HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What's wrong with this pipe!?!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:27 am

the rev wrote:
not a chance homeboy

enjoy your re found love, I would never stop a reunion Smile

rev

Oh, okay then, but you seems like a goodly man so I wouldn't have minded, like my Da' said to me once, things always find where they belong, if a man says something would be better his and you know he speaks from the heart, if you can make it so then you should, objects are just that, objects, but matters of the heart and soul, there's where the magic is found. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

Registration date : 2012-10-08

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 am

Impermanent Things
From the album From Strength to Strength (1991)
Peter Himmelman

All these impermanent things
Oh how they fool me
Dominate and rule me
They keep me waiting here forever
Well their beauty's never aging
But their worthlessness's enraging
You know we all stand alone when we're together

Why keep hanging on
To things that never stay
Things that just keep stringin' us along
From day to day

Present yet elusive
Passive yet abusive
Tearing out the heart in utter silence
Well they point in all directions
Like secondhand reflections
And they're leading us to subtle shades of violence

Why keep hanging on
From day to day

Well they're trying to convince me
Baptize my soul and rinse me
Purge my mind of honesty and fire
Well they all add up to zero
They make-believe that they're my hero
Then they fill my mind with doubt and false desires

Why keep hanging on
From day to day

one of the best singer songwriters of our era, unfortunately he is not very well know. Hope you enjoy this song's lyrics, they are quite powerful. That pipe is yours my brother, and I take joy in your having it Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://revspipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:20 am

Good thoughts, John. Good to keep "things" in perspective.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Simple Man wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
This doesn't mean that some pipe smokers are slaves to vogue. We all are. All people are, whether you'd like to believe otherwise or not. In fact, a portion of every community has it's group of people who are "rebels" and don't go with the grain, so to speak. They're following a societal trend when they participate in rebelling against societal trends.

scratch

Lol! Sorry to be confusing. Just pointing out the fallacy in the idea of being a full out rebel. People who rebel tend to group together against larger societal norms and create their own sub-society which has its own rules and norms as well. Non-conformists conform to non-conformity.

I may also have used the word "vogue" incorrectly. What I meant was vogue=trend, trend=societal pattern, following societal pattern=following vogue. We're all a part of that. I tend to think of myself as going against the grain of my generation, but hell there are a lot of people going against the grain in the same way I am. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:17 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:
Simple Man wrote:
UberHuberMan wrote:
This doesn't mean that some pipe smokers are slaves to vogue. We all are. All people are, whether you'd like to believe otherwise or not. In fact, a portion of every community has it's group of people who are "rebels" and don't go with the grain, so to speak. They're following a societal trend when they participate in rebelling against societal trends.

scratch

Lol! Sorry to be confusing. Just pointing out the fallacy in the idea of being a full out rebel. People who rebel tend to group together against larger societal norms and create their own sub-society which has its own rules and norms as well. Non-conformists conform to non-conformity.

I may also have used the word "vogue" incorrectly. What I meant was vogue=trend, trend=societal pattern, following societal pattern=following vogue. We're all a part of that. I tend to think of myself as going against the grain of my generation, but hell there are a lot of people going against the grain in the same way I am. Razz

Ok, well, maybe... but I think I'd rather rebel against your theory. Who's with me!??? Razz lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:14 pm

UberHuberMan wrote:

In the fullness of time, people come to follow their hearts, is this rebellion or simply personal choice, is one conforming to a rigid format by simply being true to ones own self, is it truly wrong to do the right thing for ones own self, have people become so blinded by the relentless attempts of smaller minds to impose their own control structures on other people.

I personally prefer to be considered an individual with my own set of desires and intentions, am I then considered a rebel should my own desires not match the desires of the masses, so then by following my own desires, am I then conforming to a rigid structure of imposed behavioural reactions, I don't think so, but even thinking that could imply my complacency to individuality and the paths this opens up before me as an individual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:43 pm

"The masses" has been mentioned (!!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:18 am

All shapes and sizes...
http://www.brothersofbriar.com/t9202-what-shapes-do-you-dislike-the-most?highlight=least+favorite
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:44 am

Kirk Fitzgerald wrote:
In the fullness of time, people come to follow their hearts, is this rebellion or simply personal choice, is one conforming to a rigid format by simply being true to ones own self, is it truly wrong to do the right thing for ones own self, have people become so blinded by the relentless attempts of smaller minds to impose their own control structures on other people.

I personally prefer to be considered an individual with my own set of desires and intentions, am I then considered a rebel should my own desires not match the desires of the masses, so then by following my own desires, am I then conforming to a rigid structure of imposed behavioural reactions, I don't think so, but even thinking that could imply my complacency to individuality and the paths this opens up before me as an individual.

Deep. cheers

I feel the same way to a large extent, but it does appear that many people other than me seem to adhere to societal norms and conventions whether they feel like it or not. This observation has led me to believe that, even though I "personally prefer to be considered an individual with my own set of desires and intentions," that I too am a part of a larger social structure which I follow without full awareness of doing so.

I think you nailed it when you said, "...so then by following my own desires, am I then conforming to a rigid structure of imposed behavioural reactions, I don't think so, but even thinking that could imply my complacency to individuality and the paths this opens up before me as an individual."

We all believe that our desires, our opinions, our thoughts, feelings, and day to day decisions are all made completely on our own out of our own individuality. I do not think this is entirely false, but most of those things which make us individuals are heavily affected by how we believe we are/want to be perceived and received in society. This is ever present and is a result of being raised within a community of other people. I used to think this was bad, but I don't anymore. We are social creatures and our ability to make choices, form opinions, etc, etc that helps to bond us with our communities is one of the great things about being human.

IMO. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 am

Late in on this one, but I'm glad the dialogue has convinced you to keep it. I somehow missed that one on the SF, so perhaps others did as well? A guy needs at least one humongous pipe for those odd occasions you have a boat load of time for a lengthy smoke. For me, it's my David Jones Jumbo Poker. Enjoy the newfound pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:55 pm

As someone smarter than me once said, "When we project ourselves into the future, we perceive ourselves as free, but when we recall ourselves in the past, we perceive that we are determined." You can test this for yourself by simple declining to get out of bed one morning. And repeat the next morning . . .

Happily, the individual choices we make re: our pipes, hats, shaving items, desserts are things we can do freely (economic costs considered) and should do with a sense of joy and we should be alert for the little voice that says. 'You Need to Seek Approval from Others for Your Personal Likes and Dislikes, and shush it when it appears.'

If you think of it, it would be a pain in the butt if your environment didn't force you into some decisions. So the decisions you make for yourself should reflect your own pursuit of happiness.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Can we please get this thread up to rage-quit status a little more quickly? Sheesh. Draggin' arse on this one. Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 pm

when I was a kid we rebelled against the "excesses" of the disco and hair band arena rock stuff by wearing do it yourself patched up thrift store stuff, or working class wear. I wore dickies, thrift store shirts and converse all stars or chucks as we call them. This was part of the punk scene in my area, but it became my uniform. Now, it is still my uniform. I no longer have bleached spiked hair, or a purple pompadour, but I wear what I am comfortable wearing. Which in my case is dickies, thrift store shirts and converse. These became counter culture cool, and now are less so. I used to care, and now I don't. I live with my ethics, and style, and my own individualism. I don't care if what I am doing, or listening to, or wearing becomes hip, or stops being so. I think this is part of becoming older.

but I do think societal pressures are all around us, and seeing them is part of what some call revealing the powers, and standing against those that are against our own true nature and the good of ourselves and those we love as engaging the powers. I pray that as I grow as a human that I will see more and more of the powers, and have the courage to stand against them in ways that are both meaningful and creative.

rev
Back to top Go down
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:29 pm

the price of your pipe just went up again moron

Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:33 pm

the rev wrote:
the price of your pipe just went up again moron

*rage quit*

We don't have purple pomps and liberty spikes anymore because we lost our hair. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:39 pm

man that is gonna be an expensive pipe Smile

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 pm

the rev wrote:
man that is gonna be an expensive pipe Smile

rev

You do not want to count how many fingers (and which are being held in what particular order) I have at the screen right now. lol!

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the rev

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:48 pm

yay, thumbs up for me

rev
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I love you Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be bothered if everyone hated something I liked.
I see it as less competition for the stuff I want... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What's wrong with this pipe!?!   Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 pm

And that's how you assemble a collection.

cat What a Face study
Back to top Go down

What's wrong with this pipe!?!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3