HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
awoodby

Registration date : 2012-09-13

PostSubject: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:26 pm

Greetings ye brothers of briar!

Um yah, enough of that. I've smoked pipes before but not in a couple of decades and not too much then. I'm also getting off the cancer sticks in the process.

I tend to jump in with both feet and have a half dozen pipes and tobaccos thus far, as well as bags, tools etc. Thus far my favorite pipe is my bent falcon, really like the cool smoke and easy draw, as well as light weight.

Tobacco-wise, loving habana daydream (some cigar leaf adds depth) and the dunhill um... maybe golden ash?. The Dunhill has plenty of Nicotine to supplant cigarettes in my habits, which is good too.

NOW... there are what, 500 different pipe tobaccos, no idea where to start!!!

--alex
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Well, once I dug my pipes out after a 15 year hiatus and found I no longer liked Captain Black, I've jumped in and ordered all over the place. Just starting to get sorted 18 months or so after the restart. So, have fun, and welcome to the forums!

"T"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
chris

Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Welcome to BoB

Nothing wrong with jumping in with both feet. I know I did when I returned to pipes and I still have not stopped. Very Happy

You will get plenty of info here - it is a great forum and I learnt a great deal from reading the posts here.

Have a great time - enjoy your pipes - and good luck with getting off the cigarettes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Welcome! I'm curious to hear your observations on the hobby/passion 20 years down the road. There certainly is a bewildering array of blends available to us these days. Did you get rid of your pipes, or are you still able to enjoy some 20 year old briar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:06 pm

I as well took a long hiatus from pipe smoking and just smoked cigars. In that period of time all the local smoke shops in the area where I grew up closed their doors, yet somehow there was a massive explosion in pipe tobacco variety. The internet sure does bring everything a little closer. Very Happy

Anyway, Welcome aboard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
awoodby

PostSubject: pipe shops and tobacco blends   Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:40 pm

When I smoked 20 years ago, there was a local pipe shop, I think 4 actually, in the smallish city I lived near, now there are waay less pipe shops in Michigan, which is truly a bummer.

I'm left with reading reviews and guesswork. Either I'm not picky or i'm getting lucky, but I'm liking everything I'm ordering so far!

Used to be, the pipe shop had maybe 20, 40 blends you could smell and try. Now, you have what, 400, but have to order online. Hrm. Expensive to try them all for sure, but I'm liking most I've tried.

There are dozens of big cigar shops around, but only one of them has pipe tobacco, and all they have are cherry, captain black blends and maybe 2 others.

Anyone aware of a place I can order a small sampler of the base tobaccos? Like a little perique, virginia, latakia, burley and the other main players. I keep thinking reading a description of a blend would work better if I knew what the heck the individual partners actually WERE lol

And no, by the time I stopped before, it was partly because I'd broken the stem on my last pipe. Pipes were expensive or crappy too, and no real ebay to get used pipes (and I was much poorer).

glad to be here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Please come back often and join in.

DrT999 wrote:
Well, once I dug my pipes out after a 15 year hiatus and found I no longer liked Captain Black

"T"
Dr. T - how could you say such a thing? Shocked
No longer liked Captain Black? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Welcome to the Brotherhood!

Please come back often and join in.

DrT999 wrote:
Well, once I dug my pipes out after a 15 year hiatus and found I no longer liked Captain Black

"T"
Dr. T - how could you say such a thing? Shocked
No longer liked Captain Black? Razz

Sad but true -- probably 2/3 of my pipe smoking 1976-1996 was CBW, with another 20% Gold, Royal, or large drugstore bags of imitation CB. They all left me flat upon my return

Of course, in 1976, I drank Riunite and Genny Cream Ale Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
awoodby

PostSubject: got latest order   Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:15 pm

Got my latest order of tobacco, like a dozen new ones. Thus far I'm a kid in a candystore, loving everything.

I'll try and post in the right place impressions when I get the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ejames

Registration date : 2012-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Welcome to BOB Alex!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ozarksouthpawpipes.com/index.html
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi there awoodby, and welcome to the BoB. Don't be worried by the vast choice we have, navigating around the brands with a spirit of discovery is part of the fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boulder

Registration date : 2011-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus   Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:02 pm

Hello and Welcome to the BoB forum. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Newly returned to pipes after 20yr haitus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1