HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What was your worst ever smoking pipe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Greyson

Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 am

Just curious about this, I've seen threads on best pipes, and ugliest pipes, but what was the pipe you owned that just smoked the absolute worst?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 am

A mini meer my brother gave me as a gift. The stem was misaligned, the draw was restricted, and the drilling was high and very off center. With a pinky sized bowl you would think it would be a quick smoke. It wasn't.

It smoked like an asthmatic asthma sufferer suffering from the asthmas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel
sisyphus

Registration date : 2012-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

My lone Peterson, gurgled no matter what or how I smoked it. Terrible stem as well, just an all around bad pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sand18f

Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:23 am

A Tim West,paneled, freehand, large bowl, rusticated.
It whistles like a Lionel train.
Wierd pipe...sometimes I love the way it looks...other times, it's the ugliest damn thing ever made. confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:17 am

My first "new pipe," a handmade Nording freehand sitter from Tinder Box. Looks neat, nothing I do makes it smoke right. It really pisses me off.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 am

Dunhill Shell Briar, purchased new from the Dunhill London store back around '01.

Must have been over drilled, the draft hole was waaaaay too open. As a result the pipe smoked hotter than the hub of Hades.

Tried everything to deal with it. Nada. Finally got rid of it.

Mad

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 am

Every pipe I got before I learned how to pack & smoke them properly.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:44 am

I reckon I've been lucky so far, although out of what I have I only smoke 4 pipes. But, there was one that I did have problems with that I no longer smoke, a Savinelli Estella that the draw was open too much.
I have had a few gurgler's in the past but was able to fix it by just opening the tenon a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 am

Funny Laughing

I've paid LL more than a few $$$ over the years to open the airways of pipes that were too tight. It's been money well spent.

Just back off a notch and it all works wonderfully.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Growley

Registration date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 am

....Nervously scanning for the word "Growley" to show up".... Shew, not yet Smile

My worst smoking pipe is my Ben Wade freehand. She gurgles like a baby. The mechanics just aren't there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://GrowleyPipes.com
Hawker

Registration date : 2012-05-15

PostSubject: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?.   Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:33 pm

A made in China (redwood?) $10.00 pipe. You get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Back when I first started smoking I got one of those Ropp cherrywood pipes, the ones that were poker shaped and that had the bark on 'em. Was the wttest, gurggling thing I ever have smoked. I was smoking 759 at that time and it never smoked wet except in THAT pipe ! I still have it and tried it again about a year ago with some McC's oriental #14 and it STILL smoked wet and gurggled ! It looks neat with the bark and all but that's the ONLY good thing I can say about THAT pipe Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 pm

Any pot I've ever had. I just can't make them "go." If I do manage to get the entire surface lit, the tobacco mass becomes a huge ember, giving off very little smoke and burning the hell out of my tongue. I am talking of really wide pots, not the ones that come close to being a billiard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:00 pm

In consideration of Erik Nording, after reading Brian's post...

...Erik, I'm sorry for being brash. Bring the bottle next time you're in Reno and I'll bring the glasses, and it'll all be right as rain.

And you can have the pipe back. Laughing

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:11 pm

The Pipe. Made of some space age material. Smoked hot and wet. You could wash it with the dishes, though. I literally threw it away in disgust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smokinbriar

Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:33 pm

Medico bryon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 pm

I don't think I've ever had a pipe that tasted awful. I'd have to think about that. I've had plenty that weren't great smokes, and I'd have to say that is my definition of "worst smoking pipe". But to play along, I'm going with a Boswell that had a draw the size of a McDonald's straw, and it made everything taste like nothing. I could have smoked dried cow pies and had no idea what they were. A tobacco incinerator that offered zero flavor. Nothing worse than no flavor, at least not in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Harlock999

Registration date : 2010-10-22

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Yak wrote:
Every pipe I got before I learned how to pack & smoke them properly.

What a Face

Same here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:52 am

Zeno Marx wrote:
I don't think I've ever had a pipe that tasted awful. I'd have to think about that. I've had plenty that weren't great smokes, and I'd have to say that is my definition of "worst smoking pipe". But to play along, I'm going with a Boswell that had a draw the size of a McDonald's straw, and it made everything taste like nothing. I could have smoked dried cow pies and had no idea what they were. A tobacco incinerator that offered zero flavor. Nothing worse than no flavor, at least not in my book.

Zeno, I agree wholeheartedly, my Sav Estella was that way. Now it sits in the rack waiting.
You mentioned bad tasting, Oh I have one to fit that category, an estate cob I had that was way over due on a salt treatment.
It made everything taste like you where smoking a bowl of soggy doodle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smoker99

Registration date : 2010-08-23

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:13 am

Two Petes I bought in the seventies. Hot, wet smokers, and never could get them broken in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lemnisc8

Registration date : 2011-03-05

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:57 am

My dunhill cavilier. The bloody thing cannot stay lit. Don't know why I keep it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Lemnisc8 wrote:
My dunhill cavilier. The bloody thing cannot stay lit. Don't know why I keep it.

Toss that dadburn thing in a box, I'll take it off your hands. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm

Some itty bitty bowled grabow from rite aid. Hot wet tight draw smoked like it was made of plastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:16 pm

The one I bought from Tia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gravel

Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: What was your worst ever smoking pipe?   Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:19 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
The one I bought from Tia.

Nice call back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Gravel

What was your worst ever smoking pipe?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next