HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Someone please tell me why credit card companies prevent the sale of European tobaccos here in the US? Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoverPipes

Registration date : 2009-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 pm

The US Government doesn't like tobacco to come here untaxed. They bullied the credit card companies saying that they are protecting children from the evils of tobacco and the credit card companies can no longer facilitate tobacco purchases from overseas. It is all BS! They can't get their hands on extra revenue from overseas sales, so they ban them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Health_Insurance_Program_Reauthorization_Act_of_2009
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:08 am

When in the hell did I move to a dictatorship, and what the hell happened to the people in this country that they allow this crap?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PostSubject: Sales of European tobacco in the US   Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:30 am

Thanks for your reply...while I assumed this, I had hoped for a "better" reason...By in large, what tax money the government would collect on such sales wouldn't amount to much. Continuing to cripple an industry, and those of us who already pay high taxes on what we purchase here in the US, makes little sense to me.

I wish those in congress would spend their time solving "real" problems instead of of wasting time on such nonsense.

I know I'm "preaching to the choir" on this response...so I will continue to write and contact those in congress, and make sure they know what my position is. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 am

Quote :
what tax money the government would collect on such sales wouldn't amount to much. Continuing to cripple an industry, and those of us who already pay high taxes on what we purchase here in the US, makes little sense to me.

You're assuming that the government is, in some sense, all of us distilled down to a manageable size, and there to serve us. If it were, your observation would make sense.

But it's the other way around.

Once the wrong type of people get a taste of power, there is no such thing to them as "going too far" with it. What matters is the exhilaration of ruling over people.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:11 am

Welcome to the United Corporation of America Twisted Evil As Mr. Bertolt Brecht said: "...money makes the world go-round!". Welcome to the 21st century Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tiltjlp

Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:44 am

Keep in mind that there is nothing keeping Euopean tobacco companies from importing their products to the US, other than a lack of potential sales, real or perceived. Granted, the US govenrnment is making it rough on us to buy from overseas, but it's the tobacco companies who have decided not to import their product.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://corncobsandbriar.phpbb3now.com/
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???   Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:48 pm

tiltjlp wrote:
Keep in mind that there is nothing keeping Euopean tobacco companies from importing their products to the US, other than a lack of potential sales, real or perceived. Granted, the US govenrnment is making it rough on us to buy from overseas, but it's the tobacco companies who have decided not to import their product.

Truth there but it's probably more to do with the "fee structure" that CC firms use both for users AND retailers as well as the conversion fees from $ to Euros they get as well. Ther are getting to be more B&M retailers I've noticed ( not pipe/tobacco shops) who are begining to not take CCs, just cash only. As I said before, welcom to the 21st century Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PostSubject: Thanks for your contributions!   Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:18 pm

I appreciate your contributions...I also suspect that European tobacco companies and their distributors don't like the loss of that bloody VAT. Of course, as I said earlier, the amount of tax would be insigificant, in terms of sheer dollars/euros/pounds, etc.

What had peeked my interest, was my desire to purchase Condor Long Cut and a few other tobaccos, short of having to fly to europe on a tobacco buying trip. Yes, there are a few ways to buy it and have it mailed, the cost is rather dramatic though. For the time being, I have asked a friend to purchase and send me what I need.

What was so simple...becomes a bloody nightmare...

...a pipe is to be savored...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Preventing the sale of European tobaccos in the US???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1