HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Finding Common Ground w/Dad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Finding Common Ground w/Dad   Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:36 pm

So I will start this post by first explaining that my parents are both non-smokers, my mom being more of an anti, who does in fact work for the Cancer Coalition department of the Health Department, and therefore is involved heavily with a lot of anti-smoking propaganda. I have never really talked much to them about my pipe smoking hobby and before a conversation I had with my dad this past Xmas while on the road together, neither of them really ever knew I smoked a pipe. Not sure how the initial conversation with my dad came up, but we are chatting about this and that, and somehow cigars came up in the conversation, and I casually mentioned that I enjoyed cigars and pipes as well. I was very surprised to learn that he had in fact smoked a pipe back in the 70s and had purchased his pipes and tobaccos from an old Tinder Box that used to be located at Eastpoint Mall in Baltimore. We never really talked more about pipes/tobaccos until today when I stopped up for a visit.

I have had a couple pipes lately that I have contemplated sending out to have the draft hole widened to 5/32" since they tend to gurgle a lot when smoked. My dad has been a tool and dye maker for 35 years by trade, and also has a huge garage at his house full of tools, drill presses, hydraulic lifts, etc. I decided on a whim to take one of my "problem" pipes up to him to see if he could widen the draft hole before sending it out. He was not only happy to help, but we furthered our conversation on pipes and he mentioned that he thought he still had some of his old pipes from the 70's somewhere in storage. He said that he would look for them and if he found them, he would let me have them if I thought they would be smokable. I told him about pipe refurbishing and the whole process of cleaning out pipes with grain alcohol, salt/alcohol treatment for the bowl, stem cleaning, etc. It was a really great conversation and not to mention my dad wound up doing a stellar job with the draft hole enlargement. What a great afternoon I had and I think I may have to take a couple more pipes up next week for him to work on. This could be the start of some really great father/son time on Sundays! cheers

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Finding Common Ground w/Dad   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:19 pm

That's great! When I started smoking pipes, I learned that my father smoked pipes for a short time in his early 20s. He still has some of his lying about somewhere, but he hasn't found his yet. For a short while, my dad actually picked up the pipe again, smoking one of mine a few times while we hung out on the porch together, but his wife wouldn't "allow" it to continue. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Finding Common Ground w/Dad   Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Good story. My first two pipes were hand-me-downs from my Father.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Finding Common Ground w/Dad
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1