HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frozenthunderbolt

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Helensville, New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:49 am

Hi guys and Gals,

I lucked onto your site via howtogrowtobacco.com and thought that it would complement nicely!

I'm from New Zealand and enjoy learning new skills - love home distilling and home fermentation of tea and vegetables, i'm not a smoker but love the smell of tobacco and think i might like the odd pipe or cigar now and again (love dark chocolate and black coffee!)

I've got golden Virginia growing - seed from trade me originally, and saved and grown out again this year.

I would love some other varieties of seeds to grow if any local members have seeds of other varieties to give away - i'm happy to pay postage Very Happy

I've been picking the dirt leaves at the bottom to practice drying - got them turning a loverly buff/tan brown and crispy.
I'm going to use them to experiment with fermenting the leaves to get more cigar/pipe type tobacco.

I'm also a woodcarver and love the idea of making myself a long 'Gandalf' style pipe to smoke.

Any suggestions of good alternatives to briar's (which I now realize are not made of bits of rose! This sucks as i had some nice thick bits of rose pruning drying out Rolling Eyes )

I hope to finish my preliminary reading on the other forum this weekend and be able to start vacuuming up your accumulated knowledge here next weekend.

Many thanks in advance for you wisdom, time and patience.

Jed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

avatar

Age : 43
Location : Oregon
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:19 am

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
alfredo_buscatti

avatar

Age : 62
Location : Piedmont, North Carolina
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:40 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Oak View CA
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 am

welcome

Briar is by far the best wood for pipes, but you can also use cherry wood, olive wood, or apparently african blackwood. you can also get some meerschaum online probably which might make a great gandalf pipe

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
leftover421

avatar

Age : 39
Location : Idaho
Registration date : 2012-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:59 am

Welcome to BoB Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frozenthunderbolt

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Helensville, New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:39 am

the rev wrote:
welcome

Briar is by far the best wood for pipes, but you can also use cherry wood, olive wood, or apparently african blackwood. you can also get some meerschaum online probably which might make a great gandalf pipe

rev

Thanks Rev!

That make my day - i have nearly unlimited amounts of 3 year old olive wood to choose from - i've turned some and love the character it has.

get my lathe running again and we're in business - might have to buy some better quality hand tools (awesome - an excuse cheers ) in order to carve it though - it is both very hard and has a tendency to tear if your chisels are not very sharp.

To make a long curved stem I would assume that i would bore it and then steam bend it, then shape it appropriately?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

avatar

Age : 52
Location : On the road.......
Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:43 am

Welcome to the BoB forums brother! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Oak View CA
Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 am

Frozenthunderbolt wrote:
the rev wrote:
welcome

Briar is by far the best wood for pipes, but you can also use cherry wood, olive wood, or apparently african blackwood. you can also get some meerschaum online probably which might make a great gandalf pipe

rev

Thanks Rev!

That make my day - i have nearly unlimited amounts of 3 year old olive wood to choose from - i've turned some and love the character it has.

get my lathe running again and we're in business - might have to buy some better quality hand tools (awesome - an excuse cheers ) in order to carve it though - it is both very hard and has a tendency to tear if your chisels are not very sharp.

To make a long curved stem I would assume that i would bore it and then steam bend it, then shape it appropriately?

I would guess that is how to do it, not sure how well it would hold the bend when smoking though, possibly fine. I only work with lucite and vulcanite stems so those are much different.

please post what you come up with

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
friar_jay

avatar

Age : 36
Location : Middle Peninsula, Virginia
Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Welcome to the BoB!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bobostro61

avatar

Age : 56
Location : South Suburbs of Chicago
Registration date : 2012-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

avatar

Age : 67
Location : foothills of the Ozarks
Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Welcome, Jed. Lovely country you come from. A few on this forum have grown their own, but mostly we're at the "consuming" end of the production line. Laughing Which Island you on? My roommate in graduate school is in Wellington, and I may take a few students there this summer.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Frozenthunderbolt

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Helensville, New Zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 am

Natch wrote:
Welcome, Jed. Lovely country you come from. A few on this forum have grown their own, but mostly we're at the "consuming" end of the production line. Laughing Which Island you on? My roommate in graduate school is in Wellington, and I may take a few students there this summer.

Natch

Hi Natch,

I'm in the north island nw of Auckland.

What do you teach - i'm a primary teacher 10-13 year olds pirat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Kalamazoo, MI
Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Welcome aboard, Jed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

avatar

Age : 68
Location : Southern Appalachia
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ   Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 pm

Welcome Jed. I worked with some of your SAS mates in Afghanistan. Great guys.
Good luck with the olivewood, should be a beauty.

Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Hi from a keen carver & new tobaco grower from NZ
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Azriel Carver -- Found Deceased 3/18/10, Shantina Smiley -- Missing 3/13/10

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Welcome Wagon-
Jump to: