HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:40 am

Lone Survivor.

Take one true story, 4 Navy Seals, a compromised mission and you have some very compelling viewing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Operation Red Wings. (Lone Survivor) †Lutrell tells quite the story, does he not?
Regardless, It was more than 4 men on a mountain..
My prayer is that God gave these men rest, and bestowed some measure of peace upon their families.
Lt Michael P Murphy
SO2 †Matthew Axleson
SO2 Danny Dietz
SOC Jacques J Fontan
SOCS Daniel R Healy
LCDR Erik S Kristenson
SO1 Jeffry A Lucas
Lt Michael M McGreevy Jr
SO2 James E Suh
SO1 Jeffery S Taylor
SO2 Shane E Patton
SSG Shamis O Goare
CWO3 Corey J Goodnature
SGT Kip A Jacoby
SFC Marcus V Muralles
MSG James W. Ponder III
Maj Stephen C Reich
SFC Michael L Russell
CWO4 Chris J Scherkenbach

Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:55 am

In no particular order:
  • Michael Kitchen is superb in Foyle's War.
  • The Admiral: Roaring Currents is mind-blowing, especially for the fact that it's a true story. Superbly done with gorgeous cinematography.
  • Joss Whedon's Firefly is unlike anything else, ever. It's funny, brilliant, quirky, thrilling, surprising. It's a shame it only ran for one season, but its following is still growing. Also check out the follow-up movie, Serenity...but watch the Firefly series first.
  • Midsomer Murders is first rate. Any series that runs for 17 seasons is going to go through some changes, but Midsomer had remained solid throughout.
  • The Assets is a true story about a Soviet mole in the CIA. It's not flashy, so it takes a while to get into it. But it's well worth it.
  • Skinwalkers: The Navajo Mysteries is based on the Tony Hillerman novels, and he approved the scripts. The spectacular scenery of Navajo country with great stories. I wish they had made more of them.
  • Columbo - The classic series starring Peter Falk. Even if you saw it back in the '70s and '80s, it's worth watching again.
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Star Trek franchise peaked with this series. Creative stories, excellent writing, and fascinating characters. Even the first two seasons, which got off to a rocky start, had some phenomenal stuff.
  • Unforgiven - For Clint Eastwood fans; won Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director (Clint), and Best Supporting Actor (Gene Hackman). Awesome flick.

...for starters.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:39 am

Season two of Daredevil has started out pretty okay. 👍

House of cards season whatever is kinda okay but so far is a decline in previous efforts.

I have cut back on Netflix watching, I discovered I qualify for HBO GO and have been watching some movies via that outlet.

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:34 am

puros_bran wrote:
Re: Operation Red Wings. (Lone Survivor) †Lutrell tells quite the story, does he not?
Regardless, It was more than 4 men on a mountain..
My prayer is that God gave these men rest, and bestowed some measure of peace upon their families.
Lt Michael P Murphy
SO2 †Matthew Axleson
SO2 Danny Dietz
SOC Jacques J Fontan
SOCS Daniel R Healy
LCDR Erik S Kristenson
SO1 Jeffry A Lucas
Lt Michael M McGreevy Jr
SO2 James E Suh
SO1 Jeffery S Taylor
SO2 Shane E Patton
SSG Shamis O Goare
CWO3 Corey J Goodnature
SGT Kip A Jacoby
SFC Marcus V Muralles
MSG James W. Ponder III
Maj Stephen C Reich
SFC Michael L Russell
CWO4 Chris J Scherkenbach

Yup, good point PB.

It may be of interest for some that Lutrell made a few cameo appearances during the film.

The first was in the compound at the start of the film just after the two fellas got back from their run. Lutrell was the chap who knocked the coffee off the table and made a quip.

The second time was when the 2 chinooks came to recover the 4 Seals. As the RPG entered the ac Lutrell had a close up looking straight into the camera. The others in the ac were also serving Seals who made an appearance out of respect for those listed above.

