HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:19 pm

I found out this morning that Zack's grandmother, Nora, died this past Sunday.

She was 85 years old, stricken with Alzheimer's, was at a nursing home (Jim, Zack's stepgrandfather, known for re-roofing three barns by himself a year ago at age 87, couldn't take care of her--if that says anything). She was the first one that touched off this stream of bad luck we had this year, two weeks prior to Zack's accident falling and breaking her hip at Zack's parents' house. Zack and Nora even had the same orthopaedic surgeon.

What does this all mean? Nothing, most likely. Once again, we're gonna have to take care of Zack's parents on an emotional level, because this has been pretty hard on Zack's dad (Nora was his mother). In fact, they're the ones at the center of this grief, ever since last summer, not necessarily me. They're very strange, loving and the most generous people I know. They've taken me into their family fold, and it's difficult to see them hurting. We, however, are stronger at the moment than we were, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make sure they're okay.

It's tough to say, and maybe a bit macabre, but I'm glad it happened when it happened. I'm not a "numerology" person, but I am conscious of cycles and time periods being better (or worse) than others. 2012 was one of the worst years we've had to endure, and for me personally, that's saying something. In the past, "bad" wasn't so "bad" because when there wasn't anyone to care about, one does little caring for themselves. Add a few loved ones and family, and boy, does perception change everything. A hardened heart is protected, but knows no love. It's been good practice.

Nora was the last piece of 2012 as a year, and she deserved peace. Zack's parents didn't deserve to wait for the other shoe to fall into 2013 either, and now we can all truly get a fresh start. Again, I'm not much on numbers, dates or anything, but sometimes the collective superstitions of people or notions of "endings" and "beginnings" can be used as a kind of fuel, a marker or a decision point, to further a goal or start anew.

2013 will be different on a personal level for me--I don't have a choice.

Will it be different, for the better, for you, too? This is how things change, is each and everyone furthering their good, or working to surpass difficulty and challenges. There is no free lunch, and nothing taken for granted. It's time to work hard, do so for good reason and have a better year. Hope you all can join me in any way you see fit.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alfredo_buscatti

Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:37 pm

You're a tough buzzard, Kyle. May you fare better in the new year!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 pm

My irascible stubbornness and energy have been a savior as often as they have been a pitfall. Laughing

It's just life--it ain't that complicated. Just tough on the mind, sometimes.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm

May this year be a breeze for ya brother. Maybe you can get a job at one of the big online retails as their official tobacco reviewers. You've got the magic tongue. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
dshpipes

Registration date : 2011-03-06

PostSubject: Re: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 pm

i.keenum wrote:
You've got the magic tongue. Very Happy

Shocked Whoa.

In other news, as macabre as it may be to agree, I'm glad to hear that she passed at the end of the year. It seems to represent the closing of a period of trial for you two and I hope it does.

2011 was my incredibly difficult year. 3 deaths in the family that year, totally broke, living with a woman I didn't love. It was a tough one. 2012 really began to ramp up the positive and now, for the first time in years, I feel confident that this year will truly be a great year to remember. It's as if the clouds have finally passed and the sun is finally shining through again.

Lots of positive energy coming your way, Kyle, as usual.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dshpipes.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year   Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Smile Every push helps. I can't say it enough, if it weren't for confidence and the thoughtful people here at BoB, the conversations, the distractions, the kindness, the advice... I'm not sure how I'd take all of this. I'd probably be alright, far more stressed-out and shortening my lifespan because of it. Laughing

Perspective is everything, and boy does my brain create some doozies for me to deal with.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

One Last Reach from 2012 -- Thoughts on The Past Year
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1