HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I'm becoming a Minimalist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 pm

That's right, Brothers. I'm adopting a somewhat Minimalist lifestyle.

I just have too much crap laying around and in storage. Too many projects that need work or that I never finished take up 1/2 of my Smoke / Radio Room (Ham Radio).

My wife and I used to go to auctions twice a week, yard sales and the local flea-markets on week-ends, and so on.

We have ended up with way too much crap and i'm tired of it. Most of this S#IT is going to go. I'm having one hell of a yard sale in March - priced cheap to get rid of! What doesn't go is being donated to the local thrift store - merry effin christmas...

I don't have a large quantity of pipes (9 counting Cobs) so not doing anything here. Actually some of the money I make in the Yard Sale will add to my very small Cellar. Sure the Cellar will grow a little, but an empty storage room PLUS crap from all over the house will be gone - I'd call that a fair trade.

I've been reading for some time now on the 'Minimalist Lifestyle' and the more I read, the more I like the idea. For instance, one move is 'One Item A Day' - meaning getting rid of one item a day for a year. I can do that and not make too much of a dent.

Time for a Lifestyle Change, and my wife is with me on this 100%.

Wish me luck, Brothers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Last edited by Simple Man on Tue May 01, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

I've been trying to adhere to this myself for some time, going through purges every year or so. It feels good to get rid of all the crap that's been clogging up your home. I'm sure you'll feel much happier once the cleansing part of this project is complete.

Good for you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Good for you, Rob.
I kinda fell into that lifestyle accidentally after my divorce. Suddenly half the stuff I was used to having around seemed like way too much. I saw my parents go through the same thing when they retired. They had been antique collectors for decades. When I was a kid my friends would ask if I lived in a museum. Razz Eventually they realized their possessions were starting to own them instead of the other way around. Now they live a happy, fairly spartan lifestyle in northern Michigan.
Best regards,
-G
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 pm

Another thing is to start removing things you haven't used in over a year. Books, clothes, whatever. This practice seems to be at odds with cellaring/aging tobacco though.

"Hmmm, what's this? FVF? 12 years just sitting here!? GONE!!"

Nope, didn't think so.Razz

Naw, seriously, I'm all for it too. A couple of years ago I tossed almost all my clothes that didn't fit the "one year" criterion. A lot of stuff went out. I can honestly say none of it was missed. The hardest thing to pare down would be my music stuff. While I operate with the minimum of intruments necessary, I've got troves of music, accessories,etc. Hard to get rid of that even if most of is is just in boxes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm on board. Over the past year I've donated or tossed/recycled many things I'll never use. Have a long way to go but it's a start.

Too much "stuff".....

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:10 pm

While I find the idea of a minimalist lifestyle very appealing, I think I live quite the opposite. I am certainly not a hoarder, but I have tendency to keep things just because they may become useful at some later date. I cut up old garden hoses for rubber tubing, I save old screws and nuts and bolts in an old tackle box. I keep old computers to canabalize when I need parts. I'm short, I am the anti-minimalist.

As a matter of fact my wife is on my case at this very minute because I have a 27" TV sitting on the floor in the bedroom because we got a new one for the living room, moved that old living room set up to the bedroom and now have no use for the old bedroom TV, but I can't bring myself to get rid of a perfectly good television.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Dave_In_Philly wrote:
As a matter of fact my wife is on my case at this very minute because I have a 27" TV sitting on the floor in the bedroom because we got a new one for the living room, moved that old living room set up to the bedroom and now have no use for the old bedroom TV, but I can't bring myself to get rid of a perfectly good television.

This is why they invented CraigsList. Sell it to someone who will get good use out of it and put a few extra dollars in your pocket. Badda bing, badda boom. Everybody wins. Capiche?

Whoa. I just channeled my inner mafia. Weird. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:24 am

Thanks for the support, Brothers. I'm really just starting to implement this and have a very long way to go, but the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Craigslist is great, so is the FreeCycle network. As soon as it warms up a little more here, I can really get started (Yard Sale). In the meantime, it's planning and getting rid of old clothes that I haven't worn in years or shoes that I should've thrown out many moons ago.

As I said, my wife and I were both Packrats, so it's going to take a while. Not just in possessions (and junk), but lifestyle changes as well.

It's going to be a rocky road at first, but we'll make it. I can definitely see light at the end of the tunnel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:01 am

It's my stuff, and I like my stuff. We are comfortable together. I know where it all is. sunny

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:54 am

I'm starting to see the light as well. At 50 years of age, we're starting to accumulate too much, well, crap. One of our friends built a beautiful Victorian style home and have filled every room with stuff. We were there Friday night and it is just overwhelming. I don't want to ever live like that (but to each his own, right?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: I'm becoming a Minimalist   Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:16 am

If you really want to be a minimalist, get one IMP meerschaum pipe and decide on just a couple of tobaccos. A meer can be smoked everyday without need for rest. I once experimented with my meer and took it to work every day for two weeks, smoking it twice a day. No issues, it handled it just fine. If you smoke simple tobaccos these meers handle crossover without protest too. You can smoke, say, SG Medium Virginia for days on end, then carefully ream the pipe and move right into a simple Burley blend like Wesex Burley Slices with no ill effects, and back and forth and back and forth. I have noticed however that, even though the breathing qualities of meeschaum are pretty amazing, aormatics and latakia blends do stay with the pipe for some time, so I'd steer clear of them.

One pipe, one tamper, one lighter, one reamer, one big box of pipe cleaners, two varieties of tobacco. A nice, tidy minimalist approach that will last you as long as it takes for PAD to kick back into gear Wink

I'm becoming a Minimalist
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Life Events-
Jump to: