HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

The Coldblooded

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Vito

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:37 pm

I know there are some "nice" snakes, but I prefer to keep my distance.

Snake Story: Last July, Mrs. Vito was out in the vegetable garden, which is next to the 6' slumpstone block wall that divides our property from our neighbor's. At one point, she stood up within 3' of the wall, and there on the top, all coiled up, was a rattler. She fled and fetched yours truly.

How he got up there is beyond me. We have a wilderness area across the street behind us, and there are plenty of rattlesnakes up there, but he (or one of his forebears) would have had to cross at least one street at some point to get onto the block wall, which runs the length of the whole block, and probably has enough unlandscaped areas to shelter a snake nest.

Anyhow, there I was, keeping my distance from this guy, who was eyeballing me, tongue flicking, and rattle shaking (but with no sound!), thinking, "What to do?" My first thought (I admit it) was to grab a 2x4 and just nudge him over the wall into the neighbor's yard...as downright irresponsible an action as has ever occurred to me. Second thought was to grab a shovel and chop it...another option I dismissed immediately. The snake can't help what it is, and probably would have been happy not to be around humanoids anyway. Can't blame him.

Plan C formed up pretty quickly. I had just bought a spare PowerMac G5 on eBay, and it came in a big honkin', heavy-duty box. I put it next to the wall, wide open, and used the shovel to gently pull the snake off the wall...PLOP!!...right into the box. While he was still going, "Huh...WTF?!", I quickly closed the flaps, taped it shut, stuck it in the shade, and called County Animal Control.

The gal who showed up (...it was a Sunday...and they actually work on Sunday. Miracles do occur!) was pretty cool, but she was glad she didn't have to capture the snake herself. "What are you gonna do with it?", I asked. "Easy", she said, "I'll take it across the street to the wilderness area and turn it loose." OK, cool. They don't kill them. Fine by me.

At any rate, I generally don't do guilt by association, but more close encounters with rattlers than I ever needed have kinda creeped me out about snakes in general. I'll leave the snakes to others who have a better appreciation for their virtues.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
Jacob the coldblooded

Registration date : 2013-01-16

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Wild Snakes are what they are, But a pet. bought from a store, or adopted from a shelter, will show more affection to it's owner than most will claim true. My boa (a 9ft Male) is shy, scared of people touching his tail, and loves more than anything a good chin scratching.

Give a snake a try and you wont be disappointed. I've changed a lot of opinions about snakes by taking him out to visit, sweet as can be!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.advancedwildlife.com/
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Veet, snakes are a daily occurrence when I'm doing my work in the wilds of Northern Nevada. Far from the chase-you-down-and-murder-you villains some (not you, necessarily) think they are, I just walk around any snakes I find. I wear good boots in case I chance upon one too closely before I can react, and the snake does, instead. I dig your story about just sending him on his way...it's not his fault, he's just bein' a snake. Very Happy Though depending on how much I liked my neighbors... :ponder: Twisted Evil

Cool
snakes ARE my neighbors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:40 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
...Though depending on how much I liked my neighbors... :ponder: Twisted Evil
I barely know my neighbors, Kyle. I know the folks on either side of me and across the street well enough to address them by name and say "Hi", or loan them an extension ladder now and then, and I know few of the other folks who live in the 35 homes on our street (a no-outlet, double cul-de-sac, with access by a small connector street with no homes on it). But none of the folks who live here interact with any other others in a social context. I sometimes think most of us came here to mind our own business and be left alone. OK with me.

I guess it's a characteristic of the relatively new SoCal "neighborhood", all of whose denizens came from somewhere else. In our case, we have a polyglot deal going — ABC's (American-born Chinese), some direct imports from Taiwan, Koreans, Hispanics, Japanese, and some "regular 'Mericans", if there is any such thing. Anyhow, everyone behaves in a reasonably neighborly way, but as far as I can tell there are no '50s sitcom-style next-door friendships. Also no wars. It works.

Kyle Weiss wrote:
Cool snakes ARE my neighbors
Right...I get it. Prolly better than having neighbors who are Snakes™, if thou catchest mon drifte.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
serif365

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:58 pm

You know, I now understand what I like about BoB...you never know what you're going to be reading next!!!

I wonder if pipe smoke would affect a snake...sure does strange things to my cat Bill. cat What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:10 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
If you own snakes, you must also own Japanese-style swords on a rack. Laughing I think it's some unspoken law. Razz

I am thinking your logic here is entirely correct. I once had a friend who owned a gorgeous Burmese python and he had a rack of swords!. He also had a big rottweiler named Yoda. When you sat down on his couch, Yoda would come around & rest his head in your crotch and growl at you until you scratched him behind his ears. The dog was actually a big wimp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
...Yoda would come around & rest his head in your crotch and growl at you until you scratched him behind his ears.
Somehow I suspect that George Lucas never anticipated that one.

jocolor
Back to top Go down
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

serif365 wrote:
You know, I now understand what I like about BoB...you never know what you're going to be reading next!!!

I wonder if pipe smoke would affect a snake...sure does strange things to my cat Bill. cat What a Face

It does, its very bad for all reptiles. I talked to a few experts and was very disappointed that i would not be able to smoke indoors. oh well Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 am

Pets are a good reason not to smoke inside, generally speaking. We have a choice, they don't...unless it's a cat with a pet door that can high-tail it outta there when the Latakia starts to waft. Razz (...or have one that sticks its nose into the smoke, which I've also seen...)

Veet, sounds like to me the classic California suburb...I prefer to know my neighbors and at least get a feel for 'em. Have a beer outside on hot nights once in a while, shoot the crap occasionally, borrow the random hair dryer for re-bending a pipe stem. Otherwise, it ain't a bad thing to keep to ones self. I've had terrific neighbors and terrible ones...funny thing is, the worse the neighbors on one side of you, the better it is to get to know the good ones: the neighborhoods I've lived in kind of require that. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

Indoors : Lacy the cat started out leaving the room in a hurry whenever I'd light a pipe. Probably natural. But by degrees she's come to love tobacco. I leave used pipe cleaners laying around that have maybe one more use left (with or without snipping the ultra-dark brown tips off) ; she gets these, curls up comfortably with them between her paws, and licks the (used) ends. Loves the stuff.

Looks like Vitamin N might have the effect it's famous for with a wider range of creatures than we suspect . . .

Neighbors : I make it a point to get down with the biggest, meanest, nastiest inmates in the group. Guys (mostly doing life) who would intimidate your typical "bad" housing project neighbor twelve ways from Sunday. It's pretty easy, really -- a "human touch" skill you develop. When you're on a friendly basis with the Alpha wolves, you're situated comfortably. A little light-hearted banter and running gag go a long way -- there are environments where little things really do mean a lot, and inside a prison is one of them.

FWIW

What a Face
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Yak wrote:

Looks like Vitamin N might have the effect it's famous for with a wider range of creatures than we suspect . . .

Sure! Goats love the stuff, so do cows...in NC I've witnessed them chewing out the center, tender leaves of a few homegrown 'bacca attempts.

Yak wrote:
When you're on a friendly basis with the Alpha wolves, you're situated comfortably.

For sure. It's no different anywhere. In my sordid youth this was foundational street-wisdom. These days, it's fundamental business sense.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:09 pm

wow, i'm surprised by the amount of feedback on this post. Does anyone else have any type of odd animal?
Back to top Go down
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Slide wrote:
We have a few Ball Pythons. They are the quite pets. We also have a Quaker parrot and dogs.

Do you have any pictures of them to post?
Back to top Go down
Slide

Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Jacob the coldblooded wrote:
Slide wrote:
We have a few Ball Pythons. They are the quite pets. We also have a Quaker parrot and dogs.

Do you have any pictures of them to post?

I'll check. I recently sold 5. I got rid of two pastels, a yellow belly, a pin stripe and a normal. I have a Fire and 3 normals left. Although one normal really looks like it may have something special about her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah post the pictures if you have the time, why did you sell? are you breeding?
Back to top Go down
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:14 pm

I have a betta and a chinchilla. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Kyle Weiss wrote:
I have a betta and a chinchilla. Laughing

My sister has two chinchillas, they're awesome haha!
Back to top Go down
Slide

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:30 pm

Yeah post the pictures if you have the time, why did you sell? are you breeding?

I had plans to but I travel a great deal and quite often the timing is out of my control. Add to that the company I work for shut down our offices. My job offer was to work from home. So my home office took up the area the track was set up in.

I met some young guys that were really interested in it so I cut them a GREAT deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Hopefully ill be able to start schooling soon for a zoology masters. My fiance however, has dreams of traveling to more than a handful of places, haha. We'll be crossing that bridge when we get there!

Be safe in your travels!
Back to top Go down
Slide

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 pm

I meant to say "rack" not "track" but you knew that Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Slide wrote:
I meant to say "rack" not "track" but you knew that Laughing

i dont know, do snakes like riding trains? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jacob the coldblooded

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Those pythons aren't to blame. The issue is people who buy them as pets then let them go because of various reasons. The snakes are just trying to survive.
On a side note, i keep Ball pythons. that only get to aprox. 5ft. And a single boa that gets to a max of 9 1/2 ft.

People need to be better informed before buying animals.
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:47 pm

Most definitely!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

PostSubject: Re: The Coldblooded   Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:35 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Most definitely!

Wait...wait...this is crazy. Pets aren't something to buy on a whim because you're bored on the weekend or because you or your kids think it's SOOOooOOoOOOooo cute, or because it's the newest trend in fashion magazines?

I'm still not following... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Coldblooded
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: