HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:04 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:01 am

I can't, and I stopped trying after a particularly deep rap session with my friends back in the seventies,,, geek

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:23 am

I can't either. I'm not sure anyone can...well, except for the quantum foam part. Quantum foam is the stuff that sits on top of a glass of quantum beer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
MisterE
Moderator
avatar

Location : Mexico City
Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Yoctometers? Never even heard of those before. Very cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:02 pm

When I was about ten, I was getting a grasp on the "small of small" and "large of large" concepts. I tried drawing it, but said I couldn't do it without it moving. My teacher asked me what I meant, and I said, "It'd be like a tunnel, things of size aren't really things of size, they just pass by like you're travelling down a road. Things behind you are not bigger or smaller, you just keep going forward no matter what direction you think you're going." (I was nuts as a kid, too!) This little site totally reminded me of that, and I cheered! cheers

Neat stuff. Forwarding.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
leftover421

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: One thing larger   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:42 pm

I have just one largest scale thing to add.

Twisted Evil My future Tobacco cellar and future pipe collection Twisted Evil


Dan Rolling Eyes
Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Northwest Michigan
Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:06 pm

Totally blows the mind when you think about it.... how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things....I still hope that we are not the pinnacle of intelligent life in the universe... if we are.... I say we are pretty well up a creek without a paddle .... we need help as the human race....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

avatar

Age : 44
Location : Park Hills, MO
Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Thistleoak wrote:
I still hope that we are not the pinnacle of intelligent life in the universe... if we are.... I say we are pretty well up a creek without a paddle .... we need help as the human race....

Don't worry, Brother! The Aliens are coming back on 12/21/2012. When they do, one of two things will happen. They will bring peace to the world, and share technology with us to make it a better place to live. Or (probably more likely) the great 'Earth Experiment' will be ended and it won't matter anyway... Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Northwest Michigan
Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:00 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
The Aliens are coming back on 12/21/2012. When they do, one of two things will happen. They will bring peace to the world, and share technology with us to make it a better place to live. Or (probably more likely) the great 'Earth Experiment' will be ended and it won't matter anyway... Twisted Evil

Rob if I buy another pair of white nikes and a jogging suite and get another let down!!!!!!!! Suspect Suspect Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Thistleoak wrote:
Totally blows the mind when you think about it.... how insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things...
That's my take on it, Brothah Thistleoak. If I scrounge up all the intellectual honesty I can muster, in my heart of hearts I cannot persuade myself that the human species is the "crown of creation", or whatever the mythology about such things has been. The fact that we demonstrate the emergent property of self-awareness might make us "special", but I'm not sure it makes us very important in the grand scheme of things.

Which is not to say that there is not within each of us the...er, "spark of the divine", if you know what I mean. But then, if order is born out of chaos (and it is), and such an improbably negentropic thing as LIFE can emerge out of information ("The Word", as it is known in some paradigms), then that spark is embedded in the very fabric of the universe itself. We just happen to occupy that special niche that tries to comprehend it, and blather on and on about it...none of which changes the "itness" of it.

MisterE wrote:
Yoctometers? Never even heard of those before. Very cool.
Indeed...the yoctometer is surpassed in splendor only by the Yaktometer, which is the fundamental unit of measurement in Yaksylvania.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
taharris

avatar

Age : 48
Location : Central Ohio
Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:16 am

At the end of the day we are nothing more than inconspicuous specs in a cruel universe...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:22 pm

Vito wrote:

Indeed...the yoctometer is surpassed in splendor only by the Yaktometer, which is the fundamental unit of measurement in Yaksylvania.


Heh. Which is supplemented with his divisional "cat-ematics" theory of feline math.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Vito wrote:

Indeed...the yoctometer is surpassed in splendor only by the Yaktometer, which is the fundamental unit of measurement in Yaksylvania.

Heh. Which is supplemented with his divisional "cat-ematics" theory of feline math.

Cool
Dang...I missed that. I've gotta get out more. Wink

Oh, wait...is that rubber room stuff? If so, I'll have to remain ignorant. Never been there, and it's prolly best that I stay outa there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:06 pm

No, no Rubber Room sandbox play.

He just likes cats, and keeps getting more.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Oh, well yeah...I know about the Yakster's preference for felinity. I was just wondering about whether there was some specific Yakkian catular philosopho-speak that I missed. I miss plenty.

I like cats too...well, some cats. They're not all the same. But what the heck, cats are "people" too, so they're not different from humanoids in that regard. I guess all people have some redeeming qualities. It's just that you have to look harder to find them for some people than for others.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Well, synonymous is either people are animals or animals are people, but you're right...cat is not a cat is not a cat. There's been cats that I've misunderstood at their claws that simply needed a different approach. People, yeah, they're like that, too. Laughing

Yak has plenty of catilosophy he relates to stuff, as I'm sure you know.

Side note, glad you're posting more, Vito, if I haven't mentioned it. Your flowery way with words is fun to decipher.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont, North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Dogs are always happy but happiest when with you; cats might be happier if they were with you but will get back to you about that. Both are distinctly individual but feline characteristics and grace are also fascinating. Both are animal but cats are distinctly wild.

Dogs are fantastic but cats are closer to the Ultimate Principle, and thus almost sublime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Cats and dogs   Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Thanks Kyle. My flowery way with words is a mutation. The fact that it doesn't get me into trouble more often than it does is evidence that the kind of unexpected fortuitous phenomena known as "miracles" actually do occur. Which is not to say that I believe in the supernatural. The universe is plenty weird enough as it is, without any need for such fantastic notions. Wink

Animals are interesting people. Cats have relatively fixed wiring — very little neuroplasticity. Their factory wiring is pretty much set. They can learn, but only within a tightly defined set of constraints. Dogs have more learning ability, so their behaviors can necessarily be more complex. Some folks find that a bit too...I dunno—unnerving? Unpredictable? Threatening? Cats are more aloof, yet more predictable. I can understand why humans whose personalities are more compatible with that character prefer them.

