HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: search   Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinkin' Shane was really sprinting toward the bunker, dropped a stray package and did a double spin in the air tryin' to snag it and then coming down backwards with one leg splayed out. Ouch.

Visioning a Matrix thing with slo-mo..."Nooo-o-o-o-o-o-o".

I am slightly frightened to know whether this was a picture you had saved on your computer already or if you searched for it lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Tue May 22, 2012 2:39 am

DustyRoundup wrote:

Just got hit by a stray bomb.

I dont even know what to do with this one ?
theres some 9 year old Esoterica Dunbar
8 yr old Cumberland
and some 4 yr old , FVF, Old Gowrie, and Univ Flake.

WoW ! Very Happy Should I smoke it, ? or try to age it more???

Nah - smoke it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Tue May 22, 2012 3:24 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
DustyRoundup wrote:

Just got hit by a stray bomb.

I dont even know what to do with this one ?
theres some 9 year old Esoterica Dunbar
8 yr old Cumberland
and some 4 yr old , FVF, Old Gowrie, and Univ Flake.

WoW ! Very Happy Should I smoke it, ? or try to age it more???

Nah - smoke it!

Smoke it for sure!!! That way you can leave some of your other new tins in the cellar Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Tue May 22, 2012 3:39 am

So earlier I received TWO MORE stray bombs! This is getting ridiculous guys!!! Cool
Once again I'm blown away!!! It's too late for pictures so I'll be back with an update tomorrow but here's a list of the new goods:

One 50g tin 1792 flake! Yum!
One 2oz. tin GLP Stratford!!! It's been on my to try list forever!!!
One 2oz tin C&D Bow-legged Bear sounds like a great full English crumble cake!!!
2oz G&H Louisiana Perique flake!!! It smelled so good I smoked a bowl right away. Great stuff!!!
100g Wessex Gold Brick!!! Another blend I've wanted to try but always seems to be out of stock!!! It's going to be great I can tell just by looking at the plug goodness Very Happy
And 7(!!!) types of snuff to try that are all new to me. Very generous samples as well. So far I've tried the Wilsons of Sharrow Rose and it's GREAT cheers

...AND.... A Lane-era Charatan Canadian!!! Oh man this is a great pipe! Wonderful blast, perfect classic proportions... I'm so pumped!!!! It's going to make a great pipe for all these new English blends I have to try after this bombing!!!

Thanks again to all you guys!!! My girl can't believe so many people would just send me so many goodies! I had to swear that I didn't just go nuts and buy myself a bunch of tobacco lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 am

Lesath wrote:
s.ireland wrote:
Okay so here's what I came home to...

Don't mind the guard beagle Smile

It's going to take me some time to get some good photos of all the loot but I have opened every package... Holy s**t there's so much... So awesome... So many tobaccos to try... OVERLOAD!!! Smile

Thank you all so much!!! I'm going to be very busy for the next few hours so don't wait up Razz But I'll be back ASAP with photos and a comprehensive list of the haul

Is that the official BOB bomb-sniffing beagle?

If it's anything like my beagle/mutt, it's an official "butt" smelling beagle! Laughing

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Tue May 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Important Update for all Pilots...

I contacted personnel at the target sites to check and see how things were going and asked them to report the number of bombs that came in during the attacks.

At this point, both Dusty and Shane are short...3 in one location...perhaps 4-5 in the other.

I know that a couple of pilots sent messages to headquarters that their flights were delayed...but at this point all bombs should easily have reached their intended targets. This is not good. It means that we had a 'no drop' percentage of something in the neighborhood of nearly a quarter of the total number of those that said (and were re-checked) they wanted to participate.

If anyone had a problem or a delay - PM me ASAP to let me know. It's not a problem...as long as you follow through with your committment. If not (and I have PM'd those whose names were on the 'send' list, whose bombs did not show up) there will be a little bit of public humiliation in store.

