HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 am

Going back home for Christmas, going to be in Paoli, PA (main line, outside of Philadelphia) for about a week. Any must stop by places? any good spots for a smoke? again, sorry if this is the wrong spot to put this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 am

I can't offer any info on places to go of course but I just felt like wishing you a great visit back home, I hope you have a wonderful time. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:11 am

No, no real must see places in Philly. Holts on Walnut has a pretty good selection of pipe tobacco for a B&M, but nothing out of the ordinary and the prices are a bit high (8oz bag of Penzance for $50, 2oz tin of Haddos cost me $18). Great selection of hard to find cigars, though, if that's your thing. Definitely worth stopping in if your in town, but not worth driving in for. Don't be fooled, the Pipe Rack in Chestnut Hill only has a handful of bulk blends in Ziploc bags in a Rubbermaid storage container under the counter. There is another B&M further down Germantown Ave in Chestnut Hill, which is a nice place for a smoke (very friendly to pipe smokers), but again, they focus on cigars and only have a handful of bulk blends and Sutliff tins. They did have about a pound of HV in a bulk jar, but I cleaned that out long ago. Twisted Evil

Les told me a decent shop somewhere in the burbs but I can't recall the name, or even where it was. Hopefully he'll chime in. I'm sure there are more, but that is all I know of. We do have a great pipe club, but we met last week so we probably won't be getting back together until mid-late January.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave! bummer I missed the club. I heard that Top Shelf in Skippack is nice, maybe that's the place in the 'burbs you're thinking of.

Last edited by somedumbjerk on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fat fingers.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 am

somedumbjerk wrote:
Thanks for the reply Dave! bummer I missed the club. I heard that Top Shelf in Skippack is nice, maybe that's the place in the 'burbs you're thinking of.

That may well be it, I do remember it being in that general direction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:52 pm

sdj - just found this note. The Tinderbox down Lancaster Ave in Haverford is worth checking out. Not huge amounts of pipe tobacco and pipes, but very nice store. The Wooden Indian in Havertown has a nice lounge and some pipe stuff. Yes - the Top Shelf in Skippack is a favorite. If you buy 4 tins, you get a fifth one free, and they have open tins to sample. Black Cat near Norristown has interesting pipe stuff too. If you have time for an hour drive, Wingenroth in Lebanon is worth the drive - they have hundreds of tins and owner Mel is extremely knowledgable.

It'd be a couple of hours for you, but MD has the very pipe oriented Main Street Pipes in Belair and the Fader's in Towson has lots - plus they have a number of fine blends they make themselves.

I guess your main haunts in the Bay Area are are Edward's, Mission Pipes and the Paradise in SJ? I get out to the Golden Gate Club at Telford's a few times a year and mourn Grant's closing downtown SF. East Bay has Piedmont Tobacconist and the other Mission Pipes.

Let me know if you want to get together Monday or whenever. I'm in West Chester.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:34 am

lestrout wrote:
sdj - just found this note. The Tinderbox down Lancaster Ave in Haverford is worth checking out. Not huge amounts of pipe tobacco and pipes, but very nice store. The Wooden Indian in Havertown has a nice lounge and some pipe stuff. Yes - the Top Shelf in Skippack is a favorite. If you buy 4 tins, you get a fifth one free, and they have open tins to sample. Black Cat near Norristown has interesting pipe stuff too. If you have time for an hour drive, Wingenroth in Lebanon is worth the drive - they have hundreds of tins and owner Mel is extremely knowledgable.

It'd be a couple of hours for you, but MD has the very pipe oriented Main Street Pipes in Belair and the Fader's in Towson has lots - plus they have a number of fine blends they make themselves.

I guess your main haunts in the Bay Area are are Edward's, Mission Pipes and the Paradise in SJ? I get out to the Golden Gate Club at Telford's a few times a year and mourn Grant's closing downtown SF. East Bay has Piedmont Tobacconist and the other Mission Pipes.

Let me know if you want to get together Monday or whenever. I'm in West Chester.

hp
les

Les i'm so sorry i didn't get a chance to go online while i was here! i'm about to leave for the airport. i did get chance to go to top shelf. great spot! got two tins of St James Woods from 08 and 07, one briar fox from 05, two bombay extra from 05 and one more old Va or VaPer that can't recall. very friendly staff and great prices, especially with the buy four tins et one free promo.

again Les, sorry about flaking out on you. my mo would get annoyed if i brought out the computer. she kept telling me to quit working on my vacation. santa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 pm

sdj - hope you had a good flight and the rain stopped out there. Let me know next time you come visit your Mom. I'll take you to Wingenroth's, which you will love if you like Top Shelf. I need to hit TS soon myself. Glad you liked it. We could get together next time I'm out there too.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

PostSubject: Re: maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?   Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm

lestrout wrote:
sdj - hope you had a good flight and the rain stopped out there. Let me know next time you come visit your Mom. I'll take you to Wingenroth's, which you will love if you like Top Shelf. I need to hit TS soon myself. Glad you liked it. We could get together next time I'm out there too.

hp
les

definitely! let me know when you come this way. hoping to see my mom again in the spring. i'll let you know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

maybe wrong place for this, but any good spots near Philly?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1