HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

CORPS in Richmond Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: CORPS in Richmond Report   Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Had a great time in Richmond this weekend. Drove up Saturday and just got home today. General feeling from the crowd is they prefer the old venue (not sure where that was as this is my first CORPS show) over the venue at the Greater Richmond Convention Center. I think it was more an issue that attendees were staying all over the place rather then one central location, making it tough to hang out at night.

A lot of great pipes on display. Some really talented pipe makers. hung out with Nathan King, who does some beautiful pipes. He definitely has a great supplier of briar.

Yes, I had a TAD and PAD attack. Picked one relatively inexpensive pipe with a smaller chamber for flake. It has a a nice finish and grain. Won a tin of Jackknife Plug. Sutliff gave away tins and picked up Field Master and Alexander Bridge to try. Purchased Ten Russians and Engine #99 from C&D.

Tried a lot of tobaccos, include Triple Play that has good vitamin N kick. Also tried the Frog Morton with the little block of wood that was very tasty. Also got a chance to try Plum Pudding that was a great smoke, may have to place an order.

Never been downtown Richmond before and it was quite nice. Went out to Sine (sa-nay) Irish Pub down near the waterfront with the cobblestone streets and enjoy a bowl or two in the outside area along with a few pints of Guinness.

All in all a great time!

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://geoffcorey.github.io
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Also hiding behind the sample bags is a 4 pipe stand and ashtray.
Back to top Go down
R.A.

Registration date : 2011-02-09

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes the show was nice indeed, I kept an eye out to see if I could spot you GeoffC but I didn't see ya. I did get to Meet Docwatson/Andy So I finally met a fellow BoB member at a pipe show.

My friend and I drove up Friday took in some local sights, and Headed to the show Sat morn, Had a great time. Found a Peterson stem I had been needing, and won a can of GL Pease Westminster (door prize). In the first 15 minutes of being at the show, a good start to the day!

Tried and liked: Two Friends Celtic Mist (C&D) tobacco and bought a can ,And tried and liked Russ's new blend "Fusilierís Ration " Also a couple of the Hearth and Home aros but I draw a complete blank now on the names. Had several good bowls of new flavors.

Sutliff had a couple of English Blends "Berkshire" and "Field Master" so I got a tin of each to try later. It got to the point I had tried a several different flavors and couldnt truly give others a clean taste to decide if I would like them.

I bought a couple of project stemless bowls. But my main treat to myself was a Wellington Antique "Roundtop" with ornate brass trim and yellow/bakelite stem. I love the old vintage pipes.

My friend also tried a few blends and picked up some Sutliff aros sample tins ( she likes the aros) especially "Molto Dolce" and bought herself a couple of new pipes, a ceramic antique bent and a nice bent billard Jobey with a butterscotch color stem

After the Show closed Sat My friend and I had drinks and dinner with a some of the CORPS members and vendors got to listen to some good tobacco related conversation and found out there is a radio show about pipes here is a link http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/forum/pipes-magazine-radio-show

So I will have to check it out. Went back sunday had a couple bowls and looked at all the pipe I wanted but couldnt have. There were so many nice pipes to see. Well then it was time to head home as the show was wrapping up.

Its was a great time I met a few folks that were able to share some pipe related info I had been searching for they went out of their way to answer my questions or tell me who might know. A fine group of fellows They treated me as if I had known them all my life. The CORPS show (my second time) was again a grand time, good smoke and some of the nicest folks one would ever want to meet.

