HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Norton Motorcycles has issued a press release noting another milestone in effort to return to the States: it has successfully completed durability and emissions testing for its Commando 961 Cafe Racer (pictured), 961 Sport and 961 SE bikes. Now the niche English motorcycle firm needs to submit and receive approvals for safety and compliance documentation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, as well as complete other paperwork protocols for the Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board. Then it can submit individual requests to each state, and assuming all of that goes well, it can start shipping its modern retro wares here.

That doesn't, however, mean you can expect to own a Norton as soon as the mountain of paperwork has been scaled. If an article called "Nortongate" on the motorcycle site Hell for Leather is to be believed, Norton is now very poorly run, citing a woeful record of failing to deliver bikes not to mention properly engineering it 961 line. Thus, U.S. approvals might not mean much. Using public access documents and speaking to numerous customers and people that have worked for and done business with Norton all the way up to August of this year, the story makes it seem much more reasonable to take one's chances with a vintage Norton rather than the new ones ostensibly on the way.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/08/29/norton-commando-one-step-closer-to-the-states-hopefully/[img
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 am

It is a shame that Norton is such an administrative mess because that bike is smoking!!!!!

Thanks for posting that Dutch. I sold my bike many years ago (BIG MISTAKE) and fell off following the world of motocycles. Maybe I need to start paying more attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:12 am

Mo, as you probably already know, a lot of old school bikers always preferred the Nortons and Triumphs back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, because Harleys were notorious for breaking down. It made a lot of bikers hesitant to ride very far from home on a Harley.

Btw, your girls are absolutely adorable. Very cool pic!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:20 am

Back in the day, the Norton was one of the hottest bikes on the road - performance wise!

While I can't say for sure, I'd bet good money that this new version would be a hell of a runner too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Dutch wrote:
Mo, as you probably already know, a lot of old school bikers always preferred the Nortons and Triumphs back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, because Harleys were notorious for breaking down. It made a lot of bikers hesitant to ride very far from home on a Harley.

Btw, your girls are absolutely adorable. Very cool pic!

I did know that Norton and Triumph are older companies, but I did not know they benefitted from Harley's poor production in the 70's. I appreciate the older designs (with new technology). I love Triumphs as well. Now if Indian can get thier act straight...that would be something to see.

Thank you for the comment about my girls. That picture was taken about 15 years ago. Here's what they look like now (they are flip-flopped):

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Mo, I'm sure there are times when you wanted to carry a very big stick! geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:51 pm

Everyday!!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Such beautiful motorcycles - they've done a great job of capturing the old look - that's my first impression.

Sadly, the second impression that popped into my twisted brain is the image of one of those going down on Mulholland Drive (ouch!). After they reach the US its only a matter of time before we see that on Youtube.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 am

The new Norton saga has been a mess for 4-5 years now. It's too bad Triumph didn't buy that brand and work their magic. Can you imagine going into a shop and seeing new Triumphs and Nortons? My first motorcycle ride was on the back of an 850 Commando circa 1973.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mozjo33

PostSubject: Re: Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?   Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Although Triumph doesn't own Norton, they have the same design idea. The Triumph Thruxton:

Although it's not a classic design, this is one of my all time Triumph favorites - Speed Triple

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sean68

Registration date : 2012-06-21

PostSubject: Triumph!   Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 am

Gentlemen, I currently own a 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. By far the most fun on two wheels I have ever had. And I have owned an Aprilia RSV Mille! I love my Triumph. It is not my first, and it will not be my last. I do plan to keep this one forever.

Currently I am in need of a motorcycle that will accomodate my girls (my wife and my daughter). The Speed Triple does not accomodate a passenger at all. I am considering a Harley, but am actually leaning towards a Triumph Rocket III Touring.

THEN, my good sirs, I will be free to look for my irrational toy, a cafe racer. I have been watching the Norton saga play out. Not only is the company stumbling, but the price of the motorcycles is prohibitive. A good Triumph Thruxton or Ducati GT1000 will do quite nicely, thank you.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Norton Commando coming to the U.S.?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1