I believe he was also in the audience for when the newby had to do his initiation performance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 am

I come and go with Netflix, HBO and ShowTime I've really enjoyed the Norwegian series Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley.
Better Call Saul and house of card were pretty good and spectacular viewing in 4k UHDTV. And on Showtime (free trial) Homeland was another good season.
I'm thinking about doing another trial of Amazon to power watch Bosch. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:09 pm

daveinlax wrote:
...Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley.... †

daveinlax: Oh yeah...I forgot about Heavy Water War. Good stuff. I havenít seen Occupied, The Fall, or Happy Valley. Iíll check Ďem out. Thanks!

Back to top Go down
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Vito wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
...Occupied and Heavy Water War and the BBC(?) The Fall and Happy Valley.... †

daveinlax: Oh yeah...I forgot about Heavy Water War. Good stuff. I havenít seen Occupied, The Fall, or Happy Valley. Iíll check Ďem out. Thanks!

Occupied is subtitled but the interactions with the Russians are in English but I really enjoyed and highly recommend that show. The Fall and Happy Valley are police serial dramas with female leads. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:18 pm

daveinlax wrote:

Occupied is subtitled but the interactions with the Russians are in English but I really enjoyed and highly recommend that show. The Fall and Happy Valley are police serial dramas with female leads. † Shocked

Subtitles donít bother me at all. I watch plenty of foreign productions, some of which are superb. Folks who are bothered by subtitles are missing some great stuff.

Female leads donít bother me either. In fact, Iím generally quite fond of de wimmen folk...well, unless theyíre running for political office. Same for de men folk.

Back to top Go down
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri May 27, 2016 3:20 pm

House, M.D. is fascinating. I've been binge-watching it during my current self-imposed vacation (decompression after finishing a multi-year project that took about 110% of my focus).

According to the show's creator, it's Sherlock Holmes in a medical context, with Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) as Holmes and James Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard) as Watson...sort of. The correlation isn't strictly consistent, but it's close enough to be unmistakable.

There are borderline soap-opera-ish aspects in some of the secondary story arcs, but (mercifully) they're restrained enough to never get cheesy...at least so far. I'm a little more than halfway through Season 2. The series had 177 episodes in eight seasons (2004 to 2012), during which it earned many nominations/awards. I can see why. It's well worth watching.

Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri May 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Breaking Bad and Peaky Blinders. I lost part of my life to both of these. Pleased to report I have resurfaced again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri May 27, 2016 6:20 pm

Stick wrote:
Breaking Bad and Peaky Blinders. I lost part of my life to both of these. Pleased to report I have resurfaced again.

Stick:

But surely there were some dividends...else why would so reasonable a brothah invest his primordial capital? †

Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Fri May 27, 2016 6:58 pm

"Rabdo!" †Has been a randomly yelled word in our house for years thanks to House.

Breaking Bad: The lady that did my Celtic Cross took pics of me and posted them on her Facebook. She told them I was Cranston. They believed her. It was finally enough to propel me to watch the show.

Vito

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:14 pm

puros_bran wrote:
"Rabdo!" †Has been a randomly yelled word in our house for years thanks to House.

I hadn't gotten far enough into the series when you posted that, pb. Since then I've finished all eight seasons. Now I get it.

Interesting that they chose Vicodin (hydrocodone) for the principal addictive substance. That stuff is garbage...a failed attempt to replace oxycodone with something that is way less effective...at least for me. They gave me hydro when I had my kidney stone, and it barely made a dent in the pain. It sucks for my back pain too. I get better results from 5 mg. of oxy than with 10 mg. of hydro.

It seems that addiction might be more likely with hydro, if you have to take so much more to kill the pain. For my part, I can't even imagine taking as much as House took. It makes me feel like crap if I take more than 10 mg. It's horrid stuff.

Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Peaky Blinders now has Season 3, it's a bang-up two episodes in.

We like "Bloodlines" as well, Season 2 was just released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:13 am

Vito wrote:
Stick wrote:

Stick:

But surely there were some dividends...else why would so reasonable a brothah invest his primordial capital? †

Yup. I could probably knock up some high grade meth now and have taken to wearing a flat cap.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?   Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 am

El Tiempo Entre Costuras - The Time in Between.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1864750/

Good show! The wife found it on netflix, thought it was an indie movie but turns out it's a 17 part Spanish mini series about the WWII era when Spain was going through it's civil war and Germany was threatening. English subtitiles, good acting and plot, very well done.

Anyone seen anything on Netflix worth watching?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3