HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Double-Chamber Pipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 pm

KevinM wrote:
I modify the P-Lip draft hole of all my Petes with a needle file.

I'm going to give this a try. My complaint about the P-lip is that it aims the smoke in the wrong direction, causing it to taste thin. I'm always fidgeting with the pipe to get it aimed more advantageously. Your approach sounds like the sort of change that has minimal downside even for the undexterous. Thanks.

P.S. Is that the Freeport that's just over the Pennsylvania line? I once lived East of Erie, in that little northern Pa. notch., and we used to make regular treks to a Freeport smoke shop -- no, no, I mean smoked white fish -- and the fare was the best I've ever had. Only problem was we'd consume a good bit of it on the way home. Like many good things, it's probably not there anymore.

Hi Kevin,

Definitely give the P-lip filing a try. There is little to loose and much to potentially gain for improving your smoking experience. Go conservative on the filing first. You can always open it up more.

No. Sorry. I'm from Freeport Long Island. I think there are a lot of Freeport's just like there are a lot of Springfield's.

---Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Hermit wrote:
I got mine this morning. I love this pipe.
It smokes great, definitely cool and dry.
When I cleaned it there was no moisture in the chamber.

Is that the official review? Very Happy

That's all ya get.

Ima concise kinda guy. (lazy, too) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:24 am

dougc905 wrote:
I'm a physics teacher. I love to gnaw on theory!

Don't have an acme pipe and I know I never will. I think it would be terribly damp and "gurgly".

Gurgling is caused by moisture accumulating at the tip of the tenon 99% of the time. You can check this out by doing the following:

Remove the stem from the shank and push a pipecleaner through the stem until only the tip of the cleaner sticks out on the tenon side. Bend the cleaner ond the bit side so that it can't go any further.

Smoke your pipe until it gurgles. Push said cleaner through stem without removing it from the shank. In 99% of the cases, the "gurgle" will be "removed".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 am

Quote :
If I am smoking a conventional pipe and I want to put it down and come back to it hours later, as I often do, I can just shove a cleaner in it and walk away. Itís not that simple with a Pete. You can put a cleaner down the stem, but not too far because the end will dip into the reservoir full of rank juice.
Assuming you're smoking a system pipe, pull the stem, & use either a q-tip or a rolled-up-&-folded-over kleenex to soak up the "rank juice" in the trap. Same as you'd do after you'd smoked the last of what was in the bowl.

No ?

What a Face
Back to top Go down
TheSmokeamater

Registration date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:55 am

Yak wrote:
Assuming you're smoking a system pipe, pull the stem, & use either a q-tip or a rolled-up-&-folded-over kleenex to soak up the "rank juice" in the trap. Same as you'd do after you'd smoked the last of what was in the bowl.

No ?

What a Face

Certainly. Yes. As I have done hundreds of times in many years. I was just complaining about how I have gotten too lazy over the years to fuss around that much with the Q-tips & paper towels etc.. involved in smoking a Pete.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy them in rotation, only I don't reach for them as often.

Its like cleaning up dog poop in the yard and scooping out the cat box. In the first few years of pet ownership you don't mind it at all. After 15+ plus years you get more than tired of it. Not that I would give up my babies for anything in the world, OR my Petes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am

SpeedyPete wrote:
dougc905 wrote:
I'm a physics teacher. I love to gnaw on theory!

Don't have an acme pipe and I know I never will. I think it would be terribly damp and "gurgly".

Gurgling is caused by moisture accumulating at the tip of the tenon 99% of the time. You can check this out by doing the following:

Remove the stem from the shank and push a pipecleaner through the stem until only the tip of the cleaner sticks out on the tenon side. Bend the cleaner ond the bit side so that it can't go any further.

Smoke your pipe until it gurgles. Push said cleaner through stem without removing it from the shank. In 99% of the cases, the "gurgle" will be "removed".

This.

Many variables (many, I'll repeat) contribute to dampness and "gurgliness." One major factor, if the smoker habitually smokes in a manner that, insert chamber/system pipe, will create the most moisture, even if such a problem is absent from a standard pipe. New smokers with varying "techniques" will more often than not intensify problems.

In my case, had I gotten a chamber/system pipe early on, I wouldn't have known the difference, either through ignorance, practice or never having a cool, dry smoke--but now that I have one, I have to learn a different way of approaching it.

If we all smoked exactly the same way, with identical tobacco (at identical moisture content), I'd hold to the a theory suggesting these ACME (or other chambered) pipes were purposefully designed wrong, but I can't do that. Blame the artist, not the brush.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Whatever happened to Acme pipes? He was turning some beautiful and interesting pipes. One of my favorites to window shop. When I think of artisanship in pipe making, he's one of the first to come to mind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
Whatever happened to Acme pipes?†
I've seen him and his pipes this year at the Gateway and CPPC Shows this years and I expect I will at the GKCPC Show in Sept. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Double-Chamber Pipes   Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 pm

daveinlax wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:
Whatever happened to Acme pipes?†
I've seen him and his pipes this year at the Gateway and CPPC Shows this years and I expect I will at the GKCPC Show in Sept. :shock:
Thanks. Great to hear he is still at it. I know he works in other formats. I'd hate to see him leave the pipe world.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Double-Chamber Pipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3