HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 pm

DC sent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:10 pm

I hope the Gerb gets his stuff soon. This has been a pretty chaotic mission. I love how Grossbart talked himself out of thinking that he was a target. That's better than that guy in July who left town and went offline just before the bombs started falling. Razz Half the fun of this is finding out who the second target is, and with three targets this time, plus The Shad running interference, it's been a suspenseful run. Scotty, Dreadgerbil, and Grossbart: congratulations! You all earned it.

p.s. I know what Arlen (Dread Gerbil) looks like, but this is how I picture him:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm

BH: On the one hand, I had to delete the message to you. On the other hand, I have a very messy desk, so PM with the DC sent to DG Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Dreadgerbil

Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:39 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I hope the Gerb gets his stuff soon. This has been a pretty chaotic mission. I love how Grossbart talked himself out of thinking that he was a target. That's better than that guy in July who left town and went offline just before the bombs started falling. Razz Half the fun of this is finding out who the second target is, and with three targets this time, plus The Shad running interference, it's been a suspenseful run. Scotty, Dreadgerbil, and Grossbart: congratulations! You all earned it.

p.s. I know what Arlen (Dread Gerbil) looks like, but this is how I picture him:

LMAO! That is awesome! He just needs a Kilt and Pipe.

Thanks for all the help on this, you guys. My local USPS are looking into it. Worst case scenario, so git stole two packages from in front of my house before I could get to them. In that case I just want to make sure the guys who so kindly sent gifts out to me get compensated for it. I got lots of awesome stuff from this bombing raid and my cup definitely overflows. But, if it turns out they were stolen, it makes me furious that two people doing a good deed lost out because some idiot thought he could grab some boxes and maybe pawn what was inside. Seriously.

Hopefully USPS will get back to me and say 'Hey, sorry, they were in the back of the van.'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:25 pm

If you somehow can show that they were no DELIVERED then there should be compensation due. If they claim that they WERE delivered and that after that point they went missing...it might be pretty tough. It would seem that if other packages were delivered at the same time and you got them, that it might be a point in your favor. Don't know the regs real well, but I'm guessing we'll find out.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Hm, this is a bit of a sour twist in the tale. I hope they find the missing packages, if not they should know they face the wrath of militant pipe smokers everywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Well, I just got word back from USPS. It definitely appears as though two of the packages were stolen. I try to be a kind person and assume that maybe the person was absolutely broke, desperate for money and hoping to pawn something just to get by. At the same time, though, I can't help but think once they opened the packages they would just discretely drop them off at my house because it's of no value to them.
I guess that's not the case.

Guys, if you can get a bigger mailbox that'll fit more than one package, do it! No

I'm sorry to the kind folk here who sent out gifts and lost out because of this. Let's not let it ruin the wonderful spirit and fun of these bombings!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Check with your neighbors. It's possible they might have seeen something or even picked up the boxes for you, knowing they would be taken. It seems to me that the USPS just setting the boxes out on the street by a mailbox is just asking someone to do a 'drive by looting'! My guys ALWAYS bring a package that won't fit (and there are lots) to the front door and ring the bell then leave the stuff on the porch. Leaning stuff on the street just seems crazy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Well this just stinks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Dreadgerbil wrote:
Well, I just got word back from USPS. It definitely appears as though two of the packages were stolen. I try to be a kind person and assume that maybe the person was absolutely broke, desperate for money and hoping to pawn something just to get by. At the same time, though, I can't help but think once they opened the packages they would just discretely drop them off at my house because it's of no value to them.
I guess that's not the case.

Guys, if you can get a bigger mailbox that'll fit more than one package, do it! No

I'm sorry to the kind folk here who sent out gifts and lost out because of this. Let's not let it ruin the wonderful spirit and fun of these bombings!

