HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:32 pm

I tried some of this two days ago for a blind review on another board and LOVED this stuff. I thought I'd repost the review here for folks to enjoy. Smile

McClelland 2015 smoked in my Geiger Poker.

Cut: Thick, juicy flakes with very dark tobacco compromising the bulk of the blend with shocks of blonde leaf distributed throughout. I love good flake tobacco and this is some good lookin' flake tobacco.

Presmoke: Upon opening the bag I'm immediately hit by McClelland VA smell. There's a vinegar sharpness in the nose with some very dark, rich fruit notes which were hard to pin down. The flakes were a bit moist for my taste so I rubbed out a few flakes and allowed the blend to dry for about 30 minutes before loading. The baccy was still a bit damp when I loaded up, but had dried significantly. Packing was easy.

First Light: Took to the flame like a duck to water. Charring light, tamp, true light and I was off and running for most of the bowl. Sweet but dark, rich, and earth notes seduced my palate early in the bowl.

1/3: The separate notes quickly coalesced into something akin to caramelized brown sugar. OMG this was good! Dark raisin & date notes rise and fall in the profile with some spice in the nose when snorked. This stuff is the divine nectar of fruit harvested from God's orchard.

2/3: Leading off this third, the profile changed to something that can only be described as caramel popcorn with a thick, creamy toffee undercurrent. This held strong into the final third.

3/3: Flavor held strong, never becoming bitter, just remaining amazing. Burned to a grey/black mottled ash with some soggy dottle in the heel of the chamber.

Overall: Stellar smoke. Deep, dark, rich, sweet, and complex. Before future smokes, I'll let this dry a bit more, but otherwise I'm ready for a pound or two of this stuff right now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Now that's an organized review. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 pm

Nice review and well organized for sure. I tried 2 oz of this a few years ago and though it was the usual FANTASTIC MCClellans quality Virginia, the Preique just did not do it for me. I'm really not much of a fan of VaPer's and this one sadly is along that line so I've not bought anymore. I'll stick with straight Virginias and Oriental blend/Mixtures . JMHO Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Count me in as a BIG fan of 2015. In fact it's become my go-to these days.

Bought some from WingRider on the trade forum, and he added an additional 15% Perique. Gotta say that combination is winner winner chicken dinner! In fact I have some set out to dry right now for a bit later.

<<<<<<<<<<------------Guess that makes me a Perique pipedawg!

(so solly Kyle)

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:14 pm

This one used to be talked about more than it has in recent years. It is very good. Superb, as most McClelland's are, with age. I need to revisit this one. I have some jars with 15+ years of age on them.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Even after a year there is remarkable difference in this blend. I opened a little 2015 from 2010 and already there was a mellower sweeter quality. The rest is just sitting. Waiting, lol.

Geez Carlos, 15+ years! I want! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm

Carlos, care do do a little Chicagoland BoB trading? Wink
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 am

UberHuberMan wrote:
Carlos, care do do a little Chicagoland BoB trading? Wink

I will try to remember to bring some along. I just happen to be trying to make some sense of that cabinet. It's a mess right now.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Great review. I too am a fan of 2015. I bought a 5 lb bag of it about 2 years ago from Mars -- only have about 16 oz left! (And I mostly smoke latakia blends)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:42 am

gkhanna74 wrote:
Great review. I too am a fan of 2015. I bought a 5 lb bag of it about 2 years ago from Mars -- only have about 16 oz left! (And I mostly smoke latakia blends)

I just bought 2 lbs and you're making me wish I'd actually stocked up. This stuff is divine! I've smoked more of this in the last week than any one blend in the last 6 months.
Back to top Go down
gkhanna74

Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 am

I think 2015 is always worth stocking up on. It is very high quality. McClellands has some of the most decadent Va and Va/perique blends out there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ol'Dawg

Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 pm

A long lost member of this board and the old Knox board named regor, would combine 2015 and Marlin Flake into a 50/50 mixture for his favorite smoke. This lead me to a mix of equal proportions of 2015, Marlin Flake and 5100. When I'm on the road I always smoke this mix in my Brissett bent egg, aka Georgia Traveler.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hunter5117

Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:13 am

Carlos wrote:
This one used to be talked about more than it has in recent years. It is very good. Superb, as most McClelland's are, with age. I need to revisit this one. I have some jars with 15+ years of age on them.

Back when I last returned to the pipe, 2015 was the only vaper that I smoked. As Carlos said, it was the topic of many pipe discussion threads. And it was an amazing bargain, 5 lbs could be had for $80 or even less if you shopped. Lately PSLNF has edged it out in my rotation but I still have many pounds aging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Yuppers, digging up old threads I am........

Got a half pound of 2015 today. It keeps coming out in other posts, and of the Ginny bulks, this is one of the last few I haven't tried....

Gotta say, it's mighty fine stuff. Couldn't imagine adding too much more Perique than it already possesses though.......... More to follow on a new TAD thread later!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Still my go-to VaPer.

Mit or mit out the 15% added p-weed!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:05 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
My go-to, and favorite, tobacco for a few years running is McClelland #2015, and I gotta say...I prefer it brand new. Even six month age robs it of its earthy, grassy undertones. Then, 12-18 months into it, the caramel and molasses begin to lessen. If the financials didn't play into it, I'd buy two ounces at a time.

I don't get that peppery bite with McClelland perique like I do C&D perique blends, so I can't say I notice how heavyhanded it is in# 2015.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
My go-to, and favorite, tobacco for a few years running is McClelland #2015, and I gotta say...I prefer it brand new.  Even six month age robs it of its earthy, grassy undertones.  Then, 12-18 months into it, the caramel and molasses begin to lessen.  If the financials didn't play into it, I'd buy two ounces at a time.

I don't get that peppery bite with McClelland perique like I do C&D perique blends, so I can't say I notice how heavyhanded it is in# 2015.

True. McClelland's has the sweetest Perique on the planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:03 am

2015 was one of my first transcendent pipe experiences. The tangy Virginia and that spicy peppery perique! good!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review   Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm

I've been going through a "bulk" tobacco thing, only in 2 oz. bags so I can sample a bunch.

Fell in love with 2015, no surprise, it being a McClelland offering, have been savoring it as much as 5100, the other "out of tin" McC offering I've been smoking. I dedicate a pipe for each tobacco I end up loving, gives me a nice excuse to buy some nice pipes, but hell, what'll I smoke when I go broke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

McClelland 2015 VA/PER Flake Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1