HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Rainy Morning Hunt!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:06 am

Well the monsoon that we are having in my area put the kabosh to my morning hunt... Rain is coming in side ways..... but you know how it goes.. Life gives you lemons get some vodka and make lemon drops... I am excited cause I am going to start the tanning process on 3 hides..... Feels good to be back in the tanning fold again..... Got the Ipod set to jam out to some tunes as I sling that Scud Knife....

Have a blessed day brothers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 am

Did you guys get that weird warm front up there? Saturday morning here was 37.F just before dawn. By midnight it was 70. Never stopped raining.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 am

Yeah! that was freaking weird and then it got really foggy in the morning agian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 pm

I think I heard the squirrels say, "...oh I love the rain, and living another day..." Laughing

Do you make stew out of 'em? I've consumed some weird dishes in my day, but squirrel isn't one of them. I've had porcupine, though. Very Happy

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:24 pm

Kyle I wasn't huntin squirrel, was huntin white tail... Squirrel is great by the way, so is rabbit. Porkies are good eating, beaver is pretty good, but the king of weird dishes to me is by far musk rat. If you ever get a chance to eat musk rat, GO FOR IT it is delicious. people hear rat and get turned off, but you would be hard pressed to find a cleaner animal in the wild up here, they only den up near clean fresh water sources.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Beaver wasn't to my fancy, there was something odd about it. Rabbit, possum, snake, etc...yes. Porcupine was awesome. cheers Musk rat ain't real common around here, but I'd go for it. I've even had skunk before. Not nearly what one would think.

Sorry your white tail hunt got rained out. Talk about deeeeelicious meat! I'm a huge fan of pronghorn too...makes the best Nevada chili around. Very Happy

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Beaver wasn't to my fancy, there was something odd about it. Rabbit, possum, snake, etc...yes. Porcupine was awesome. cheers Musk rat ain't real common around here, but I'd go for it. I've even had skunk before. Not nearly what one would think.

Sorry your white tail hunt got rained out. Talk about deeeeelicious meat! I'm a huge fan of pronghorn too...makes the best Nevada chili around. Very Happy

Cool

Never ate skunk, but I knew an old fella that caught one as a kitten and had the scent gland removed, and pronghorn.. just let me know and I will draw a tag for your state for the next season, bring the Rem 700 and get you one! I been meaning to get out west again anyways and the wife keeps saying she wants to go on vacation! BOOM! Three Birds.... one stone! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Pronghorn is very, very, very hard to hunt. They see you, you don't see them. I mean, I say give it a shot (so to speak)... hell, I might want to tag along just for the hell of it. I don't hunt, never have, just don't know too many hunters, oddly enough.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

I got confused there for a while,,,I assumed you were deer hunting, thus tanning deer hides. When Kyle mentioned squirrels I had a brain fart wondering why you were tanning squirrel hides. lol!

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 pm

Someone's gotta have fur earmuffs, right?

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:45 am

mark wrote:
...I had a brain fart wondering why you were tanning squirrel hides. lol!

I knew an amateur tanner/leather worker once who never disclosed the source or species of his hides, but he had a whole swarm of barn cats. He called one of them "Holster". scratch

Has this thread turned into the "what beasts have you eaten" survey? My dad hit a very tasty bear with his Prius a few years ago. Did a number on the car, but it was definitely tenderized. Had some skunk, gator, snake, bison, peacock, snapping turtle...you know, the usual. Never tried muskrat or beaver, though. I'm superstitious about eating porcupine. The Indians say it's bad luck to kill them unless you're starving because they're so easy to kill. Having said that, and bringing it back around to my dad, I once saw my pop stand over one that was eating his canoe (they do that) and empty my grampa's old Colt .25 on it. The porcupine looked up at him like "bitch, please" and ambled off into the woods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:48 am

That one made my night!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:20 am

Ooh! I forgot horse and kangaroo. Most Americans my age have eaten those without realizing it. How's the whitetail herd looking up by you, Thistle? Down where I hunt the summer drought and EDH virus has taken a toll on their numbers. I don't bow hunt, but those that do haven't seen much. Prospects for gun season next month aren't looking too good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 am

Yup - Squirrel, Rabbit, Bison, Gator (spend some time in Louisiana), and a few others.

Most people pass on the older squirrels since they're not as tender, but a Crock Pot fixes that. Twisted Evil

When my wife and I were first dating (12-years ago), she came over one evening and we had squirrel for dinner. I coated them with BBQ Sauce that morning and let them simmer all day. She actually liked them, and we have still them on occasion.

Honestly though, Squirrel and Rabbit are about the only 2 things I hunt anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:49 pm

The heard is looking ok... I do QDM on my property and I am very proud to say that we had 7 pair of twins born this year and 9 singles ( that I saw and counted) I usually don't shoot anything under an 8pt. Knock on wood EDH hasn't really touched our neck of the woods. sorry to hear about down by you... used to be damn fine hunting land down there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Have you gotten out to see if any bucks are nosin' around your huntin' grounds? I know some guys like to go "shopping" before they set up stands or blinds.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:12 pm

day before yesterday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Not the biggest, but probably delicious! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cuervo25_1

Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Rainy Morning Hunt!   Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Parts of NJ are loaded with huge bucks, and others you are lucky to even see one. That usually coensides with where your allowed to hunt. the sad thing is there are alot more huntable areas that are huntable but whatever township your in may have no discharge laws, which include bows for some messed up reason. CWD isn't unheard of here, but Blue Tongue is causing issues plus I have seen deer with some pretty nasty tumors on them.

As far as "weird" table fare I have had alligator, and snapping turtle. The funny thing is some people here think I am crazy for eating squirrel, bear, and rabbits. I want to try coon, possum, beaver, and muskrat though.

Once everything settles here I want to start hunting again and get some hides tanned for some projects I have in mind. For the table top gaming nerds I would make dice bags, for us pipe smokers pipe/ tobacco pouches, and a few other Ideas as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Rainy Morning Hunt!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1