Man, that sucks more than a weasel sucks eggs (read: a whole helluva lot). As you say, though, best not to let it dampen the spirit of things, and who knows, the contents of those bombs may yet effect a positive change on the thief--someday a repentant convert to the briar may appear on your step, cap in hand, apology on lip, and replacement bomb in hand. Maybe not, of course, but never underestimate the inherent power for positive change found in tobacco!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:43 pm

That just seems weird. Was it that they were the only two that didn't fit in your mailbox? If I was going to steal, I'd take as much as I could seeing as it wouldn't likely affect the punishment if I got caught, so to me it seems odd that only two were taken. Ah well, its a sad state of affairs, but at least most got through to their intended target.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 pm

A call for VOLUNTEERS - for a secret mission!

I know that Mr. Gerbil has stated his opinion that he's awed and thrilled at the load of bombs that literally blew his digs to shreds (he's not living in the bunker I hear) and that's well and good. And I know that the guys that sent the two MIA bombs had planned on taking steps to replace, so much as possible, the lost items. But given the extraordinary circumstances surrounding the 'booty loss' (snicker) I'm going to make a proposal.

In a show of the practice of taking care of our own, I dop't believe that the bros that had their boxes snatched should bear the weight of the loss alone. And I don't believe that it's right that what they intended, from the bottom of their pea pickin' hearts, to make it's way into the hands of a deserving brother...is lost to some crack head neighbor kid, or a drive by looter.

So I'm going to volunteer myself (since I wouldn't ask you to do something that I wasn't willing and eager to do) and call for five additional volunteers...to take one item from their from their stash and send it to the furry little fella...first five to PM me get the privilage. And I would also say that this should come from senior brothers here, but anyone can apply...just so long as we're not depleting someone's stash that has little to spare, or placeing a burden of additional postage on someone that can ill afford to cover that cost.

I know that each and every one of you guys (and you, biscuit lady) would gladly join in...but I'm asking for only five volunteers to step up and make it happen. By the way, targets for this round will not be allowed to participate...you're on the 'receiving' end this time around and that's the way it'll stay.

In addition, this will be a secret mission. The names of those sending out the packages will not be made public, so that this won't be a baby kissing contest (well, it's an election year). This is only fair as I'll likely get the five pretty quickly and if someone isn't watching closely or right there by their computer, they shouldn't have other guys thinking they might not have asked to help.

And the two of you that send the original packages? You can send something too, but again, only one item. There's NO logic in expecting you to make up for some damn thief...though I know you would. And the two international guys are out as well.

So the Volunteeer Board is now open for sign-ups. Again, let's make this happen. I'll be back here tomorrow with news on what happened overnight, etc.

PS: re: the election thing...I've got the TV on right now, watching the debates...and it's amazing how much more interesting they are with the volume turned off. Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
A call for VOLUNTEERS - for a secret mission!

PS: re: the election thing...I've got the TV on right now, watching the debates...and it's amazing how much more interesting they are with the volume turned off. Laughing

When they ask what led to my alcohol poisoning, you can just show them this:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:12 am

Secret Mission FULL - This is done folks - WAY TO GO!

In an expected and gratifying burst of speed and characteristic generosity the BoB Bombers have come through with 'flying colors'. Overnight, whilst I slept the sleep of the just, pilots were busily signing up as vollunteers for the Special Secret Mission, which wasn't very secret after all I guess.

I have my 5 volunteers. Easy as pie. (well, frozen pie that is)

Orders have been cut and sent out to those brave souls whose mini-bombs will just ensure that the embers of the Idaho target past home are re-kindled.

Many thanks all...OH! And remember, just because the target is from Scotland doesn't mean that he wants something CHEAP! Send one nice item and his larder will be gratefull.

And don't send him a sprurdle.

TTFN

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:56 am

Good God, that filled up quick!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah...see?!? Ya snooze, ya lose. And that means even just goin' to bed like normal.

But I feel kind of bad...having blurted out that thing about the sprurdle. Makes me a spurdle blurter. And I never really wanted to be a spurdle blurter. If he wants one, I could make a pretty cool one for him. Likely do the stirring part in either Walnut, Cherry or Ginko wood, with and handle out of something like Black Walnut or perhaps Osage Orange, which would be rather pretty.

But if he wants the spurdle, he'll have to let me know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:26 pm

LMAO. I honestly don't know what to say either about the incredible kindness and generosity of folks on here or about the wonderful absurdity of the conversation.

Firstly, I could use a spurtle. I actually eat porage almost every day in autumn and winter but I have to use a wooden spoon to make it. I kept saying I was going to make a spurtle at some point but it always seemed like I needed to go to work instead. Darn work.

Secondly, you guys are awesome. Seriously, what amazing people! I'm making you all a present!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 pm

OK - this is extra cool!

So how deep is the pot (of whatever) in which you make your porage? (porridge ?)

If you make it in a regular saucepan, I'm assuming that the spurdle should be about twice the height to the thing.

OK - I'll check the wood bin and see what I've got to work with. This won't be turned on a lathe, by the way, as I don't have one. Lathes are VERY dangerous, as they get you interested in all sorts of new tools and things and suck your time away from actually MAKING anhything, just playing with it as a tool and all. lol So it'll be hand carved. :ossibly a thistle handle on it.

So my seat on this little Secret Mission Adventure is up for grabs...I'll take one additional Mission Volunteer!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 pm

Dreadgerbil wrote:
LMAO. I honestly don't know what to say either about the incredible kindness and generosity of folks on here or about the wonderful absurdity of the conversation.

Firstly, I could use a spurtle. I actually eat porage almost every day in autumn and winter but I have to use a wooden spoon to make it. I kept saying I was going to make a spurtle at some point but it always seemed like I needed to go to work instead. Darn work.

Secondly, you guys are awesome. Seriously, what amazing people! I'm making you all a present!!!!

Okay, being somewhat of a foodie I have to ask a few questions here especially given the source.

What are the advantages in using a spurtle to make porridge over say a wooden spoon? My understanding is that a spurtle is more stick like rather than spoon like, i that correct? Also what grain/grains do you use to make your porridge? Oats maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:59 pm

BH, it's just a small saucepan from a standard sized set of three. (Small, medium and large.) The spoon I normally use is like... maybe 10 inches at most?

As a woodworker myself I know the danger of fancy tools. I have a friend who has a very large lathe and makes huge walking sticks with intricate carving. I could never be trusted with such a thing. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dreadgerbil

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:03 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Dreadgerbil wrote:

Okay, being somewhat of a foodie I have to ask a few questions here especially given the source.

What are the advantages in using a spurtle to make porridge over say a wooden spoon? My understanding is that a spurtle is more stick like rather than spoon like, i that correct? Also what grain/grains do you use to make your porridge? Oats maybe?

There's no real proof but it's generally considered that you can get a smoother mix by using a spurtle because you're using a stick to move through the porage rather than a spoon which moves clumps of it around. I'd say it seems to be true in my experience.
As far as what I use, for my own porage I use rolled oats cooked in a little milk and water with chopped apples or jam added to it and mixed in during cooking. (Sometimes I add ground nuts if I am feeling rich and fancy.)

For my wife, she likes her porage made of pinhead oats cooked on whole milk or cream with a little brown sugar.

Whatever kind of oats I am using, I toast them in a cast iron skillet beforehand to give the porage more body and flavour.

My dad, on the other hand, likes plain rolled oats with milk and salt for his porage.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm

I just can't stop chuckling at the term "wood spurtle" it just sounds so dirty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Now there's a tangent I didn't see coming. scratch
I've actually got a spurtle I haven't used since I learned the overnight slow-cooker trick. I was about to go find it when I read BH's reply. Now I want to see what he comes up with!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:31 pm

kaiser83 wrote:
I just can't stop chuckling at the term "wood spurtle" it just sounds so dirty.

They actually give an award for porridge called "The Golden Spurtle"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!   Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:33 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Now there's a tangent I didn't see coming. scratch
I've actually got a spurtle I haven't used since I learned the overnight slow-cooker trick. I was about to go find it when I read BH's reply. Now I want to see what he comes up with!

You're not making it any easier for me George. Must get my mind out of gutter, but I can't when I was just looking at your censored picture from another thread. Oh God "The Golden Spurtle" Laughing cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

And the bombs will FALL! The September Bob Bomber Mission!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next