If you want out of the Squadron, for any reason, let me know. I will totally understand and nothing will be said about a 'no show' on this mission (as per the paragraph above) and I will just drop you from the roster at the start of the next one and start building from there.

Since "I forgot." is not an acceptible excuse...maybe next round I'll require DC numbers from all those sending boxes...which is most likely a good idea anyway. So once the final check-in is done, after your plane lifts off...you would PM me the DC number. Simple.

If anyone feels that the above is not fair...please feel free to let me know VIA PM! This is not a topic for open discussion...it's more an administrative cross check. Whatever.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Update on Bombing Check-up:

So - things are resolving very well and in a very short period of time. Looks like we're getting back on an even keel.

Interesting what you find out if you ask. One "I forgot". One "I sent on the 11th" (not received yet). One "I sent on the 19th" (Not reported received yet). Two not reported intially, but thanks to the photos...their bombs were seen amid the carnage (lol). Two not reported in as yet (held on AWOL list). So..better.

One of those who was asked for details, etc. asked about this being a 'blind' bombing in that the target wasn't to know who sent what. My response is reprinted below, slightly ammended so as to not reflect individual information.

Quote :
"Some guys put their real return address on their box with real name. Some guys used a fake name but the real addy. Others, like you used the target's address, etc.

This is 'supposed' to be anonymous...and for those that didn't use their real data it will be. Gifts are not linked to senders, unless senders do so. This cross-check is 'masked' so that the target still won't know who sent if there was no real data on the box...and I will maintain that during this and any future checks.

It's just that all in all it looked as though 21 boxes out of 30 were received by the targets. So we possibly have 9 guys in the 'program' that didn't send or whose boxes didn't make it. Hence the check-up to try and define for myself and for senders, if something that was sent was received.

It seemed to me that if guys wanted to be in this thing, they would have sent a bomb. Conversely, if they don't want to be in it...well, you can guess my direction here. I just don't want to expend what is a significant amount of energy and effort in a design that resuilts in a 1/3 no show result. I think in one of my rambling posts I mentioned that I would be doing some 'evaluation' on the design so as to end up with something that works well. Already I've decided that next round everyone will be requred to send their bombs with a DC # and PM that number to me after mailing. It seems two packages, so far, were sent and didn't arrive. A DC# would allow us to determine exactly what happened and hopefully recover the package and get it to it's proper destination, etc. There were also several guys, again so far, that 'forgot' to send a box (hmmmm) and if we required a DC# it would help those with a lot going on a little help in 'remembering'."

Again...this is to ensure that everyone is on the same page.

In addition...just to see if you're paying attention:

Now is the time for anyone with specific feedback to PM me with comments or suggestions. We've adopted a standard calendar of events for the future, decided to require that a DC# be sent to me via PM following mission take-off...any other ideas?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

Now is the time for anyone with specific feedback to PM me with comments or suggestions. We've adopted a standard calendar of events for the future, decided to require that a DC# be sent to me via PM following mission take-off...any other ideas?

I know it would be a hassle, but possibly a PM to each member on the list say 1 or 2 days before packages are to be mailed out - would serve as a reminder if nothing else. For Example: If the Bombing date is the 18th, then maybe a PM on the 13th or so..

Since this program is dependent upon the 'Good Will' system, it's hard to hold someone accountable for their actions in a situation like this. PM'ing you (Blackhorse) the DC # is great idea, as packages can be tracked.

With the time and effort you (BH) already put in to this, perhaps you could delegate some of this responsibility to one of your Generals or another willing and dependable Captain. I know that I wouldn't mind helping you share the workload with a project of this size, and i'm sure that many of the other Brothers regularly involved in this would also be willing to help you out as well.

Of course this wouldn't work if the person helping you was the intended target(s) - there you would need to have a list of 2 or 3 helpers to choose from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:23 pm

Don't you have to request delivery confirmation as an added paid service to get a DC#? Or is this standard with priority shipping and I've never noticed it?

(for never bothering to look at receipts, I guess publicly asking a stupid question is probably a pretty small price to pay)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:30 pm

idbowman wrote:
Don't you have to request delivery confirmation as an added paid service to get a DC#? Or is this standard with priority shipping and I've never noticed it?

Adding Delivery Confirmation to a Priority Mail package costs, I believe, an additional 75-cents. Of course you can add it to Standard Mail as well, but the price goes up to 85-cents. Either way, for less than a buck it's a worthwhile investment IMO - being able to track your package...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sam a

Registration date : 2012-01-20

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:49 pm

thought i'd add a quick tip... UPS 3-day select, or 2 day air, are great options for this sort of thing. that way you know exactly when the package will land at the target, and you get superior tracking info (IMHO). it does cost a few bucks more, but to some it may be worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 pm

Considering I'm probably going to be dishonorably discharged for my wanton disregard for all things structured, I eyeballed the ruins, and I have made the best attempt I could.

Part Jedediah the Pilot from Mad Max...

Part Kikuchiyo of Seven Samurai...

...would you expect anything less?

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 4:03 pm

I have no idea what to suggest since I have no Idea what you are doing as far as bombing choices and set up Sir. for example do you have it set up with two teams with cross bombing for the decoy target? Or do you just kinda go woth the flow and do as you wish when you wish it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Remember - send your suggestions via PM to me...if there are any.

Regarding "how we do things"...

I guess I'd better explain what happened as there have been a number of questions sent to me via PM.

First: There is no "standard" way that this is going to happen every month, expect for dates and some other 'structure'.

For this past month we picked two targets all right. A primary (Shane) and a secondary (Dusty) and assigned pilots accordingly. 20 Pilots were assigned to the primary and 10 to the secondary. There were 4 names recommended by my "Selection Committee" and I picked the two based on a number of factors. I think it turned out well for guys that participated...and the targets of course.

There were a number of reasons that we decided on two targets this round. One was we thought it would be fun. Another was that we wanted to demonstrate that you never can tell what's going to happen...surprizes await around every corner. Since there's no lack of deserving targets, that wasn't really a part of it...but we did want to hit a long term BoB member AND a relative newbie with this one.

Again...if any of you have ideas of unique and interesting ways to mix things (and members) up, let me know via PM. I'm always open to ways that will confound the membership and reward the worthy. And if you don't see your specific ideas implemented the month you suggest them...just wait a little...there's always next month, or the month after.

On a bright note: With the cooperation of the targets and the Pilots we have completed the 'after party' tracking of packages. A number of guys were waiting on specific items to come into possession, some had been called out of town for work related things, a couple 'forgot', etc., etc., etc. At this time we have all but one possible 'no show' nailed down.

A final word. Again...if this is more than you can accomodate given work schedules or whatever, let me know. That's the big thing...communiation. Just tell me if you can't do this and you'll be given an honorable discharge...no hard feelings as there's nothing wrong with that...no harm/no foul. But if you say you're going to follow through...then do so...and in a timely manner. We had several guys deplyed to hot zones right in the middle of this thing and they made arrangements for their bombs to be delivered in the manner proscribed. If you say you're gonna do it...do it. If you can't...tell me. To me, that's not a matter of commitment so much as it's a matter of character. Nuff said.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
idbowman wrote:

Adding Delivery Confirmation to a Priority Mail package costs, I believe, an additional 75-cents. Of course you can add it to Standard Mail as well, but the price goes up to 85-cents. Either way, for less than a buck it's a worthwhile investment IMO - being able to track your package...

