HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:42 am

This actually happened the day before yesterday, but I'm only now conscious enough to write about it.

The little man just started crawling and "cruising" (where he pulls himself up to a standing position and shuffles along while holding onto something like the coffee table or tv stand). Apparently he was "cruising" on a small book shelf at daycare when he lost his handhold and fell forward, whacking his head and face on the lower shelf. He had a pretty good raspberry on his temple and a busted lip, but otherwise seemed ok.

When we took him home that evening he was fussy but seemed as you'd expect him to be after a fall like this. Then, as I was putting him in his pajamas I noticed he wasn't moving his right arm. I ran through the motions, his hand was warm and he had a pulse at the wrist, I tested his range of motion and it was normal, but I noticed he didn't withdraw, like he did when I moved his left arm. It seemed ok, but it just hung there.

Now, I have been an EMT (professionally, and now as a volunteer) for the last 15 years. I know that you almost never actually need to go the ER. So I called his pediatrician and she said that since it was from his shoulder down (rather than elbow down) we needed to bring him to the ER to be looked at. So at about 8 o'clock we bundled him up and headed down to CHoP. He didn't seem to care all that much and fell asleep during the car ride. At about 9 we were seen by a triage nurse, and he still was not moving his arm. She scheduled x-rays and gave him some pain reliever and we were sent back to the waiting room. During this time he was awake and smiling at all the other people. About 10, we had the xray and went back to the waiting room. Then about 11:30 he's given a bed in the ER. Now he's active and playing around - grabbing at things, etc. I pick him up and I notice that he's pushing away from me with both hands! I put him down and he's crawling around on both hands. Still, we wait for the doctor who concludes that he likely dislocated his elbow and when the pain meds kicked him, he started moving it enough to pop it back. Though, in her evaluation she noticed that he had two ear infections. So after all that we left the ER at about 2 am with a prescription for amoxicillin and a happy, sleeping baby.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:49 am

Glad he's ok. That kind of stuff really scares ya'. Sounds like your EMT background helped you keep a cool rational head. Something very hard to do when the babies don't feel well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jers

Registration date : 2012-07-14

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

Really happy that all turned out well. It is terrible as a parent seeing one of your kids sick - we went through a couple a visits to the ER over the years, so I share your pain.

Fraternally

Jers

Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 am

as a parent I know those are not fun times. So glad things are ok brother, hope your little guy heals up quick

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Glad to know there was a fairly happy ending to all the anxiety!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Glad he's ok, Dave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steveaux

Registration date : 2012-09-03

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Glad the little guy's back in action!

This won't be your last trip. Fortunately, they are amazingly resilient critters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:12 pm

yeah, there is a reason God starts em off so close to the ground Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Dave...that's the stuff gray hair comes from. Two quick ones...

1. My son, twenty years old...moderate lower right quadrant soreness (flags and bells going off, right?)...no temp to speak of...constipated...a couple of days worth. So I go to his place to pick him up to spend the weekend with us and later decide we're going to the ER. The Doogy Houser MD on duty stumbled around mumbling and bleary eyed and the blood work came back showing no real white cell spike...X-rays come back "OK"...the 'Doc' says to go home and come back if things change. Hold on a minute! He's still tender in the RLQ and if the Doc pushes right THERE...he jumps off the table...that ain't right! So the Doc hems and haws...well-l-l-l, we COULD do an MRI...if you insisted...maybe...I guess...our call. Hey, we're here...let's do it cause we want to KNOW. Comes back major plus plus appendicitis...so far past initial infection that the white count is back down, but "moments" from bursting. Nice. Prepped and into surgery that night. You would not believe what the Surgeon had to say.

2. My daughter, about 7 at the time. We're getting into the car on the way for her annual check-up (thank you Lord) and I notice a pea sized blister in her index finger, middle joint. What's that? I don't know. How long has it been there? I don't know. Does it hurt? I don't know. Rolling Eyes We get to our family doctor (Harvard Med School...very homespun attitude...family practice guy). The PA goes through her stuff and then I say...look at this. Her eyes bug out...let me have your doctor look at it, but I don't like it. He comes in and HIS eyes bug out. He says...all no nonsense, "Get in your car and take her to this clinic (Orthopedic Surgeon...right across the steet from the hospital) and I'll schedule the surgery while you're on the way, for this afternoon. It looks like a staff infection to me." And by this time the 'blister' is twice the size of when we left home! Very long story short...surgery that afternoon to open and debride the finger, staff infection of unknown origin, blister increased to the size of a quarter, and she was in the hospital for ONE WEEK on IV antibiotics.

And if anyone out there thinks that I don't believe that God is watching over us...get a clue!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Glad he is okay. Sounds like your lil man is a real trooper.

BH...holy crap on that staff infection, glad your kiddos came out okay when they were younger too brother.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Having raised 3 children, two boys and one girl, I've made several of those trips to the ER. It was thankfully always nothing life threatning, but I know the feelings that run thru your head and gut when it happens! Glad it was alright but know that with a young male, you will probably be looking at several more in the future Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
scotties22

Registration date : 2012-06-10

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Glad the little guy is okay, Dave.

My son is just about at the same place. Loves to pull up on the hearth. Daddy likes to overreact....about everything....screaming that he is gonna have nightmares. We've been lucky so far, no ER trips.....yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ladybriar.com Online
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Dave, I'm glad he's ok! I know all that comes with the territory, but it's still no fun. It's also cool that you've been an EMT for so long and know what to do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:21 pm

No fun at all! I'm glad he is okay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Babies are tough suckers. Even though they cry and poop themselves constantly, I've seen them take a tumble and literally bounce. Thank goodness for bones that aren't quite solid yet, eh? Glad you're a good parent and take nothing to chance, Dave.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Glad this ended well! Lucky little guy, having such a cool-headed dad. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. I'm surprised you all took the time to read my rambles. I love you

As a bit of an update I talked with my wife after she dropped him off at daycare this morning and Miss Lois, his teacher(?), started to cry as soon as she saw him. She felt so bad that he had to go to the hospital. Things like this happen, but its really nice to see that they care so much.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:51 pm

*Phew*
Glad to hear it had a happy ending!! cheers

My boy Mike dislocated his shoulder a couple of years ago. We had the same trip to the ER and he was fine after putting it back in place. He was running about and back to normal within the hour. Us parents were way more freaked out by it all. Kids just accept it and forget about it once it's done, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Glad everything worked out for both of you - Dave and Blackhorse.

Having 2 kids, been there - done that. Nothing life threatening, but still things that needed attention. That plus my wife freaking out over everything and over-reacting (which is normal for her).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Wow...I'm glad to read that things weren't worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fishfuzz

Registration date : 2012-05-24

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Glad to hear he's okay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Thank God everything is ok!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:04 pm

A scary story with a happy ending is a funny story in a few weeks. Wink

Glad to hear the little guy is ok!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:59 pm

You're a good dad, Dave. Glad your boy is all smiles now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
tech2576

Registration date : 2012-01-19

PostSubject: Re: So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent   Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm

You did exactly what needed done. Fine job Dave.
Don't think it will be your last trip!

Well done sir, you are a stellar dad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

So I spent my first night in the ER as a parent
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next