If you never been to a pipe show, well you have been missing out cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:00 pm

R.A. I too tried to find brothers and could not spot a one! I knew you were there and thought about just shouting out! Of course you probably live less the 3 miles from me. I'm over near the Kennebec International Airport.
Back to top Go down
docwatson

Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:01 pm

R.A.
It was great to meet you again at the CORPS show this past weekend. I could tell that you and your lady friend were really enjoying the show. I sometimes spend as much time walking around the show talking with friends as I do sitting at my table selling. But mingling and visiting with others is the best part of the show for me personally.
As for the venue, I found it to be the best in years. The hall was huge, incredibly well lit for viewing pipes, and able to smoke all day if you wish.
I did meet Riff Raff (Al) and spent a lot of time speaking with him also. Tried to find other Brothers but not much success unless a meeting place is coordinated ahead of time or someone calls out a name. Also saw Earl (strongirish) and had a great visit with him and spoke of his likes of certain pipes.
Unfortunately I never got to meet Geoff. Hopefully next year or the next show I'll be attending will be Las Vegas in 3 weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Almost forgot,
I also got to see Scottdmb and Cigarfor2 also at the show. You guys are a blast, really into the pipe scene for sure and I'm sure we'll meet up again at the Kaywoodie extravaganza in December.
Great to see you both again.
Andy C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Always a pleasure Andy. Had a great time as usual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:24 pm

docwatson wrote:
Almost forgot,
I also got to see Scottdmb and Cigarfor2 also at the show. You guys are a blast, really into the pipe scene for sure and I'm sure we'll meet up again at the Kaywoodie extravaganza in December.
Great to see you both again.
Andy C.

Andy, it was certainly great to see you again as well! I look forward to the Kaywoodie show as well! Geoff, I didn't make the connection until now, but we definitely ran into each other at the show. You and your wife sat at a table with myself and a gentleman named Dave from my pipe club. We chatted about pipes and cigars for a little while....also, I asked you to watch my pipe bag at one point while I went to use the restroom facilities. Cool to know that you're on here...had a nice time chatting with you.

All in all, awesome show. I echo the sentiments of others that having everyone spread out at different hotels was a major bummer. Although, I will have to say that I don't know if I have ever had as much fun as I had Friday night watching the Orioles game at the hotel with a couple guys from the Chesapeake Pipe Club. Cubans (cigars, not women unfortunately) were passed out, craft beer was poured, and a lot of laughs were had throughout the evening. As far as the show itself, I didn't make out with a huge haul, but I enjoyed the camaraderie more than anything. Seeing old friends, meeting new folks, and talking to pipe makers and tobacconists is always a thrill and how many times can a guy enjoy the company of several hundred folks that all enjoy the same hobby? I did pick up a nice old Caminetto, a tin of Full Va Flake, and several vintage leather tobacco pouches, so all in all I suppose I made out pretty well after all. I'll try to post pics at some point! Looking forward to 2013 CORPS show already!!!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Cigar2you wrote:
Always a pleasure Andy. Had a great time as usual.

Remind me to follow you like a stray dog at the next show. You always seem to find the craziest deals, lol! Had a great time man!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Scott! Great to meet you!
Back to top Go down
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you guys. I almost put on a name badge that said "Riff Raff", probably should have. Fortunately, Andy shouted my name so we were able to meet. I'm pretty sure I saw Geoff walking around, I think we entered about the same time (I had a small backpack slung over one shoulder). Next year, I'll keep my hotel room and stay Sat evening. A family issue (funeral...) didn't allow for that this year. I think that I spy one of Mel F's ashtrays in your stash. I bought a 7-pipe rack from him, quite a character. He said what ever didn't sell, he was leaving for the CORPS group to use as raffle prizes for next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cigar2you

Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 pm

I talked with Mel as well. He indicated this was going to be his last doing the show. A real fine gentleman that will surely be missed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
docwatson

PostSubject: Re: CORPS in Richmond Report   Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:53 am

My good friend Mel Feldman has been attending his LAST show for the last 5 years!!!!! lol! lol!
He has more vintage stuff stashed away from his days of running "The Smoker" pipe shop in Albany, NY that you can imagine. At one time I believe he had over 1000 empty pipe tins covering the walls of his shop, it was a great place to meet with a vintage Barber's Chair to sit back and enjoy a smoke. I'm sure you can see him again in Newark come springtime.
cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

CORPS in Richmond Report
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1