HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Who here has a taste for the high class booze - Champagne?

Not the cheap crap like Andre or other sparkling wine that passes itself off for the real thing. I mean like the real stuff such as Dom Perignon or the like.

I'll admit my experience with this hoity toity likker has been limited. After all I'm a beer guy first and foremost (Duh).

Of course I've had the ubiquitous $8 bottle of "Champagne" over the years. And then, back at NYE in '89 when my band was performing at a big do at a local hotel (our house gig for several years), one of the staff after the gig offered me a small taste of the fabled Dom Perigon.

Well slap my ass and call me Shirley..........wasn't this an altogether different experience......

cyclops

Of course, the concept of spending $100 on a single bottle of anything intoxicating just wasn't on my "must do" list back then. Priorities. After all it was '89.....well almost '90...... but still...........

So what does all this have to do with the topic question? Bear with me as I won't bore you much longer.

So it came to pass that in Dec '97 I separated from my former employer (or did they separate from me?). I resolved then and there to make NYE a celebration to beat all celebrations, and in due course determined to get in a bottle of the coveted bubbly. But which one????

Not really sure who suggested it but La Grande Dame came up in some discussion. Supposedly it was superior to Dom, at least according to him. I checked it out and found it sold for some $140/bottle.........well above what Dom was selling for at the time.

While this was indeed a stupid expensive price (to me at least), I soon found myself in possession of the Dame. Guess I figured that if I was to do this only once in my life, this would be the right time. And me with no job yet!!

I planned the NYE celebration accordingly. Just myself, a meal fit for a King which included fresh pasta (lemon pepper pasta and fresh garlic sauteed in butter with plenty of fresh grated Parmesean as I remember), and the Dame.

And the bubbly....What a glorious bottle it was! Don't specifically remember the tasting notes, but it was like magic. I could clearly see what all the fuss was about, and at the same time knowing it was a one time thing.

Twisted Evil

All that to say after all these years I have not been motivated to repeat the experience. Haven't priced the high class bubbly, but figure it's well beyond my modest means.

So the question is this - who here will be celebrating NYE with the top shelf stuff?

Me, I'll be imbibing my Sno Falls ales. Works for me!

Razz

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:09 pm

I am a vinophile, but I'm afraid only red wine. I never developed a taste for champagne, I'm afraid. When I do have to buy some (for entertaining and functions), I tend to gravitate toward Spanish Cava - really, sparkling wine from Spain instead of the champagne region of France. In my view, there is much better value in Cava, but then, I am certainly no expert on sparkling wine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doc Manhattan
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

All my "top-shelf" experiences with Champagne were not on my own dime. Most were at a recurring New Year's dinner hosted by a very nice but stereotypically effete New York surgeon. DP from a few choice years, one of the A-list Krugs, and (my favorite) Veuve Clicquot. There's a magical point at which the flavor becomes something like whole-wheat toast. It's as you say, RR, the fuss is really for a reason.

But in the long run, I'll take a $6 Spanish cava and a loaf of Pepperidge Farm whole-wheat. I worked in a wine shop many summers ago, and there I learned that sparkling wine is hands-down the trickiest in terms of value. Your best shot at a better-than-price sparkler is on the cheapest side. If your merchant has a house brand (literally, or a brand that they're sole bulk merchants of) you might have a chance of a mid-range that tastes like the top-shelf, but no promises. I'd rather go cheap, and mix a French 75 if it can't stand alone.

One bottle of fine Champ was the worst I've ever had but the best experience: it was a gift, given at my birth, of 1970 DP, to be saved for a future special occasion. My parents were (no fault of theirs really) not equipped to cellar bottle correctly for 30some years. We popped it open when my son was born last year. It was, remarkably, drinkable liquid, albeit flat and something like cooking sherry, with notes of cork chunks floating about. Lousy wine, wonderful day.

View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
forsooth

Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm off to a gathering on NYE. My job is to bring the champagne, so I headed off to Walmart where I found something called Korbel for $10 a 750 ml. bottle. I bought 3. Everyone will be so inebriated that it won't matter when midnight comes 'round.

I love champagne, but opening a bottle scares me. I'll just stick with beer. I prefer Merlot, but I'm sure an AA meeting would be in my future if I kept it in the house.

For a once-in-a-decade (or 2) celebration, I congratulate you for going the extra mile. I've spent $100++ on less worthy things!

Anyone remember "The Continental" skit on Sat. Night Live with Christopher Walken? "But, first, pleeeze...the shawm-pawn-ya."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:49 am

If I open a bottle of wine tonight, it will likely be a 375ml dessert wine of somekind drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:02 am

Nope, cup of tea I expect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peckinpahhombre

Registration date : 2012-11-02

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 am

Stumbled upon this and thought of this thread:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/12/28/new-years-eve-budget-bubbles/?hpt=hp_bn11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 am

heading out in about an hour to pick up a few bottles!

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mr. Doody

Registration date : 2012-04-14

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 am

peckinpah - i'm a red guy myself - perhaps that's why i enjoy Blanc de Noirs champagnes moreso than the stuff made with chardonnay grapes.

you might check 'em out!

doody.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:58 am

I've got a cheap bottle of J. Roget Brut in the fridge waiting for tonight. My father in law recommended it. Said it was much better than many expensive champagnes he has had.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:06 am

A friend of mine is bringing the champagne for the new year's toast. I'm supplying the rum. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:44 pm

I've never really experienced any of the higher priced champagnes, only ever the cheap stuff and I was never too impressed with it. Unsurprising by the sound of it, seems like you get what you pay for. Ah well, maybe one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ragged claws

Registration date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:06 pm

I'll probably celebrate tonight like I do most nights, with a dram of single malt scotch. I never liked champagne but I've never had any of the good stuff. At over $100 a bottle, I doubt that I ever will.

Happy New Year!

Kim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
s.ireland

Registration date : 2010-08-14

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:18 pm

ragged claws wrote:

I'll probably celebrate tonight like I do most nights, with a dram of single malt scotch. I never liked champagne but I've never had any of the good stuff. At over $100 a bottle, I doubt that I ever will.

Happy New Year!

Kim

I'm with you, Kim! My bottle of choice for New years Eve: Laphroaig 10!

By the way, "ragged claws" as in: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:43 pm

No drinks - waffles!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm

Ginger ale mixed with Ripple. I call it Champipple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:16 pm

Not much into champagne. Korbel is good enough.
I don't think I'd like the pricey stuff any better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:34 pm

gravel wrote:
No drinks - waffles!

cheers

E will probably have mineral water. If he's especially daring he might put some grape juice in it!! Laughing

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave_In_Philly

Registration date : 2011-08-18

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 am

We spend NYE with another couple (my wife and I have been friends with him since grade school and with her since they met in college) and they always put out a nice spread (usually prime rib or something of that ilk). So I considered bring a nice bottle this year, but decided to bring two moderately priced bottles (Veuve Clicquot and Perrier-JouŽt ~$45-50). Although if there is ever justification for excess it would be for the sake of ringing in the new year. One of these days I'll get that bottle of Dom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ragged claws

Registration date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 am

s.ireland wrote:
ragged claws wrote:

Happy New Year!

Kim

I'm with you, Kim! My bottle of choice for New years Eve: Laphroaig 10!

By the way, "ragged claws" as in: "I should have been a pair of ragged claws scuttling across the floors of silent seas"?

Yes indeed! Gotta love T S Eliot.

I too celebrated the eve of the new year with some Laphroaig 10. Great minds do think alike. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:28 pm

I was stone cold sober New Years Eve. My wife got drinking duties and I got the driving duties. I was in bed by 11:00pm.

I did have a bit of celebratory bubbly last night, some Mumm Napa Cuvee M. Good stuff. Reasonably priced and slightly creamy and just a tad sweet.

I can't choke down the any of the Brut stuff. Pure rot-gut dressed up in a fancy bottle. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?   Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 pm

FWIW I was in beddie-bye at my usual time NYE as new years day was just another day at the brewery.

However I did take the precaution of installing earplugs upon retiring since my 'hood erupts in fireworks of the nosiest kind on occasions such as this.

No bubbly for me either.

Boring, ain't I?

Sleep

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online

NYE is upon us - who is having Champagne?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1