HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A few shots from work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Fri May 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Fantastic Kyle,
Really enjoyed seeing your posts and pics concerning the desert and mineral deposits. What interesting hard work it is to be trudging through the arid expanse and staking out property bounds. Glad you are back to get some R&R.
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DustyRoundup

Registration date : 2011-11-03

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Fri May 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Hey Kyle,, Those are some cool wonderstones.
Have you ever heard of Montana wonderstone? out of and area just east of Dillon Montana? Its HUGE stuff! most are like that, but theres also some green bands in some.

The reason I ask, is , in that same area, "Volcanic" theres an "ash" bed about 10 miles away from the wonderstone spot, and in that ash bed are " Birds egg Opals" from what I researched, I guess it has something to do with raindrops falling into the ash bed, then somehow, brought together "silica"??? and more ash fell, conditions were just right, and hence, formed , The opals
Did I get that right?

And ,, do you find Opalized stuff in your prospecting? Down there in Nevada.

and ,, LOL, are you allowed to keep cool specimens?
and ,,,Do you keep specimens??? or, do you see so many that you are bored with common specimens?

Ya know, here in Butte Montana, theres the school of mining and minerology, and the museum they have there is absolutely awesome, theres like a 3 foot tall amethyst in there, that was found local.

Man Kyle, the rockhound in me , would just love to hang out with you and pick your brain..
But I'd probably annoy you,, ,,,If I get to annoying you talkin about your job,, just say so , I'll back off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

Registration date : 2012-03-20

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 pm

GREAT HORNY TOADS! couldn't resist. Your desert views are similar to mine. being from Tucson. You being from central Arizona would agree. My wife and I are starting beginning rock hounds. The stuff we've found the most of is fire agate. with some other agates thrown in. We've done most of our rock hounding over in the Stafford and Clifton, AZ areas. The one area that I've been in Nevada was the Valley of Fire, would love to rock hound there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Not sure how I missed responses to this, sorry guys.

Dusty: I find opal-like stones pretty frequently in that area, but nothing that's spectacular. I don't think there was enough moisture at the time(s) of volcanic activity around there. I haven't checked too extensively the mineralogy of the area (you have to concentrate on the work, or else you'll geek out and waste time, get lost, etc... Laughing ). Opal and opaline rocks form under various conditions. For example, there's old petrified forests and even an opal mine you can go to with some equipment and dig out your own here in Nevada. Just search "Nevada Opal Mine." There's several to choose from.

Wonderstone is somewhat common, unless it's described legally as an "uncommon variety," which is then able to be staked and commercially used. It tends to look similar, and exists from the Dakotas to Colorado, and from up where you are to Mexico. Nevada hasn't much of it, but Utah, Idaho and Montana have some exceptional deposits. It's pretty, but ain't worth much to folks except rock hounds and people that want pretty rocks.

I can keep stuff I find, but I don't do too much of that. One, I have to haul it back miles to the vehicle, and weight is better offset by the stuff I'm out there being paid to look at and carrying water. Laughing Two, you have to be careful if you pick up stuff on someone's claim--otherwise, it's stealing and prosecutable. If I find a pretty rock or two, I usually give them to people or throw 'em in the fish tank for color (provided they aren't toxic). Cool Nah, I don't get bored with rocks. It'd be pretty silly if I did. I probably only know about 5% of what's to be known about rocks, I have YEARS to go, and so far I only really know Great Basin geology. Keep rock hounding, it's a fun hobby.

That school there in Butte is gonna end up turning into more museum than school with the way laws and the EPA is going. Laughing

Desertpiper: The Great Basin and Sonora Desert are WAAAAY different, geologically, geographically, and biologically... I miss Arizona, quite honestly. Nevada is one sparse area. Going from Nevada to Arizona for me is like someone going from an alpine forest to the Amazon. The bugs, critters, plant life and rocks there are mind-boggling. There's a lot of agate here in NV, but it is localized to one volcanic episode (fairly recent) compared to the 150 (guessing) or so episodes of Arizona. You can find some AWESOME rocks in your back yard. We gotta work for it out here. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Also, I'm headed to Winnemucca today for another project, so I'll post some more pictures for you guys soon. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:29 pm

That's true there are a lot of awesome rocks and minerals out here (I just had a coworker show me his gold that he dug for over the weekend). The only problem everyone who does rock hounding noes it. So the pickings can be pretty slim. unless you can get into a mine. Plus there's the jem and mineral show every year. If any rock hounders are interested come on down for the show, it's awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:36 pm

desertpiper wrote:
Plus there's the jem and mineral show every year. If any rock hounders are interested come on down for the show, it's awesome.

...and the Holograms? I hear she's outrageous. Truly, truly outrageous. Cool

Laughing

There's plenty of rocks in the ground for everyone, you just gotta go looking for it. You might have to hike to where people don't usually go--parking on the side of a highway or in a state park probably won't be very fruitful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:42 pm

oh, we hike. the last time we hiked 4 miles up a wash just to get to the area were the agate's at. No roads what so ever, out in the desert. We found two nice pieces, and a couple of buckets of stuff that needs to be cleaned and examined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm

desertpiper wrote:
oh, we hike. the last time we hiked 4 miles up a wash just to get to the area were the agate's at. No roads what so ever, out in the desert. We found two nice pieces, and a couple of buckets of stuff that needs to be cleaned and examined.

Sounds about right. Washes are great places--you know it goes though, whatever you find (or don't find) might be better or worse over the next ridge. Classic prospector's nightmare. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Yep, already have done that. Like everyone already dug here, so I'm going to go on the other side of this mountain and look the picking must be better, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 am

Go after a good monsoon storm has dumped on a mountainside and the waters have safely trickled away. You'd be shocked what is left over. You might think people have "stripped clean" an area, but usually all it takes is a season or a simple storm to reset the place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desertpiper

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

I think that's the first time I heard the words monsoon & trickle used in the same sentence, lol. We haven't had a chance to do any hounding after a monsoon yet, looking for to it though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:48 am

Oh but it's true, they rage, they rush, the rain stops, then trickle to nothing eventually...just a slightly soggy arroyo with stuff rearranged somewhat waiting for the next round. Laughing I remember trying to clear some washed-up mesquite branches that stacked up on a bank to go diggin' in some dirt and found half a mangled cholla laying out of sight, underneath and in wait--probably 100 spins in my fingertips. That'll learn me. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm

Work was cancelled due to BLM wild horse roundup. We literally drive 500 miles round-trip for nothing. Laughing

Well, almost nothing--the client still has to get charged...t'wasn't our fault. Neutral

No pictures this time. Maybe next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Work was cancelled due to BLM wild horse roundup. We literally drive 500 miles round-trip for nothing. Laughing

Well, almost nothing--the client still has to get charged...t'wasn't our fault. Neutral

No pictures this time. Maybe next week.

You can't look at a calender but you can charge him for the trip?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:01 am

The BLM obfuscates the exact locations and dates of the wild horse roundups due to animal activists interfering with their efforts. The fact we happened upon them on the date we went out at our expected location was literally a fluke. When they realized we weren't troublemakers, they seemed very relieved. We still had to turn back, however.

So yes, it's perfectly reasonable to charge my client (about 30 collective investors with some serious bucks) my vehicle mileage, gas, lodging and time. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 am

Makes sense.
You're off the hook this time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: A few shots from work.   Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:55 pm

I hope so! I didn't need to adjust my moral scruples again. It's hard enough justifying my lavish lifestyle as it is. Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

A few shots from work.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3