I didn't realize it was so cheap..sounds like its more than worth it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit-

@BH: Not that you strike me as a the sort of guy that needs an 'atta boy, but as one of the new guys to board, I did want to say that the whole Bomber thing is friggin' cool. And very well coordinated. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 8:39 pm

idbowman wrote:
Rob_In_MO wrote:
idbowman wrote:

I didn't realize it was so cheap..sounds like its more than worth it. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit-

@BH: Not that you strike me as a the sort of guy that needs an 'atta boy, but as one of the new guys to board, I did want to say that the whole Bomber thing is friggin' cool. And very well coordinated. Thanks for that.

It was a great idea and has been extremely fun. Of course being a target was amazingly awesome but truth be told I'm REALLY looking forward to the next round Smile so yes, thank you very much, BH!!! Here's hoping this goes on for many months and that many brothers get what's coming to 'em Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 9:14 pm

idb: two things.

First: I think that when anyone around here does a sale or trade and sends a pipe or even some pipeweed out...we almost ALWAYS put DC on it. Look at it this way...if it's something that you don't want to have to send again...DC is the way to get it back or prove that you did what you said you were going to do. It's the cheapest protection on both sides of the deal you'll ever see. USPS tracking is basic at best, but so far as where it ends up and when...it works. UPS, on the other hand...well they can almost let you follow your specific package via satellite view as it scoots down the road inside the brown truck. Well, almost. lol

Second: I know it seems like I'm always just HANGING OUT here..and that this is all so easy and all...but it hard man...it's not the physical exertion (although there is that of course) it's the PRESSURE! Man...the PRESSURE will kill you!!!

To bring home these points...the hanging out and the pressure...I've put together a little Audio Visual aide. See if you can spot your fellow pilots among the characters:

Corporal...would you hit the lights please!

Now, just turn your volume up, push the button below and do a full screen thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsJtzPng5U&feature=player_embedded

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Pilots gone wild.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Wed May 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Pilots gone wild, eh?

We twin sons of different mothers need only look in the mirror to see Stattler and Waldorf.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 2:40 am

I'm pretty sure I saw Kyle in there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 6:51 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Pilots gone wild, eh?

We twin sons of different mothers need only look in the mirror to see Stattler and Waldorf.

Indeed, I always aspired to achieve their level of greatness. Your choice of clip did stir some memories. I recall during that era being compared to Fozzy Bear, as I was so furry.I'm glad to see you've moved me up the evolutionary scale. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 9:21 am

We all evolve. I'm at least up to 'Animal' at this point.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 11:04 am

Communication is the key to all of this.

My work is probably only passed by medical, police or (true) military in the time I get to assemble myself before I head out. Often, when I'm called out, I get two days notice. Sometimes (like this time) I get asked to do even more beyond the original schedule--their attitude, "You're out there, what's the big deal?" Never mind family, obligations, etc. Laughing

I still was able to participate, all things considered, and I'm nailing both gents just to make up for it. Really, there is no excuse not to at least send messages to Commander Horse--I did, and tried to keep the ball rolling. AWOLs will be tied down and have Borkum Riff stuffed in their mouths for two hours. Laughing I have PLENTY. Twisted Evil

Oh, and always get a tracking number/delivery confirmation. It's included in some services and less than a buck at the USPS. Unexploded, misplaced ordinance does no damage to the target and only threatens civilians.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
AWOLs will be tied down and have Borkum Riff stuffed in their mouths for two hours. Laughing I have PLENTY. Twisted Evil

Speaking of which, I read a rather amusing TR review on Borkum Riff the other day. I laughed, and laughed heartily. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!   Thu May 24, 2012 11:33 am

idbowman wrote:
Kyle Weiss wrote:
AWOLs will be tied down and have Borkum Riff stuffed in their mouths for two hours. Laughing I have PLENTY. Twisted Evil

Speaking of which, I read a rather amusing TR review on Borkum Riff the other day. I laughed, and laughed heartily. Very Happy

Make a thread for it and post a link in the Tobacco area... I'm sure Rob and I will get a kick out of it. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

the SECOND real actual BoB Bomber sign-in!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next