HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Treeder13

Registration date : 2012-04-17

PostSubject: Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit   Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:37 am

Hello, I'm new here I know I enjoy tobacco but I've been having some bad luck with my cigars lately. They are drying out to fast moldy all that bad stuff yuck, So I'm thinking about switching to pipes I've been looking at pipesandcigars.com starter kits and two have caught my eye. They are the Italian churhwarden set and the Italian bent silver band are the two I've got my eyes on. They both come with two tins of tobacco a pipe tool cleaners and matches might I get some help from the professionals as to rather this is a good idea? Smile Thanks for the help!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit   Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:43 am

I would recommend going to your local tobacconist and buying a corncob pipe (also to read this: http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t12942-the-corncob-primer-3-03-2012 which is good for more than just cobs.)

From a good tobacco shop you should also be able to buy some samples of various tobaccos. In fact, if you say which styles of cigar you like you will get quite a few tobacco recommendations here, possibly giving your sample buying a little better focus.

Now, the reason I recommend a cob: cheap (but good quality), a good smoke, easy to use. I particularly would caution you away from the churchwarden as a first pipe as the long stem makes for some additional complications that a first time pipe smoker does not need. After all, the point of a pipe is to enjoy the smoke, enjoy the experience, as such, smoke slowly, know that there will be relights a plenty and it takes a little practice. A little practice and a lifetime of refinement.

If you go this route you should get started for ~$10 to ~$15 instead of $30.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum, ask questions, share your experience and enjoy. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit   Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am

Yep, Kiev is right, a corncob is a good idea. and they do smoke great. You'll be surprised once you hold an "MM Cob" in your hand. They are meant for smoking, not just a toy cob.

I started with a cheap Yelo-Bole, and it was probably a good thing, as at first I would get that puppy HOT.

But, if you want to start with a briar, by all means go for it. A "First" pipe, is going to be just that forever, and mine is a yelo-bole, (Not too much of a show off pipe) so then I have my "First" Briar, (and it was a cheapy, that I broke the stem on)
So then , I have My First Pete, and thats where I start when showing them off.

Any which way, there is a learning curve here, and its up to you on how much money you want to chance..cracking, or breaking.

But I must say again, MM Cobs are awesome. I have 6 , and I love them. Try a MM Cob Great Dane Spool,, man it just feels good in hand. Heck, you can order a forever stem to spruce it up, and the stem will live on , and fit other Cobs in your future.
And for $8.00, you cant go wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit   Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:24 am

PS, also, when I finally got a Peterson, I started worrying about rotating it, so as not to sour it,,, Thats where Cobs came in. A very economical way to set up a rotation, to preserve the better pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roogles

Registration date : 2011-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit   Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am

I'm actually a big fan of the MM Hardwood "cobs".

Ozark Mountain Hardwood Pipe

I have four (2 of each) which are my everyday, carry in my pocket, keep in the car, oops I broke one, oh well, go-to pipes.

they are cheap, smoke great, are light enough to clench, and if you sit on one, break one, step on it, lose it, or just don't like it - oh well, it was only $5.

I've got quite an assortment of other MM cobs as well, which I smoke regularly - but the Ozark Hardwoods are hard to beat!

Just my $0.02.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://blog.roogles.com

Thinking about getting a pipe starter kit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1