HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Anthonyx2b

Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Its basically a show of "what the f***?" Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Anthonyx2b@gmail.com
Dreadgerbil

Registration date : 2012-01-05

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 pm

You know, we watch tv but it's so rarely that it's covered in dusty between viewings. We de the computer to watch bbc stuff I miss but mostly we're readers and Bbc radio 4 / NPR listeners. When my little sister in law has loud daytime tv on it's kind of overwhelming. I think what bothers me about the trash tv phenomenon is that those people who watch it ironically are giving it all the money and ratings it needs while allowing basic literacy to decline.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kieveryuu

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:33 am

scotties22 wrote:
They made fun of Honey Boo Boo and her mom on South Park last week. The episode was all about how "the bar" has been lowered so far that this is now entertainment. James Cameron comes in and saves the day in the Deep Sea Challenger...."the bar" was in the Challenger Deep.....good stuff.

This was a particularly good episode of South Park. Not just about the OP question but culture in general.

Dreadgerbil, you make an excellent point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://type29a.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57536892/conor-knighton-on-tvs-obsession-with-rednecks/

Quote :
Comedian Jeff Foxworthy had that famous routine about how to tell if you're a "redneck."

"If you've ever taken a beer to a job interview, you might be a redneck. If you can burp and say your name at the same time ..."

Well, these days, there's an easier way to tell:

If a cable television network is profiting by showing how backwards you and your family are, you might be a redneck.

For some reason, cable channels have become obsessed with "rednecks" - typically, lower-middle-class white Southerners.

The last few years have brought us "Redneck Rehab," "My Big Redneck Wedding," "Rocket City Rednecks," "Hillbilly Handfishin'," "Swamp People," "Redneck Island," "Duck Dynasty," "Bayou Billionaires," "Moonshiners," "Lady Hoggers" ... the list goes on and on.

This summer's breakout hit, "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," featured a family in rural Georgia. TLC filmed them bobbing for pigs feet at the Redneck Games and passing gas on camera. The family members, who speaks English, are subtitled. And while they're always the butt of the joke, they seem to embrace the attention, even coining catch phrases ("You better REDNECK-ognize!").

It's hard not to see these shows as trafficking in a bit of "redneck-sploitation."

As someone who grew up south of the Mason Dixon line, it all makes me a little uncomfortable.

On one hand, I do know people like the stars of "Hillbilly Handfishin'," and I do think it's interesting to see them represented on TV.

But most of the people I know aren't ANYTHING like that, and I worry that the recent explosion of these types of shows perpetuates outdated stereotypes.

And I'm not the only one.

My home state of West Virginia denied a tax credit to MTV's upcoming series "Buck Wild," fearing that the show would portray West Virginians in a stereotypical, "derogatory manner."

I understand their concern. Based on cable's other offerings, they may have "redneck-ognized" a trend.

Yea, we ain't at all like that! Laughing

BTW, I can proudly say, I have never seen ANY of the shows mentioned in this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:08 pm

Simple Man wrote:

Yup, you just watch out of the window.....

Sorry!!! lol! Couldn't resist! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Good one, Beet!
Heck! I've never even heard of most of those shows!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?   Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:29 pm

beetlejazz wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

Yup, you just watch out of the window.....

Sorry!!! lol! Couldn't resist! Embarassed

No, seriously! It gets pretty scary sometimes! lol!

"Paddle faster, boys. I think I hear banjo music!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What on earth is... Honey boo boo child?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3