HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 pm

The new show, "Lilyhammer" with Steven Van Zandt (Sil in The Sopranos) sure looks good, available now only on streaming. A gangster turns informant/witness protection goes into witness relocation in Lilyhammer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfRgVbp9gSY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:00 pm

"The girl with dragon tattoo", if you don't mind reading Swedish subtitles. Then "the girl who played with fire", and lastly "the girl who kicked the hornets nest". A fine trilogy all the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:06 pm

We watch a lot of British mystery and police procedural series on Netflix--Midsomer Murders, Kingdom (with Stephen Fry), Inspector Morse... The pacing is very different from their American equivalent, but with that caveat, if you like that sort of show, you might dig these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lowflyingpenguin

Location : The Wilds of Canada (from Iroquois for 'the village')
Registration date : 2009-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:32 pm

Luther from the BBC is one of the best copper shows on Netflix.

Highly recommend it.

RB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm

DO NOT miss the Buck documentary on Showtime and streaming on Netflix. Beautiful. Ugly. Profound. Interesting. One of those things you watch and learn about yourself and each other. Horses are great creatures to watch, too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1753549/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Great! Y'all gave me some good recommendations. I'll be up most of the night more than likely, so I'll check some of them out. Right now I'm watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest... I've never seen it before. Pretty interesting movie.
Thats a good one Chief! <g>
"The Debt" with Helen Miren was excellent, watched recently.
We're watching "Contagion" now, also very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:18 pm

Not sure if it is on Netflix but the remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a great movie while puffing away. Definitely a movie to pay attention too and better if you read the book prior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:41 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Not sure if it is on Netflix but the remake of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a great movie while puffing away. Definitely a movie to pay attention too and better if you read the book prior.
I was looking at that one, wasn't it a tv series? I tried reading the book, but it reads horribly (or is that just me?)
The new remake looks terrific.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:34 pm

There was an Alec Guinness version 20 years ago. I love the book as well as others with George Smiley. This version was a movie and very detailed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:07 pm

GeoffC wrote:
There was an Alec Guinness version 20 years ago. I love the book as well as others with George Smiley. This version was a movie and very detailed.

Yes, that was the television series. It is available on Netflix. I've heard it was very good.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080297/

The new movie is with Gary Oldham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BJ3rWva4_g
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:01 am

If you don't mind reading subtitles, "Castaway On The Moon," 2009 Korean flick. If you watch it and honestly don't like it, I'll send you a tin of your favorite tobacco (within reason), Simple Man.

Not kidding.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:29 am

Watched a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey on Netflix last night, highly reccomended.

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:43 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Watched a couple of episodes of Downton Abbey on Netflix last night, highly reccomended.
One of the best ever. Truly. season 2 + X-mas episode are of equal, grand quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:50 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
Puff Daddy wrote:
One of the best ever. Truly. season 2 + X-mas episode are of equal, grand quality.

I just saw this for the first time last night, watched episodes 1 and 2. Looks like only season 1 is up on Netflix, 7 episodes total. Hopefully they put season 2 up as well.

Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

Last edited by Simple Man on Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Also on Netflix is Gosford Park, which was written and controlled by the same chap who wrote and controls Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes. Won a bunch of awards that year, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I gave the movie 8/10, but it also didn't have two seasons and tens of episodes to develop and breathe. He's a master writer, no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Also on Netflix is Gosford Park, which was written and controlled by the same chap who wrote and controls Downton Abbey, Julian Fellowes. Won a bunch of awards that year, but we all know that doesn't mean a whole lot anymore. I gave the movie 8/10, but it also didn't have two seasons and tens of episodes to develop and breathe. He's a master writer, no doubt about it.

Not a bad film. Not great, to me, but not bad. *shrug* The subject matter was kind of boring, but it was well-written and directed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed May 02, 2012 10:01 pm

Melancholia
32 Short Films about Glenn Gould
Certified Copy
Everything Must Go
El Buli: Cooking in Progress
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed May 02, 2012 10:30 pm

I myself, dont have tv other than netflix,and HULU plus, so ive been watching t v series like Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate SGI, seen em all
Then I watched the whole series of Firefly,, it was ok, but theres a gal on there that looked familiar, and it turns out shes on stargate atlantis too, anyhow, I think shes cool.
Lately I have been watching Breakout, and Nikita series. Nikita is pretty hot too, so is her sidekick.

HuluPlus seems to have way too many Korean films, not that I'm against korean stuff, hell I spent 2 years over there, but holy cow , it dominates the selection on Hulu
BUT< Hulu DOES HAVE , Saturday Night Live ,, all of them ! , and hulu has a few comedy channels, with ALL of the past episodes of stand up.

Im kinda missing Deadman Walking, that new series. I realy liked it, and Netflix only has the first season, which I have seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Behike54

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm

RU,

Korea is the new HK, but more self-reflective.

I am in agreement with Kyle about MOON.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu May 03, 2012 9:30 am

Added "Rampart" to my DVD list and currently waiting on "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I wanted to see Tinker in the theater, but it never worked out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next