HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

One of the greatest weekends in a long time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Boulder&Briar

Registration date : 2012-07-04

PostSubject: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Well I had a really great weekend! So good I thought I'd share. Friday kind of sucked, but Saturday I went to the NASPC pipe and tobacco show in Columbus, Ohio and though I didn't get to set up a table I did take a few pipes to get some confirmation that I'm doing thing right. I have a couple that passed the test and even caught the interest of a couple of carvers that I have been inspired by. It was so cool to be able to meet Nate King and check out his steam punk pipes in person. WOW! Is all I can say about those. He is a true artists! Wayne Teipen was another great guy to talk to that was very accepting and shared a great wealth of knowledge with me. I also really had a great time talking with Scott Thile for quite some time, and he also shared a wealth of knowledge. Von Erck shared some knowledge about the quality of briar, and who to get top notch briar from, and the difference between Grecian briar, and Italian briar. All of the guys I talked to were very cool, and none of them had a chip on their shoulder. All of the people I met there were just all around good people, good conversation. Law Dog pipes out of South Carolina was the first table I went to. I immediately felt welcomed by this couple, and they asked to see my pipes. I was pretty nervous but after all that's what I wanted was to see how my pipes would do in a pipe maker / dealer environment. They really liked what they saw and let me know to relax and it's all good Smile just want to say thanks to all of those that I met, and I can't wait to see them in Chicago next year.
Sunday was another great day for me. I accomplished something I never thought I would be able to do. I competed in the Warrior Dash, 5k with 12 military style obstacles. I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years. I quite the death sticks on April 20th 2012 and started running and working out. My best friend told me that if I don't smoke and start running he would pay for the entry fee. He challanged me and that's all it took. I am so glad he did that. I feel so much better physically, and mentally now and wish I had never touched a cigarrette. I will never hold a cigarrette ever again. He's a little mad that I puff some Baccy now and then, and doesn't get that you don't inhale like a cigarrette. Smoking a pipe is completely different. It helps with many things. It helps anxiety and stress, and also inspires some creativity and seems to help you think more clearly and in a deep,calm, and detailed frame of mind. Either way, I did it, I rand the 5k and completed all 12 obstacles, and the proceeds help wounded soldiers. Win win win!
Sorry if I bored anyone, for once in a long time I'm just really proud of myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.boulderandbriar.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Sounds like a great weekend. You got to hang out with quality pipemakers and accomplish something huge. Good on ya brother! Kudos on the challenges!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend brother. There are tons of those challenges across the country you can do...Spartan Race, Touch Mudder, Warrior Dash, etc.) and they do look like one heck of a lot of fun. Put up some pics if you have them. Congrats on quitting cigarettes too, thats a big achievement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend B&B! Congrats on finishing the run. That must have felt great!!cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 am

Glad to hear of your weekend experiences. As you can see, there's nothing like a pipe show to meet some great people in our hobby. Congrats on the Warrior Dash, sounds like it was quite the challenge. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:31 am

Sounds like a great weekend to me. Congrats on the race. I'm glad you got to go to the show as well. I hope to get to some next year! I've never been.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:04 am

That's great news! When I went to my first pipe show Scott Thile took a lot of time to chat with me about my pipes as well. He's a great guy. Part of the reason this hobby is so awesome is because of all the great people. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com Online
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:24 am

B&B - absolutely no reason to think that you bored anyone.

That is a fantastic story! It's good to read about things like this. It inspires others to get more involved, take a chance, and accept challenges.

Congrats also on quitting the sticks.

Sounds like one heck of a weekend - one that anybody on here would love to have had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:59 am

Onward and Upward ! cheers

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm still all giddy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
Sounds like an awesome weekend brother. There are tons of those challenges across the country you can do...Spartan Race, Touch Mudder, Warrior Dash, etc.) and they do look like one heck of a lot of fun. Put up some pics if you have them. Congrats on quitting cigarettes too, thats a big achievement.

Yes brother it is a blast! And it all around is for many good cause. My friend that challenged me to do it actually was a heavy drinker, smoker, and well over weight. He had quit smoking 10 years ago, but continued the heavy drinking and was out of shape a bit and last year realized he needed to make some changes. We started lifting weights and dieting. He went from 245 down to 190 and I went from 225 down to 170. Unfortunately I was still smoking Embarassed and when I quite smoking I almost immediately put on 15 lbs. and am still trying to get rid of that. But he ended up doing tough mudder which is 12 miles with 27 british military obstacles and he completed all 27 obstacles and did the 12 miles. I couldn't believe he did it, but I got to see the proof. He told me its all in your head. you can do what you set forth to do if you condition yourself mentally and physically. And then he challenged me. I did it, and now I'm hooked. I plan to continue training and eating properly, and definitely will be doing the Warrior Dash and trying to destroy this years time. I may even grow a set and do the Tough Mudder! Laughing

Last edited by Boulder&Briar on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boulder&Briar

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm the guy with the cup of water, and this is the group of guys and their kids I did this with, and my best friend that challenged me to do this is standing behind me to the left. I should have some photos of myself doing the obstacles by the end of the week.

Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:40 pm

This is not a boring thread. I have always liked these warrior/mudder events, they get my imagination going, and if it weren't for my screwed-up back (which is really screwed up since birth, working at UPS for four years didn't help...) I'd be joining a few buddies to do it myself. I think the camaraderie, teamwork and just getting out there for the hell of it is awesome. Very character-building and positively inspiring in a vapid word. Smile

Congrats on your two interests, worlds apart, the gentle one of pipe smoking and the physical of the obstacle course. You're a well-rounded gent. Good on ya. Glad you had fun, and congrats! You deserve to feel proud of yourself.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder&Briar

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks Kyle!
And yes they are worlds apart, yet both events had some of the most awesome people to meet that not only were also great well rounded folks but very inspiring and supportive people. I've already signed up for the Warrior Dash 2013 and will be registering for the Chicago pipe and tobacco show as soon I can.

cheers
Back to top Go down
williamcharles

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 am

Good for you and congratulations!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 am

cool stuff, and please post up pics for us of your pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: One of the greatest weekends in a long time   Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:51 am

Good on you mate, sounds like you had a blast for a good cause!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

One of the greatest weekends in a long time
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1