For my part, I like both cats and dogs. They're endlessly fascinating, and great natural comics. At least, I find their behaviors comical...not least because they can't help who they are. They have no ego to cause them to pretend to be something they're not.

By the way, your "tunnel" observation (earlier in this thread) is one of those "out of the mouths of babes" thangs. Pretty cool for a 10-year-old kid. I'm still reflecting on its implications. I don't think it's "nuts" at all. It reveals the nature of "reality" as an ensemble of subjectively perceived phenomena...most of which are relative to our frame of reference when we make observations. The fact that we forget...
  1. that those observations are subjective, and...
  2. that they are relative...
...accounts for the vast majority of human conflict. For a species with so much neuroplasticity, you'd think we'd be somewhat less insistent that our perspectives are absolute. Yet it is that very insistence that is often at the root of our fighting like...well, cats and dogs.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Simple Man

avatar

Age : 56
Location : Atlanta-ish
Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Vito wrote:

The fact that we forget...

1. that those observations are subjective, and...
2. that they are relative...

...accounts for the vast majority of human conflict. For a species with so much neuroplasticity,you'd think we'd be somewhat less insistent that our perspectives are absolute.
Yet it is that very insistence that is often at the root of our fighting like...well, cats and dogs.


Are you absolutely sure about that? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Simple Man wrote:
...Are you absolutely sure about that? Laughing
I'm absolutely sure that it's an observation I've made. I've already commented on the nature of human observations.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Kyle Weiss

avatar

Location : Reno, NV
Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Vito wrote:
Thanks Kyle. My flowery way with words is a mutation. The fact that it doesn't get me into trouble more often than it does is evidence that the kind of unexpected fortuitous phenomena known as "miracles" actually do occur. Which is not to say that I believe in the supernatural. The universe is plenty weird enough as it is, without any need for such fantastic notions. Wink

Animals are interesting people. Cats have relatively fixed wiring — very little neuroplasticity. Their factory wiring is pretty much set. They can learn, but only within a tightly defined set of constraints. Dogs have more learning ability, so their behaviors can necessarily be more complex. Some folks find that a bit too...I dunno—unnerving? Unpredictable? Threatening? Cats are more aloof, yet more predictable. I can understand why humans whose personalities are more compatible with that character prefer them.

For my part, I like both cats and dogs. They're endlessly fascinating, and great natural comics. At least, I find their behaviors comical...not least because they can't help who they are. They have no ego to cause them to pretend to be something they're not.

By the way, your "tunnel" observation (earlier in this thread) is one of those "out of the mouths of babes" thangs. Pretty cool for a 10-year-old kid. I'm still reflecting on its implications. I don't think it's "nuts" at all. It reveals the nature of "reality" as an ensemble of subjectively perceived phenomena...most of which are relative to our frame of reference when we make observations. The fact that we forget...
  1. that those observations are subjective, and...
  2. that they are relative...
...accounts for the vast majority of human conflict. For a species with so much neuroplasticity, you'd think we'd be somewhat less insistent that our perspectives are absolute. Yet it is that very insistence that is often at the root of our fighting like...well, cats and dogs.


Awesome post, if not simply for the flattery. Agreed on all counts. Thanks. Very Happy

Vito wrote:
The universe is plenty weird enough as it is, without any need for such fantastic notions.

^----- This x ∞

Cool

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:54 pm

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Dogs are always happy but happiest when with you; cats might be happier if they were with you but will get back to you about that. Both are distinctly individual but feline characteristics and grace are also fascinating. Both are animal but cats are distinctly wild.
Funny you should mention that, Mike. Just the other day, Daughter No. 2 was commenting on the difference between cats and pooches, and came up with this: "Dogs take your calls. Cats have answering machines." Laughing

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
Dogs are fantastic but cats are closer to the Ultimate Principle, and thus almost sublime.
...er, I'm not familiar with the Ultimate Principle—at least, not by that name. Would you care to enlighten me? confused

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 pm

I was wondering why my Yaktometer was vibrating !

cat What a Face king lol!
Back to top Go down
alfredo_buscatti

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont, North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:44 pm

The Ultimate Principle is whatever you want to call it. Mystics/saints from all cultures throughout time have had their names for it.

I think cats beat hell out of dogs everyday all day as representatives of the Ultimate Principle, that which flows between subject and object, the manipulation of which enlarges the subject as he changes to be able to wield more of it; but I know the dog fanciers would say differently. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

avatar

Location : Earth
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can   Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:03 am

alfredo_buscatti wrote:
The Ultimate Principle is whatever you want to call it. Mystics/saints from all cultures throughout time have had their names for it.

I think cats beat hell out of dogs everyday all day as representatives of the Ultimate Principle, that which flows between subject and object, the manipulation of which enlarges the subject as he changes to be able to wield more of it; but I know the dog fanciers would say differently. . .
...er, well OK...but you still haven't told me what it is. Your answer seems to presume that I already know what you're talking about. I don't.

Exactly what is it that "flows between subject and object"? confused Question confused Question confused

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
 
Wrap Your Head Around This...If You Can
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Any suggestions for a stinking head cold???!!!
» Crèche head 'molested girl'
» Bob Diamond.....hang your head in shame.
» PETRAEUS ~ Head of the CIA RESIGNS! FBI Investigating Mistress!
» head of ryujin 2.1(HOT HOT)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: