HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Windows update

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tgwilt

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Quote :
As far as crashes go, I can say that they all crash sometimes, it's just part of life.

When I whored in IT (oops, I meant worked), and used all kinds of OS (windoze, mac, bsd, linux, aix, irix, etc) I arrived at this inescapable conclusion:

if all operating systems were designed to suck, then they are working to specifications.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tgwilt

Registration date : 2011-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 pm

i.keenam,

I feel your pain. Often wondered why the following test was never administered:

OK, [user] before we can let you use a computer you need to pass this little test. Step one, find your butt with your left hand. Good, well done! Now find your butt with your right hand. Capital job good fellow. For the third and final part find your butt with both hands.

Ohhh, I'm so sorry, you'll have to come back after training.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

What maybe hasn't figured into the attitude of you young bucks is that you came up with this stuff. Everything new was an increment beyond what you were already on top of.

By the time old farts decided to start, that train was 20 miles down the track. Making your implied assumption that if they'd just get a move on and catch up, all would be well beyond unrealistic.

And the worst part is, the stuff changes so rapidly there aren't even books you can trust. Learned that the hard way with "Macs for Idiots." The procedures in the book were for versions that had been superceded already and involving features that had been shuffled around and morphed into different ones.

Laugh if you want. Your day will come . . . Twisted Evil

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:16 pm

Yak, reduced to mere generation separation curses and soothsaying commentary. Laughing

If you only knew the growing old-school appreciation and quasi-Luddite awakening that's already afoot.

Kids these days, never happy with anything for five minutes...including things only five minutes old...so, they travel back in time for infinite possibility and discovery. Who knew?

Yeah, you told us so, ya old goat. Long live "young coots." Razz

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Then why is retro stuff like smoking a pipe so hip ?

And old-timey hats.

Must fill some kind of void in them . . . Neutral

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Yak wrote:
Then why is retro stuff like smoking a pipe so hip ?

And old-timey hats.

Must fill some kind of void in them . . . Neutral

What a Face

For the exact reason I specified, Yak. There's hardly much new and exciting (what, a new phone version release...?), and it's just long enough of a pause between these days and yesteryear that the reach is going in the other direction. It's been slowly crawling that way since about the mid 1990s. Disposable society quickening. You came from a generation looking forward, with imagination and expectation, with classic generation gaps, solid periods of music genre, there was a fence between the peers. Now, much of that is ambiguous, but the yearning for something still exists.

Youthful-type-think is the bizarre and new could always be more interesting than a classic, and the aged wouldn't give up their tried-and-true for all the contemporary on earth. The problem is, new and bizarre becomes that generation's classic: and that's where the problem is. Nothing is solid enough to support that kind of expectation (what, a new phone version release...?), and so it's a blast back to the past. Some may play with it like a toy, others make it a historical/social/archivist kind of life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:33 am

I understand not knowing because of age difference , but these people use the machines to make their living. It's like being a mechanic and asking what side the gas pedal is on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:45 am

More like you're the mechanic, and the professional driver is calling and asking where the gas pedal is, you tell him, he talks to you like you're the idiot because the car still isn't going anywhere, and over the phone discovering he's mashing down on the brake the whole time. Meanwhile, solving the problem includes it being the mechanic's fault he didn't inform said professional driver there's two (and sometimes three) pedals that need to be used, and now the driver is going to get in trouble because he hasn't gotten any work done. That's I.T. for ya.

This is why I'm now training to be a geologist. Rocks don't talk, but tell me exactly what I need to know.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:55 am

You know what is funny , is that when I was little I collected all kinds of rocks and wanted to be a geologists when I grow grew up. Ever had a rock tumbler?
Back to top Go down
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 am

When I was little I collected the Nazi's out of army men packs and wanted to be a Dark Overlord
Back to top Go down
View user profile
i.keenum

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:11 am

Shocked Why am I surprised. lol!
Back to top Go down
deepbass9

Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Hermit wrote:
What wouldda
happened if my UPS ran out while these
updates were installing?

Banter aside, the answer to your question is basically, nothing. The machine would reboot and you'd be prompted again to download and/or install the updates that didn't take. That's all...no explosions. jocolor Other than those you saw here...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 pm

Ian, there's mineralogists, rock hounds and geologists. All pretty much do the same thing, but the scale goes from micro to macro pretty quickly...that said, a rock tumbler isn't useful for me, but for rock hounds, it's essential. I hire drill rigs to go 1500 feet into bedrock, that's my kind of toy. Twisted Evil Meanwhile, a rock hammer, some hydrochloric acid, a loupe, camera and notepad are my base tools of trade. If I collect rock samples, they go right to the geochemistry lab after I've hauled them from the site.

PS, keep rock hounding, it's awesome. I pick up cool ones once in a while that catch my eye. I usually give 'em to people that otherwise might not ever see them.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

This laptop was purchased several years back with Vista-Home, and ran like crap.

Wiped it out and went back to XP-Pro SP3 and no problems at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Vista was such a boondoggle. I mean, Windows 7 runs basically on the same platform (NT) but they made it more reliable and easier to use--Vista just wasn't ready, and they had to release. Windows 7 is akin to XP (figuratively), Vista (and probably Cool is "Millennium Edition" (ME) to relate them all. Good ol' MickeySoft taking too long to release stuff before it's time. They don't care. Laughing

Considering I've been fortunate to have permission to use general use license keys for every Windows product I've used, I've never paid a dime for an operating system.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

deepbass9 wrote:
Hermit wrote:
What wouldda
happened if my UPS ran out while these
updates were installing?

Banter aside, the answer to your question is basically, nothing. The machine would reboot and you'd be prompted again to download and/or install the updates that didn't take. That's all...no explosions. jocolor Other than those you saw here...

Holy Smokes! I finally got a serious answer. lol!
Thanks. My biggest fear was that I would be left with a crippled operating system.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aristokles

Registration date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Windows update   Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

Rob_In_MO wrote:
This laptop was purchased several years back with Vista-Home, and ran like crap.

Wiped it out and went back to XP-Pro SP3 and no problems at all.

I'm with you on this. And I am not looking forward to MS discontinuing XP support in the near future.

Windows 7 then, no 8 for me, if it is anything like Ubuntu 11, that is. And it sure looks like it. Loved my Ubuntu until 11. Hate it now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Windows update
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2