HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

You a 1-brander?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TonyS

Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:18 pm

I seem to notice that my collection consists mostly of Savinellis. I've been slowly adding a few other brands like Stanwell, Nording and a few others that I can't remember right now but still, I think the Savs are my favorites. This got me to wondering if some of us stick to solely one or two brands and what would they be. Stand up and be counted. So you a 1-brander?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Nope. Not even close. Proudly so.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Not as such though out of the 80 or so briars I smoke, 1/3 of them are Charatan's, the next 1/3 is evenly divided btw BBB and Savanelli and GBD's, and Dunhills, Pete's, Orlik's, S&R's, and Edwards are divided equally in the last 1/3. Most of my pipe buying was done from 1969 thru 1979 back when all these firms were still self owned and the major players in the pipe markets at B&M's during that time. I will say my Charatan's are my faves and I wish they were still the same firm as they used to be as they made some GREAT pipes Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Never. Not interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:34 pm

How about a variation of the theme? I have several different brands, but go by phases: I go for a couple of years buying exclusively one brand of pipes. Last time it was Cavicchis and before that it was Castellos. Now I'm getting back to Radices exclusively.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sstodvictory

Registration date : 2009-12-05

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:01 pm

I'm a one-brand smoker. The brand is David Johnson (Ozark Mountain Briars) and I'm down to 8 of them. I was up to over 120 pipes of various brands and culled them in 5 waves of selling to get money. Each time I went through the collection to sell some, I always passed up the DJs. The final non-DJ pipes were Wally Frank White Bars, which I also valued highly for good smoking. Great-Estate-Pipes has my last White Bars up for sale on Ebay now.

The DJs have everything I like in a smoking pipe - light weight, looks and comfort. I guess they'll keep me going until I can afford to buy pipes again, but I won't be buying any more new ones.

Steve
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Heck no! My rack might lean a bit toward Savs and Petes, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to either of those brands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiser83

Registration date : 2012-02-22

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:30 am

I have a wide range of makers and quite a few custom pipes but I have a tendency to always fall back on my Pete's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:27 am

Variety's the very spice of life,
That gives it all its flavour.

- William Cowper

Doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:52 am

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Nope. Not even close. Proudly so.

Cool

+1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: You a 1-brander   Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Not really a 1 brander but it seems that most pipes in my collection are Boswell's, Pete's & Savinelli's. Mainly because i like the way they smoke & look/stlye and are in my price range $80-150.00. Would be nice some day to be able to do like some other brothers & collect one from each of the BOB builders.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Variety is a good thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SkagitSmoke

Registration date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:01 pm

Nope and don't really have a desire to be one either. I like variety. That being said, there are certain makers that I've tried that I will buy more of and some I won't but I don't feel married to a particular brand at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Here's probably the ULTIMATE "one -brander" : the French author Georges Simenon who created the pipe smoking Inspector from the Surite, Magrait. GS is said to have only smoked Dunhill pipes and supposedly had over 300 of them and he smoked only ONE tobacco blend in them, Dunhill's Royal Yacht! One pipe brand and one tobacco blend Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
femur

Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 am

I've got quite a few different pipes, Wiley, Mastro de Paja, Tinsky, Zeman, Croci, Posella, etc. My favorites right now are the Tinsky's and my Italian pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 am

I used to be devoted to Bjarne pipes until I discovered the world of Artisan pipes. Now I've got 9 pipes, all by different artisans, but still including one Bjarne high grade.

I've always thought it would be nice to find a pipe maker whose work always spoke to me, but I haven't. This is strangely different from how I collect pottery. I focus on one potter and don't ever waver.

Everyone out there who make excellent pipes are consistently making excellent pipes. However, when it comes to pipes, I've discovered that a specific pipe will speak to me more-so than the body of an artisan's work, no matter how good the body of work is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
cigrmaster

Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:37 pm

I do have a favorite and own 11 of his pipes, but I also have many other artisans and factory pipes. I would never own just one brand just as I would never smoke one blend, I love variety in all things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodsmansbriar

Registration date : 2012-03-05

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Multiple pipes from multiple makers, even customs. Have had many over the two or so years that i've been smoking pipes but I do find that there are certain brands that have smoked, near perfectly compared to the others. Other then that, no specific brand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:46 am

Hawker wrote:
Not really a 1 brander but it seems that most pipes in my collection are Boswell's...Mainly because i like the way they smoke & look/stlye and are in my price range $80-150.00.

This almost exactly mirrors my own thinking. I liked the fact that a local maker was turning out good stuff that was affordable. Seemed like a no-brainer, getting an artisan made pipe for less than most factory low grades. I've since experienced a few other brands, though my Yak is by far the most comfy and expertly made bit and tube that I have the luck to own.

Short life; much to experience.....if you're so inclined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 am

If I had to smoke only one make of pipes I would like it to be Larrysson pipes, but the reality of my pipes is far more sobering.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 am

I am, by no means, a one-brand man. But this guy makes me want to be! The one brand/one blend thing is oddly alluring

monbla256 wrote:
Here's probably the ULTIMATE "one -brander" : the French author Georges Simenon who created the pipe smoking Inspector from the Surite, Magrait. GS is said to have only smoked Dunhill pipes and supposedly had over 300 of them and he smoked only ONE tobacco blend in them, Dunhill's Royal Yacht! One pipe brand and one tobacco blend Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 am

I have over 150 pipes in my collection, and as most of the brothers here on the forum know, my favorite pipe carver hands down is Marco Biagini at Moretti. Marco builds every pipe like he is making it for himself. His stem work is fantastic, and flaws in his stems are non existent.

Most of the time, his pipes which are light enough to easily clench end up selling for around $100. Marco only sells his pipes over the internet and ebay, preferring to eliminate dealers and middlemen who would unnecessarily increase the costs of his pipes. Bottom line is, I always get a very well crafted briar that has been aged at least 10 years before carving, for about the same money that you would expect to pay for a Stanwell, Savinelli, or Peterson.

Plus, his customer service is A+++, and he is always accessible and super easy to personally talk to anytime I have a question about anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bluecrab

Registration date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 am

I would say I'm a one brand smoker. I do have a few other pipes that are factory pipes but my favorites pipes are my Boswells. He is a local artesian and his pipes are very reasonably priced for what you get. The are made to give you a full smoke which is what we are all looking for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
plumbernater

Registration date : 2011-02-26

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:00 am

Most of my pies are Savinelli's . Have a few others, But to be truthful I like my Savinelli's. Im also a one tobacco smoker. Ill try other tabacco from time to time. I just havent found one I like better or as well as what I smoke. All my pipes are bent as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: You a 1-brander?   Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:28 am

One brand?,,no, but all my pipes have met certain strict requirements that meet my needs and conform to my notion of what a pipe should be.

They all have a bowl and a stem.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

You a 1-brander?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: