HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dock
BoB's Team
avatar

Age : 105
Location : @ The Gym
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I can remember talking with friend and bookseller Ben Rappaport a few years back. He was saying that folks were no longer actively purchasing his pipe/tobacco/cigar related books. "They want the wood, not the word now." he said.

When I myself was an up and coming collector in the late 90's I visited fellow Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club members houses that were literaly LOADED with pipe/tobacco advertising items and artwork. I drolled over Dunhill jars, rare promotional items, framed prints and rare books. To me, the pipes were fine but the hard to get collectibles were just superb.

The pipe hobby as a collectible category got it's unoffical start at a pipe show in St.Louis I believe around 1978. The first real collectors actively bought up Dunhills, Charatans and GBD's with the occasional Savinelli Autograph showing up as the artisian pipe market in the US was nonexistant. Those in Europe like Castello and S.Bang weren't well known as their pipes were only brought in in small numbers via the black market. Many of these pipe pioneers were active collectors of catalogs, jars and retail store display items. They felt that these items truly added to their pipe collections and they filled their smoking rooms with stuff bought at the major pipe shows of the time as it was pre e-bay.

It seems that the new and young generation of pipe hobbyists could really care less about anything except the pipes and tobacco themselves. This, of course is my own feeling and I would love to hear others opinions. I hope I'm wrong as acquiring old signs, vintage tins and long out of print tobacco books is rewarding, challenging and fun....



Last edited by Dock on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
avatar

Age : 45
Location : Olympia, WA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey Dock!

To me it's purely financially motivated. The money I chose to spend on the hobby go to pipes and tobacco. For information I turn to the web. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably have a smoking room full of the stuff but that's not the case. So maybe it's just a sign of the finances of most.

_________________
Jason

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
kaiser83

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Wherever the smoke clears
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:41 pm

I'm slowly buying tobacco related books, antique tobacco jars, tin tobacco signs, and just generally anything else I find quirky and cool. I have a few of the Disney pipes, including one of the Davey Crockett whistle pipes made of wood, I just think the Disney pipes are too cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBrad



Age : 41
Location : Central PA
Registration date : 2012-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:17 pm

I am totally uninterested in collecting anything exept ammo by the case Smile . I really am uninterested in having to move stuff to get to other stuff and dust all of it. I have an appreciation for it, just not a desire to own it. I see that kind of stuff here in Appalachia often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
christeaux

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Cherrypoint
Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm

I love collecting tobacciana, before I started with pipes I collected the old camel advertisements with Joe Cool as well as some older advertising items from different tobacco companies. This was easy for me because my grandfather worked as a tobacco and food salesman. He also collected many things over the years, and he is the reason that I began to collect different things. When I started smoking a pipe I had more books on smoking than I did pipes. So far my collection includes, Pipesmoking A 21st Century Guide , Rare Smoke, and How to Take Care of Your Pipe by the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco company. I want to find the remaining books by Richard Hacker, but before I buy those I am looking for Tobacco in Song and Story, Pipe and Pouch, and About Smoke the Christmas edition. I want to collect many different types of tobacciana especially advertisement pieces, however I have to wait for tax time. But collections are not built overnight and waiting is half the fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Wherever the smoke clears
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Pipe and Pouch is one I really want. I have been watching a first edition for some time now on ePrey but every time I remember the darn book I have already killed my paycheck on PAD/TAD and bills. Next payday that book is so mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man



Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm

I used to be a collector of everything, a few years ago I became claustrophobic on account of too much clutter in my 1200 sq ft house. So now I've eliminated so much stuff that I feel I can breathe easier. I still like all of that stuff, but in other peoples houses. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team
avatar

Age : 105
Location : @ The Gym
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 pm

christeaux wrote:
I love collecting tobacciana, before I started with pipes I collected the old camel advertisements with Joe Cool as well as some older advertising items from different tobacco companies. This was easy for me because my grandfather worked as a tobacco and food salesman. He also collected many things over the years, and he is the reason that I began to collect different things. When I started smoking a pipe I had more books on smoking than I did pipes. So far my collection includes, Pipesmoking A 21st Century Guide , Rare Smoke, and How to Take Care of Your Pipe by the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco company. I want to find the remaining books by Richard Hacker, but before I buy those I am looking for Tobacco in Song and Story, Pipe and Pouch, and About Smoke the Christmas edition. I want to collect many different types of tobacciana especially advertisement pieces, however I have to wait for tax time. But collections are not built overnight and waiting is half the fun.

This four vol set by the late John Loring is one of the rarest of rare. I've seen it for sale just three times in my life. I was able to buy it the third time Laughing

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/duncat.html

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
christeaux

avatar

Age : 26
Location : Cherrypoint
Registration date : 2011-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Dock wrote:
christeaux wrote:
I love collecting tobacciana, before I started with pipes I collected the old camel advertisements with Joe Cool as well as some older advertising items from different tobacco companies. This was easy for me because my grandfather worked as a tobacco and food salesman. He also collected many things over the years, and he is the reason that I began to collect different things. When I started smoking a pipe I had more books on smoking than I did pipes. So far my collection includes, Pipesmoking A 21st Century Guide , Rare Smoke, and How to Take Care of Your Pipe by the Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco company. I want to find the remaining books by Richard Hacker, but before I buy those I am looking for Tobacco in Song and Story, Pipe and Pouch, and About Smoke the Christmas edition. I want to collect many different types of tobacciana especially advertisement pieces, however I have to wait for tax time. But collections are not built overnight and waiting is half the fun.

This four vol set by the late John Loring is one of the rarest of rare. I've seen it for sale just three times in my life. I was able to buy it the third time Laughing

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/duncat.html

Thank you for the information, I am going to keep an eye out, and buy it piece by piece over time if I can find them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 pm

My reason is simple. I have heaps of books. I've given away heaps of books. I don't have space for more books or tobacciana. I see tins, jars, signs, statues, dancing monkeys smoking pipes, and think to myself, that would be a fine addition to a man cave.

Someone else's man cave. I share this small house with three females. Two of which take up most of the space. My wife and I just live here. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
winterland

avatar

Location : Minneapolis
Registration date : 2012-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:06 pm

I think it is great you collect the fine items. I would, like others have said, if I had a place to put it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:30 am

Dock, lately I have been considering starting a vintage collectable tobacciania thread. I have a few items that I am excited about. I also enjoy collecting vintage liquor decanters and flasks. Some of the glass and sterling silver flasks made around the turn of the century are bringing $500 to $1000 now.

We should start a new ongoing thread, so that folks can show off their pieces. It would be educational and informative. study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:57 pm

I think there's a resounding correction to your notion, Dock, that the briar brats ain't buyin' up the cool stuff from yesteryear. Laughing I'll join them--I'd buy the stuff, but I hardly ever see it. I don't go crawling on eBay, typically, I'm like you, I dig flea markets, junk stores, pawn shops, garage sales and thrift stores. The problem is two: 1) used "crap" is "vintage" and therefore more expensive, perhaps "antique" 2) this economy has caused people to scrounge deeper than even ten years ago, and there's simply less "crap" to be had as cheap treasures, and we go back to #1.

Books and old tobacco tins would be my preference, but where to put them? I live in a cracker box. Books would come first. Kitsch like statues, pipe-shaped things and other useless dust collectors will be for a place I can put them--lest I displace my racks tobacco and pipes themselves. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 27
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:48 pm

For me its about space and money. As soon as I get a space that is "my" own I'd love to collect that stuff, but for now money goes to what I can really enjoy: pipes and tobacco. I have dreams about having a study where the wife and kid aren't allowed and I can smoke to my hearts content. For now it seems I can't take a dump without one of them running in on me. Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
kaiser83

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Wherever the smoke clears
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:16 pm

i.keenum wrote:
For me its about space and money. As soon as I get a space that is "my" own I'd love to collect that stuff, but for now money goes to what I can really enjoy: pipes and tobacco. I have dreams about having a study where the wife and kid aren't allowed and I can smoke to my hearts content. For now it seems I can't take a dump without one of them running in on me. Shocked Laughing

"Daddy, Daddy, Daddy....oh P U, you stink Daddy. Mommy, mommy, mommy......"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Two words.

Disposable income.

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 27
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Take it you know the feeling
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
kaiser83

avatar

Age : 33
Location : Wherever the smoke clears
Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Take it you know the feeling

Lol, yep sure do brother. I'd assume most people here do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Birmingham, AL
Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I have heard and seen brief glimpses of the elusive "disposable income". He was hanging out with Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Actually, it normally just flies right by because of a son in college.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dock
BoB's Team
avatar

Age : 105
Location : @ The Gym
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 pm

At the suggestion of Dutch, I've started a thread over in the Pix section to post up pix of all things tobacciana. I will add MANY items from my own collection and when I can, share a little of the history of the piece. Hopefully others who can will follow suit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:52 pm

I am watching that thread. Thank you for starting it Dock!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
 
Does anyone care about collecting tobacciana anymore?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Easy Care Horse Rescue Centre
» Does Anyone Care ?(Nigerian School Girls)
» Why we still care about Madeleine McCann By Tony Parsons
» Apocalyptica - I Don't Care
» 4-Year-Old British Girl From Nottingham Killed By Car On Daytona Beach, Florida

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: