HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Fountain Pens & Pipes...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:37 am

Everything worthwhile comes back around again.

Look at pipe smoking.

The world seems to be full of younger guys assuming that their appreciation of pipes, pens,
straight razor shaving, pocket knives, vinyl records, wind-up watches &c must be fluky.

Welcome to the zoo Laughing

What a Face

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:41 pm

With our disposable, right-now, drive-through society, rebellion is as simple as picking up something that requires skill, time, patience and practice to use. May it spread to other areas of our society. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:51 pm

If you want your handwritting to truly sing so to speak, try finding a Post War (1948 thru 1960) German fountain pen. They had soft nibs on them that were at times the rivals in putting down a varied line as did the old Watermans of the pre-war (WWI) eye-dropper era. Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Faber-Castell, Kaweko are a few of the makers you can find good working examples of , but as all of these are "collectables" today they will cost a bit more than your two gilded nib'd Watermans you are using . Keep it up! I've used a fountain pen since I was in elementary school. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm

The rejection of the Great Lie begins with little, symbolic choices . . .

What a Face
Back to top Go down
zjgilbert

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:
If you want your handwritting to truly sing so to speak, try finding a Post War (1948 thru 1960) German fountain pen. They had soft nibs on them that were at times the rivals in putting down a varied line as did the old Watermans of the pre-war (WWI) eye-dropper era. Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Faber-Castell, Kaweko are a few of the makers you can find good working examples of , but as all of these are "collectables" today they will cost a bit more than your two gilded nib'd Watermans you are using . Keep it up! I've used a fountain pen since I was in elementary school. Razz

How much would you suppose? I don't mind shelling out the cash when i have it, it's just a matter of is it economical at suh and such a point in time. I can add a new money pot. Savings pot, pipe pot, food pot, books pot, guns pot, and fountain pen pot lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccoreviews.com/reviewer_detail.cfm?UID=7802
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:06 am

zjgilbert wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

How much would you suppose? I don't mind shelling out the cash when i have it, it's just a matter of is it economical at suh and such a point in time. I can add a new money pot. Savings pot, pipe pot, food pot, books pot, guns pot, and fountain pen pot lol

In today's "collectable " world you'd probably be looking at $200.00+ for a good usable Post War German (WWII) fountain pen. I'm talking about a solid, does not leak, functioning solid gold nib'd pen that you can fill up from the bottle ( most of the pens from Germany from this time period were piston-fillers) and put to paper and put in your pocket and use daily. The Mont Blanc's will be more but the pens they made during this period were SUPERIOR to what they produce today! They even made "student grade" pens as did most of the German makers that had lovely flexible, smooth Steel nibs Razz Pelikan is another maker that made EXCELLENT pens and they go for a bit less than the M-Bs depending on the year of production. Take your time and do some research and you will do ok Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:50 am

I bought 2 TWSBI because I felt my handwriting was getting illegible to the point I could not read it myself, the TWSBI is a great pen for the value and quality to boot, with the cap on is on the heavy side though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:51 am

LV9 wrote:
I bought 2 TWSBI because I felt my handwriting was getting illegible to the point I could not read it myself, the TWSBI is a great pen for the value and quality to boot, with the cap on is on the heavy side though.

I've collected Fountain Pens for many years but have NEVER seen reference to a TWSBI before. Just what is it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:16 pm

It's a pen that was a combined designed from the members of the fountain pen network, the designer took most of the members ideas to make a fountain pen that was functional for everyday use.

links below:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/142173-twsbi-vacuum-filling-system-fountain-pen-project/

http://www.twsbi.com/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:48 pm

In order for me to view the link i have to b a member i think. What is special about these pens other than the price?
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 pm

I think I am into my 2nd year using this 1955 Pelikan 140 as a daily writer. Really a superb pen.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm really glad you posted that Carlos. I was just recently looking at one of those. It had some issues with it, but really like the way it looked, so I'll be sure to keep my eye out for another one that's in better shape!
Back to top Go down
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 pm

Carlos wrote:
I think I am into my 2nd year using this 1955 Pelikan 140 as a daily writer. Really a superb pen.

That is an absolutely beautiful pen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PeterD

PostSubject: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am

...I can certainly agree with Carlos...I have a Pelikan 400 in blue stripe and its been one of my favorites for 16 years... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LV9

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:21 pm

For me they are more practical, sturdier nib, all around everyday pen that won't break the bank.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:56 pm

The Pelikan 140 and 400 are two of probably the finest fountain pens made today. They also made the140 and 400 in a solid black and they do look really "spiffy" Razz The 400 has come in a wide variety of colors and stripings over the years. One of the nicest were the brown/tortoise colored striped models w/a dark brown cap and piston knob. You can't go wrong with either. I have 12 400's and 10 14o's in my collectiom and currently am using a 400N from 1953, a green stripe, w/ a nice soft 14k B nib. It puts down a nice varied thick/thin line when writting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:53 pm

Just picked this off ebay. It's a special edition Waterman did back in teh 90's featuring some of Da Vinci's artwork covering the pen. Not bad for $15!

Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:13 pm

I remember when those came out. They use cartridges but you can get a convertor for it so that you can use bottled ink. They also have a gilded nib similar to the nibs on your other two Watermans. Save your pennies up and get a Pelikan, there is a WORLD of difference in the writting and line put out by one of those solid gold German nibs !! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:36 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I remember when those came out. They use cartridges but you can get a convertor for it so that you can use bottled ink. They also have a gilded nib similar to the nibs on your other two Watermans. Save your pennies up and get a Pelikan, there is a WORLD of difference in the writting and line put out by one of those solid gold German nibs !! Razz

Yea I've got some change coming my way, and this was a pretty unique pen, so thought I'd pick it up since it was so cheap. I was also looking into one of those TWSBI pens. Ohhh so many that I want. First thing though, Pelikan Very Happy
Back to top Go down
woodsmansbriar

Registration date : 2012-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:04 pm

I personally own a TWSBI 540 "Diamond" I've used tons of vintage pens in my time as a young student, but I had to return those to my mother before going away for college. So I was given this little guy by my future mother in law.

Love it quite a bit. The plastic around the nib section actually cracked just yesterday, but the company is sending out a replacement ASAP.

Cannot wait to get her up and running again. Now I must buy a new ink to go with it to celebrate this....hrm...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zjgilbert

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Would you say the nib is decent enough quality? I'm planning on picking up a pelikan before i buy another, but would like to get an idea of the overall quality and smoothness of the pen before shelling out the cash.
Back to top Go down
woodsmansbriar

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:56 pm

zjgilbert wrote:
Would you say the nib is decent enough quality? I'm planning on picking up a pelikan before i buy another, but would like to get an idea of the overall quality and smoothness of the pen before shelling out the cash.

It's a steel nib. Mine is a Fine. It's /very/ smooth. If you go onto Fountain Pen Network (online forum, for fountain pen users, though i'm sure most of you know this) You'll find that the twsbi has a fantastic reputation there. It's in no way "just" a 50 dollar pen. It's fantastic quality, the nib is neither too wet nor too dry (though this is personally taste) and is very very smooth.

The pen is just a fantastic steal for 50 bucks in my mind.

The manufacturer has really done their work with this and the 530. All designed with input from the community to create for what most considers a fantastic pen.

I don't have a TWSBI Vac 700, so I cannot offer input on that one. But if you're considering the TWSBI 540, get it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:29 pm

If you get an old pen that needs work, there are those that rebuild them.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm

If you are after a Pel, Richard tricks out the nibs before sending the pen out. They are good out of the box, but the final tweaking makes a difference. I have a few.

http://richardspens.com/

No, he is not the only nibmeister, and he no longer takes in repairs, but he is damn good. The rest of the site is a great educational resource, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodsmansbriar

PostSubject: Re: Fountain Pens & Pipes...   Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Fazby wrote:
If you are after a Pel, Richard tricks out the nibs before sending the pen out. They are good out of the box, but the final tweaking makes a difference. I have a few.

http://richardspens.com/

No, he is not the only nibmeister, and he no longer takes in repairs, but he is damn good. The rest of the site is a great educational resource, too.

That's a sweet link, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Fountain Pens & Pipes...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: Pen & Parchment-
Jump to: