HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 am

...not much else to say. I like stuff like that, just my hills rollin' around and doin' what they like to do. Laughing

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/FaultMaps/120-39.html

Hopefully it's done, a 5.0+ and I'm gonna have to start tackin' stuff to the walls and move things off the shelf.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...not much else to say. I like stuff like that, just my hills rollin' around and doin' what they like to do. Laughing

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/FaultMaps/120-39.html

Hopefully it's done, a 5.0+ and I'm gonna have to start tackin' stuff to the walls and move things off the shelf.

As long as no tins get dented all should be fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 am

Nope, a pipe rack on top of a weird boom box I use for tape loops might eat sh*t, but I have nowhere to put it. Neutral Meh, pipes are tough.

I don't know where you hail, DnB, but folks in Sacramento were apparently feeling it pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
loneredtree

Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:14 am

Auburn must be on solid ground, or highly damped anyway, because we never feel a quake here. Have fun Kyle. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:24 am

I was looking at aerial maps of the area where the epicenter is, and my house is on two (unproven) major fault lines that directly intersect where I am. There's a lot more high-level granite and "shelf" on this side of the Sierras, and Auburn is on a pretty eroded side of the mountain range. My father, by contrast, lives in the foothills below Tahoe, and he never feels them either--probably for the same reason. The Truckee Meadows (Reno) is a small valley in a sink, and for some reason, a lot of the foothills (on either side) tend to dampen vibration. Yet if you're in the valley itself (Sacramento/central Reno) people seem to feel it more. There's probably some geologist that could say exactly why, I can't.

It was fun, though, a kind of upward "snap" was felt by me, followed by a very side-to-side motion... probably P Waves followed by Love Waves (serious term)...

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/waves.html

I love the earth and its powerful dynamics. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:36 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I love the earth and its powerful dynamics. Cool

I love reading about them; not so keen on experiencing them! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe   Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:00 pm

Maybe it's because I look at rocks and rock structure so much. If you think little shakers make you nervous, appreciate how calm everything is right now. This is a planet practically in a coma compare to the continuous volcanic episodes that have happened as recently as 5 - 10 million years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Had a pretty neat mag 4.2 earthquake north of Tahoe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1