HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

College

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks brother, as I type this I am sitting in my criminal justice class. I am going to Kaplan Online and they finally converted my military credit and I have 18 credits before any of the classes I am taking now. That bump is nice and will definitely cut out a little bit of time in my pursuit of a degree. I am certain that if you went for another Master's you would be successful,especially from out here brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:10 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
Not a single job so far have I needed college for, but looking at police they tend to start about 2k a year higher.

Kaiser on the Police Force. If you give him any crap, he have Sean call in an air strike on your house.

Speaking of which, if I give you guys the exact GPS Coordinates, think one of you guys could do me a favor? Twisted Evil
If it helps, I'll be using a Trimble GeoExplorer 2008 with 4-inch Realtime Accuracy, so you won't have to worry about collateral damage or missed targets. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Hmmm a man who knows his GPSr unit, do we now have geocaching in common as well Rob? I will be sure to at some point be a officer in MO so I can ticket you for....uh.....rear ending my cruiser....when I see a squirrel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
Hmmm a man who knows his GPSr unit, do we now have geocaching in common as well Rob?

Sure do, Brother! I usually take my Garmin E-Trex for Geocaching. My daughter is hooked, and usually has the GPS unit in her hands when we're out Geocaching.

Taking a Trimble unit would be a waste of time, since most of them are at least 10x more accurate (even before post-processing) than what the Geocache location was originally marked with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 pm

I have my Garmin 60CSX over here with me, I take it everywhere I go. Same username over there as here for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:28 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
I have my Garmin 60CSX over here with me

Cool! Did you load any extra maps on the MicroSD Card?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 pm

Heck no, those cost money and I am cheap unless it is PAD/TAD. I just load the coords and follow the arrow in a straight line, makes it interesting that way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

I am so pissed right now. I want to drop the stupid English class and just test out of it in the future, but because I am beyond 7 days of being in school there I am 100% responsible for the cost of the class if I stay in the school at all. The course is geared towards kids with talk of heroes with their special elixirs and potions, and it drives me up a flipping wall feeling like I am 12 years old. So, since apparently they do not change the class ever I can either tough it out (which will piss me off), drop the class (which I will have to pay for anyhow out of pocket), or drop the school as a whole (which is looking like the right direction for me). They give a 5 week period for new students to decide if the school is "right" for them or not and I am seriously thinking this is not the school for me. That said, do all colleges make you feel like a fricking kid with their teaching strategies?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
That said, do all colleges make you feel like a fricking kid with their teaching strategies?

To be honest, more and more the pressures are to teach 'skills' rather than information in the first two years, the same nonsense which has (IMO) devastated elementary/secondary education, and to create new courses which students will find 'interesting' even if the content is no more than that.

If I were 30 years younger, I would not want to become a college professor in the environment which is forming now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 pm

I have decided to drop Kaplan and go to another online school.

Okay so now I can't freaking drop them because other schools take WAY longer concerning the GI Bill. Grrr.... Evil or Very Mad Mad I hate KAPLAN

Last edited by kaiser83 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Higher Education Institutions Suck.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I wish you had the opportunity to attend classes in person at a brick and mortar Universtiy. I think you would appreciate the experience so much more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Sean68 wrote:
I wish you had the opportunity to attend classes in person at a brick and mortar Universtiy. I think you would appreciate the experience so much more.

Oh most definitely.

Headmaster-Monbla
Teacher-Blackhorse
Guidance Counselor-Yak
Dentention Attendant- Duke Nukem
Class Clown-Kyle Weiss
Cohort in all crimes- Rob
Teachers Pet-Only if we are in Catholic B&M
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: College   Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 pm

DrT999 wrote:

If I were 30 years younger, I would not want to become a college professor in the environment which is forming now.

Ugh...don't say that. I'm working toward a career fairly similar to your own (I think). Surely it's not all turning for the worse?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fungunner

Registration date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:47 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
Holy crap!!!! My English teacher can't form a sentence verbally without at least putting "um, k" or "uh" into the sentence at least 3 times. She is talking right now and it is absolutely driving me insane to listen to her talk. There is a chat box and I am restraining myself from typing UM into it about 50 freaking times. Someone please choke me NOW!!!

You just described my old English department. The upside is that most of the teachers that have shortcomings in public speaking are generally really tough on grammar, syntax, and punctuation. You should have mastered that in high school (not that many do in this day and age).

One tip for passing the Comp class. Give the teachers what they want. I use to code a lot of expository papers for my HVAC students for their general education classes. Time and time again, the grammar, syntax, and punctuation of a paper would be spot on, but the content was way off. If the teacher wants you to write a compare and contrast essay on Communist Manifesto verses The US Constitution, then that is the content you must write about whether you agree or not.

Welcome to higher education. Where the students are snowflakes and the teachers drink like fish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fungunner

Registration date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:52 pm

DrT999 wrote:
kaiser83 wrote:
That said, do all colleges make you feel like a fricking kid with their teaching strategies?

To be honest, more and more the pressures are to teach 'skills' rather than information in the first two years, the same nonsense which has (IMO) devastated elementary/secondary education, and to create new courses which students will find 'interesting' even if the content is no more than that.

I was there man, after years in trenches my reward was a swift kick in the butt on the way out the door. If you want a glimpse into the other side visit HERE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:49 pm

I have already expressed my disgust with the curriculum to the teacher, which was probably not the greatest idea for a great end game. I have also already made it known to admissions that she cannot form verbally form a sentence without the word "um". I am content knowing that my opinion has gone up on two different sides, although the thought that it will change anything is not in my mind. I got a review back from her that is has completely jacked up grammar which I find hilarious. I am waiting for class to start now and am counting the number of times she says "UM" unless I get too distracted over here. I have no doubts that me voicing my opinion on the curriculum will affect my grade in the class, but I have always said what I meant and dealt with the repercussions content in being true to myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:59 pm

117 "Um's" and I got booted part way through the class and had to log back in so that is probably a liberal number,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:24 am

Congrats on taking a step in a positive direction Kai.

IMO, it seems that advanced education today is similar to taxation. It's not so much about what you learn, or the grades you earn, but the money and the dues you paid along the way.

Invest the time, play their game, earn your grades as best you can. One day in the not so distant future, you will have paid your dues, and realize it wasn't about the grades you earned, but about the tuition that was collected.

That um English teacher is just a cog on the wheel. Lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks Dutch. Right now I am just trying to get every leg up I can when I eventually leave this job and start towards becoming a police officer. Not a 21 year old sniveling moron +1. Veteran +1 degree in criminal justice +1. I will talk all the +1's I can get my hands onto to make life easier going in and put myself up a couple more notches. Police work isn't even always steady in today's economy unless you have seniority. I'd rather just not play the game of getting in to get seniority for too long.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:20 pm

So I am acing my criminal justice class so far but I am the trouble maker in my English class. I keep calling her out on things she says that are incorrect and when I do she starts stuttering and back-peddling worse than a politician caught in a lie about the economy. She did catch my on retarded APA formatting, but in my defense none of the AP courses I took in high school were anything like APA so it is a way different shift from my standard. I think I will still manage to squeak by in the English class even with her apparently loathing my every comment lol. I at least cover my butt and come up with answers when everyone else is silent so she can't nail me to a cross without nailing the rest of the class up as well. I feel like a chimp flinging poo at the teacher, but she deserves it for not knowing how to speak darn it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 am

Thankfully there are several really good APA formatting guides on the internet, after two papers you will have it pretty well mastered.

Of course, as soon as you do, your next class will require MLA formatting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:44 am

Ain't (Kaiser, your teacher is probably very, very familiar with this word) that the troof...... Laughing

She probably gets her "her (hair) did" on a regular basis too...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 pm

Yep, you hit the nail on the head with that comment. She keeps pronouncing my name like I am from the hood, I am coming very close to calling her out on it during class, although her mistake in my race may be helping my grade...now if she just figured out the last name dictates my skin color I will be screwed lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Am I the only one who thinks, "your mom goes to college" when this thread shows a new post?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
kaiser83

PostSubject: Re: College   Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Uh....yes??? You could stop watching the topic and not be subject to the thought if you were so inclined. It is more a rant about the inadequacies of teachers at college now anyhow, and my disdain for their lack of public speaking ability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

College
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next