HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
woodsmansbriar

Registration date : 2012-03-05

PostSubject: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Hey all, not sure if there would be any interest in this from members of this board in particular, but I figured i'd share in the information!

Abilene, Texas is a smallish city about 2.5-3 hours west of Dallas/Ft Worth. We have one traditional tobacconist and a fair bit of pipe smokers in the area. Many come and go into the local B&M and sometimes stop and chat with me. We usually don't hang around at the B&M too much.

In a random kick of inspiration I have decided to attempt to change that by creating a pipe club for the city of Abilene! I haven't decided on meeting times or anything like that but I am attempting to get the word out to see who may be interested (if there is even anyone on this board that is from the area outside of me).

I am currently speaking with the owner of the local B&M in hops of being able to hang up a flyer toting information about the club and hopefully gain their support in the creation of the club. The employees I spoke with seemed rather happy about the idea of a pipe club and are generally in support of the idea, so it sounds like it may very well work out.

Any ideas or comment y'all care to make? I have pretty much no idea what I am doing in terms of running a pipe specific club, but I have many years experience with running school related clubs and other fairly formal clubs, so the actual running is not much of a surprise. I am planning on keeping it all very causal and simple, not making the club formal or anything like that.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:13 pm

http://www.naspc.org/Archives/pipeclub.html great info there. i want to start one in my area as well. there already is one, but it has no web presence and it's almost hard to find out about it. maybe i should just join it and breathe new life into it. good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodsmansbriar

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
http://www.naspc.org/Archives/pipeclub.html great info there. i want to start one in my area as well. there already is one, but it has no web presence and it's almost hard to find out about it. maybe i should just join it and breathe new life into it. good luck!

Thanks for the info and the good vibes! You may considering joining up and giving em a web presence and such, not stepping on toes and that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
somedumbjerk

Registration date : 2012-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 pm

woodsmansbriar wrote:
somedumbjerk wrote:

Thanks for the info and the good vibes! You may considering joining up and giving em a web presence and such, not stepping on toes and that.

yeah that's more what i mean, no toe stepping. from what i hear, the club has been around for a while and they are a bunch of retired guys hanging out having a good time. a lot of younger guys like myself could really use their wisdom, but might need some kind of welcoming into the group. like a facebook group or something. i think they also meet at like 4pm on thursdays at a really sweet beer bar, but i don't get home until 6pm at the earliest. maybe change it into an after dinner time meet. just my experience from the VW groups i joined. either make it a dinner, or right after. weekend stuff is hard for those who work a lot, and after work is pushing it with no food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woodsmansbriar

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:28 pm

somedumbjerk wrote:
woodsmansbriar wrote:
somedumbjerk wrote:

yeah that's more what i mean, no toe stepping. from what i hear, the club has been around for a while and they are a bunch of retired guys hanging out having a good time. a lot of younger guys like myself could really use their wisdom, but might need some kind of welcoming into the group. like a facebook group or something. i think they also meet at like 4pm on thursdays at a really sweet beer bar, but i don't get home until 6pm at the earliest. maybe change it into an after dinner time meet. just my experience from the VW groups i joined. either make it a dinner, or right after. weekend stuff is hard for those who work a lot, and after work is pushing it with no food.

Yeah makes sense. I think they'd be open to maybe having a second time or something. Best of luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tyler

Registration date : 2008-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 pm

You're talking about the Leaf, I assume? The owner there is a nice guy and a big pipe collector. I met him in Chicago at the pipe show this summer. I later went and spent a pleasant few hours with him at his shop. I bet he'd be very supportive.

I'm in Midland, and would have loved to make the drive for a meeting now and again, but I'm moving to Oklahoma.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tylerlanepipes.com
woodsmansbriar

PostSubject: Re: Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!   Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:38 pm

tyler wrote:
You're talking about the Leaf, I assume? The owner there is a nice guy and a big pipe collector. I met him in Chicago at the pipe show this summer. I later went and spent a pleasant few hours with him at his shop. I bet he'd be very supportive.

I'm in Midland, and would have loved to make the drive for a meeting now and again, but I'm moving to Oklahoma.

Good luck!

Yep yep the leaf, Midland is an interesting town, was there like two weeks ago for a holiday party. Getting pretty crowded. Cool about the pipe show deal!

I am still waiting to hear back from the owner but I suppose that'd come in time ha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Starting an Abilene, Texas Pipe Club!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1