HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:59 am

If someone receives tobacco and it is detected, are fees/fines mandatory for the recipient? If they are more than he decides to pay, can he refuse the package. He doesn't get the tobacco but he doesn't have to pay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:02 am

Depends, if someone is sending you a gift and it is discovered then the tobacco will just get destroyed and that's the end of it, but if someone in the UK is importing 'purchased' tobacco from a retailer then things get nasty real fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 am

Are you saying that if someone in the US sends tobacco that they have purchased to someone in the UK, that this is not a shipment from a US etailer of tobacco, the tobacco is destroyed whether or not the intended recipient agrees to pay fees/fines? That if destroyed no fees/fines are involved but if not destroyed they must be paid?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 am

Guys I wouldn't worry about it too much, just look at last month's bombing of Greyson. Seems everything went through without a hitch.

BTW - on the customs form I listed my stuff as 'Arts & Crafts Supplies' with a declared value of $5.00 US and the package made it through to the UK not long ago...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 am

what about going the other way?

Surely its ok to send tobacco from Europe to the USA?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:10 am

Rob_In_MO wrote:
Guys I wouldn't worry about it too much, just look at last month's bombing of Greyson. Seems everything went through without a hitch.

BTW - on the customs form I listed my stuff as 'Arts & Crafts Supplies' with a declared value of $5.00 US and the package made it through to the UK not long ago...

Guys, the stuff I was bombed with was not tobacco. Those items of tobacco I did receive were sourced from within the UK. I have had HORRIBLE experience importing tobacco from outside the EU, the fines and charges are out of this world if you get on the wrong side of it. Be very careful, especially if the person you are sending to is broke and cant afford to pay any fines, the last time it happened to me they refused to destroy it and forced me to pay.

klause wrote:
what about going the other way?

Surely its ok to send tobacco from Europe to the USA?

I send tobacco to the US every month, sometimes several times a month, and so far it has not caused any problems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klause

Registration date : 2012-07-09

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am

Quote :
I send tobacco to the US every month, sometimes several times a month, and so far it has not caused any problems.

Phew! Thanks Greyson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Kirk,

Tell me if I'm correct on this (after checking the UK customs web page): if you (a UK citizen) travel to the U.S., am I correct in reading that you can return with up to 250g of tobacco tax free and no need to report it at that amount?

I fretted over Singapore's restrictions for a month before I landed there last summer, and they just waved me through, didn't even open a bag.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:30 pm

Hiya Natch,

you have it spot on chap, we are allowed (as a personal allowance) to import up to 250g of tobacco into the UK each time we pass through Customs, and no, you do not have to declare it if you have no more than 250g as it is considered 'personal' and is none of Customs business.

That is the only 'legal' method of importing tobacco into the UK from outside of the EU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:32 pm

Greyson being a gracious gent sent me a nice Warrior Plug packet without a hitch (and I am eternally drunken grateful for that act).

I think the worry is a bit overblown. Keep the boxes small, under a pound if you can, describe vaguely and truthfully, and use plenty of tape.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 pm

http://www.mysmokingshop.co.uk/

is a lot cheaper than Gauntleys; EACarey only carries their brand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm

If I were to try and ship tobacco from my post office to an international destination and were I to declare it on a customs form, keeping it within legal limits set by the receiving country, it would not be allowed to leave this area due to a very narrow reading of the PACT Act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
beetlejazz

Registration date : 2012-08-17

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:26 pm

klause wrote:
Quote :

Phew! Thanks Greyson.

Phew indeed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonA3597

Registration date : 2008-03-15

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:30 pm

I've sent tobacco to South Africa several times labeled it as "Briar wood hobby supplies". All went through OK. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm

I've also sent tobacco to South Africa without problems. Another question for your Brothers from the Mother Country (of our culture and language, at least Laughing ), any problem mailing a package of tobacco within the UK? Do you have to declare what's in it or such? It doesn't seem to be a concern over here in the Colonies, no asking or forms to fill out unless you want it insured.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco   Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Mailing within the UK is fine, no declarations or anything needed. Mailing from within the European Union starts to incur charges if they see through your 'hobby supplies' label, but they come after you with a machete if they find you with stuff from outside the EU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

UK Customs Rules re: Tobacco
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1