HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 am

Sasquatch wrote:
I can't stand 'em myself. I'll take an open draw and no contraptions over the stinger any day.

I agree wholeheartedly sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
phillpsych

Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Old Wood   Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Brothers;
I have not posted on here in quite some time. For various reasons. And for other various reasons, I'm back, and glad I am.
I have dozens of Kaywoodies. My passion is very old, pre-WWII, unsmoked Kaywoodies. I have several, and they haunt me, because I want to smoke them. But I have broken in a few old ones, and it's an experience. One must be patient. When one is, one is rewarded.
The old Kaywoodies, pre-WWII, were made from a stockpile of OLD briar assembled by Kaywoodie that was the envy of the pipe world back in the day. Some of the 1930's and 1920's pipes I own were made from 300 or 400 year old briar, and they are damn near a 100 years old POST manufacture.
Consider that.
There are some in the pipe smoking world who consider briar that old to have unparalleled smoking qualities. Mr. Books, the fine tobacconist in Oregon, can't praise OLD Wood enough. Kaywoodies are fine smokers. Of course there are some that don't smoke well. I've had some VERY EXPENSIVE high grades that don't smoke as well as some of my older Kaywoodies, and some Kaywoodies that are pure junk. But for the most part, the fact that they are American made, the fact that they have served pipe smokers well for decades, the fact that there is a huge nostalgia factor, the fact that there are thousands of them available, and the fact that many many of us collect them... make a very strong case for the brand, the pipe, and the respect Kaywoodie deserves.
I'm no expert by any means. In my Chicago club, there are some who know way more than me. But, few who love them as much. And for a really interesting hobby... collect some old KBB pipes, or old KBB Yello-Boles. I have a cheap old, 1940's Yello-Bole Thorn that is HANDS DOWN the best smoking pipe in my collection. I bought it for 5 bucks and refurbished it. HANDS DOWN the best smoking pipe I own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Kaywoodie is one of those brands that sings "CHEAP" in my ears. I know others have a different opinion but I doubt I'll ever buy one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radio807

Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:04 am

I have three Kaywoodies: one from the late 1920s, one from around 1955 and one from the 1960s. The newer one is an Oom Paul that I'm not thrilled with, but the other two are fine smokers. I will likely add others. As to the impression of "cheap," well...whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
phillpsych

Registration date : 2010-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:55 am

Dull is one of those personalities that sings "ignorant" in my ears. I know others have a different opinion, but I doubt I'll ever take you seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lifeon2

Registration date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:54 am

For everyone that looks down on Kaywoodies or doesnt want to own a cheap inferior fitment pipe, God bless you all. More for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?   Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:00 pm

My late Pap smoked Kays. Seemed pretty happy with them. At least I never heard him complain about them.

He was also a one brand 'baccy man. Always Uhles 255. Never any other.

A man of simple tastes, but he knew what worked for him. God rest his soul.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

Disappointed by a Kaywoodie. Anyone else?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: