HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The House of Silk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: The House of Silk   Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:02 am

I wonder if any have read the novel by Anthony Horowitz? The book was authorized by Doyle's estate to be the first "new" Holmes story. I finished it last night; good enough I suppose. I found the style reminiscent of Doyle's but hollow somehow (according to an NPR interview he worked very hard to approximate Doyle's writing style); perhaps that is to be expected from someone who did not live in the time as Doyle did.

It's a decent yarn with some nice twists; maybe a little predictable but no more so than any other thriller and certainly better than some, and I guess it's not fair to compare it to The Canon. The characters are all there, but to me the mention of many of the expected accoutrements (the morocco case with its syringe, for example, and the Persian slipper) seemed like an afterthought, as though the writer was thinking, "These will be expected, and I've got to get them in there somewhere."

The pipes were mentioned but only infrequently; obviously I would have preferred more! I suppose it reflects our modern times that the syringe and its solution figured more prominently and seemed to be mentioned more often than tobacco.

I did note one (to me) glaring inaccuracy, and have to admit that it surprised me given that even basic research surely would have prevented it. In chapter nine, after a brief meeting with Mycroft, Holmes "leant over the gasogene and lit his cigarette." While gasogene does sound like something that might contain a flame, I would think it would be difficult to light a cigarette with a seltzer bottle!

In any event, I'm glad I read it, and I'd be interested in the opinions of any others who may have done so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:47 am

re: gasogene

Yes, it doesn't mean what the author thought it meant! How does does the novel compare to other would-be Holmes stories?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:23 am

DrT999 wrote:
How does does the novel compare to other would-be Holmes stories?

Years ago I read The New Exploits of Sherlock Holmes, a collection of stories by Adrian Conan Doyle (Arthur's son) and John Dickson Carr. Later I read The Seven Per-cent Solution and The West End Horror by Nicholas Meyer. In all honesty I don't remember much about any of them but I don't recall disliking them or having any specific problems with them. I assume I felt the same way as I felt about Silk: decent enough, but a little pale when compared with the originals.

They're all still in my library somewhere; I may have to reacquaint myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

I've just downloaded a sample of the book on my Kindle. Very interested to have a read at this.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:47 am

I enjoyed the book - a very good read. I've no hesitation in recommending The House of Silk to others. cheers

Thanks for the tip Idlefellow.

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:38 am

I haven't read it yet, and there isn't really and excuse for screwing up the meaning of the word "gasogene", but...Sir Arthur Conan Doyle used it in "A Scandal in Bohemia" and if you didn't know the meaning there you might assume it had something to do with the cigar that Holmes had just given Watson.

"His manner was not effusive. It seldom was; but he was glad, I think, to see me. With hardly a word spoken, but with a kindly eye, he waved me to an armchair, threw across his case of cigars, and indicated a spirit case and gasogene in the corner. Then he stood before the fire and looked me over in his singular introspective fashion."

No mention in that paragraph of a way to light the cigar, so I can see the authors confusion of the meaning based on that paragraph.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 pm

I see what you're saying, but I think "...and indicated a spirit case and gasogene in the corner" should have given the author some idea that they had something to do with each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 pm

Jers wrote:
I enjoyed the book - a very good read. I've no hesitation in recommending The House of Silk to others. cheers

Thanks for the tip Idlefellow.

Fraternally

Jers

Glad you enjoyed it! Who is producing the Rattray's tobaccos these days? I used to love Black Mallory but must admit I've not had any since Rattray's of Perth went away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
I see what you're saying, but I think "...and indicated a spirit case and gasogene in the corner" should have given the author some idea that they had something to do with each other.

Or, it could have been to grab a drink and light the cigar. I just see a way that the word could easily be misinterpreted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

PostSubject: Re: The House of Silk   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Idlefellow wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it! Who is producing the Rattray's tobaccos these days? I used to love Black Mallory but must admit I've not had any since Rattray's of Perth went away.

Rattray's tobaccos are now produced by a German Company, Kohlhase, Kopp and Co.

I just noted that Black Mallory is a heck of a lot cheaper in the USA than it is cover here - how is that fair? lol!

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=188

Fraternally

Jers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The House of Silk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1