller of the two Sobranie's made back then as I recall. Niether it nor Royal Blend have any Perique in them from what I can taste which is fine with me as i like the spice of the yenidje and other Orientals better Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: scottbtdmb wrote:   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:17 pm

scottbtdmb wrote:
Oh I also forgot to mention that Wilke makes another great blend called #524 that is basically #400 without the Kentucky and Perique. It is almost a dead ringer for Royal Blend, so much so that the next time I have a jar of 524 and Royal opened at the same time, I need to smoke back to back bowls to compare and contrast, and decide which I actually prefer. Another great Wilke is #10, which is a really light Balkan mixture with four different Orientals. To me it is the perfect morning smoke and ages better than any Balkan/English mixture that I have ever cellared. Give them a try sometime. Carole offers a really nice sample package that enables you to try a bunch of their stuff without breaking the bank. Other good Wilke blends are Syrian High-Hat (really sweet English) and Wilke Bestmake (English with a little Burley---kind of reminds me of Spillman Mixture).

-Scott

My favorite Balkan made today is McClellands oriental #14 which is my "other" daily smoke. If you like Orientals, give it a try, you might like it Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

PostSubject: Re: Parker pipes?   Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 pm

monbla256 wrote:
scottbtdmb wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

-Scott

That's awfully nice of you! I used to smoke Sobranie 759 back in the 70's and Royal Blend as I've smoked it these days is the closest I have found to tasting and smoking as it did back then. It was the fuller of the two Sobranie's made back then as I recall. Niether it nor Royal Blend have any Perique in them from what I can taste which is fine with me as i like the spice of the yenidje and other Orientals better Razz

No problem at all, I love to share tobaccos with Brothers....it gives us something to talk about Very Happy I got to smoke 759 on one occasion and I agree with you that the Royal Blend is closer than most others. McClleland Blue Mountain, Hearth&Home Blackhouse, and Compton's Macedonian are all wonderful mixtures in their own right, but I feel that Royal Blend is a much better replica. The funny thing is that Royal Blend has probably been around longer than 759 Razz Anyways, I'll PM you whenever I get the #400 and I will definitely send you some, as well as some #10 (I have pounds of it).

-Scott

P.S. Just noticed your post about the Oriental #14. I have heard you mention it several times and am definitely interested in trying it. Perhaps we can trade a few bowls when the time comes Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Parker pipes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next